Anyone been in a Muslim country during Ramadan?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'll have a total blast in Dubai! Heck you can even go snowboarding if you really want to! http://www.skidubai.com/ (Or if you can't snowboard you can always get a Ski Dubai t-shirt)

As for eating I'd stick to more of the tourist sections of the cities you are visiting because they most likely will have food for you.

Have fun hon. It will be a trip of a life time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wildfire203

I am deployed to Iraq right now and I'm going to take your question to my husband who is Military Intellegence and and let you know what he says but my 1SG say you really prob shouldn't go.
I probably wouldn't go if I was wearing a military uniform, but I think it will be fine
There's so many Westerners who live in Dubai, and it is such a bustling business city. I haven't heard of any terrorist attacks or any problems in Dubai?

I'm only going to be there for 2 1/2 days, and will be there with my husband.

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

A former co-worker has been going to Israel alone as a woman and never had a problem. Unless there was a war in the area I was going to, i wouldn't let it stop me - otherwise you are just letting the bad guys win and you can get killed crossing the road.

Sarah, I sent an email to my uncle, he went to Dubai on business a few years ago and stayed into Ramadan. I don't recall him mentioning any problems, but he rarely gets to leave the hotel when he is away on business as he rents a conference room there so probably ate at the hotel.

One thing I do remember was he had to puchase some special type of insurance and show it before he was allowed entry. I know he said the shops were open late and he got our gifts at midnight even before Ramadan and alcohol was not served in the hotel during Ramadan.
I agree. I think my aunt only warned me because we won't be able to get food and drink from public places during the day, which may diminish the experience, not that we wouldn't be safe.

Thanks for sending the email, I'll be interested to hear what he says.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm going to be in Dubai for 3 days during Ramadan this year. Will it be ok being a Westerner? Am I going to be able to get meals, and see sights and things like that? I don't know a lot about Ramadan, but got warned that it may not be a good time to be in Dubai, but I don't have much of a choice about timing.
yea, you will be fine.
bad part is, you will find many business and cultural events are shut down.
or only half working. Many places you wont be able to buy food or water during the day. Unless you stick to hotels and such.

Also if you with someone that is muslim, its normaly a good idea to respect there fasting time, and not tease them about how good something taste,
no matter how fun it may seem to do lol

PS dont wear super short , dress, or shorts, etc. also if its that time of the month for you, there may be places where you not allowed to go into.

lol i went there twice when my cousin was singing at a hotel.not my cup of tea

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

also if its that time of the month for you, there may be places where you not allowed to go into.
How in god's name would anyone know?

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My son's inlaws teach in Abu Dhabi in the UAE. The kids went to see them during Ramadan. Out of repsect, they didn't eat during the day out in public, snacks etc. They loved it there, went to Dubai, 7 star restaurants and camped out on the desert. They came back alive.

The inlaws are with them in Florida now for eight weeks for their holiday, because Florida is not as hot as the UAE in summer.
When we went to the kids wedding in Singapore, we met all the English relatives and they all travelled at every chance they got. Their kids have been more places than I have. I heard a lot of negativity at work when I told people where I was going.
I would go in a heartbeat, we have an open invitation, so maybe one of these days. Sarah, I would go if you have the chance. But then again I went to Bali a few weeks after the last bombing over there, so consider that.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looking at the US state department's website (http://travel.state.gov/), the United Arab Emirates looks reasonably safe. They have the general mideast/N Africa be cautious of risks of terrorism warning, but there isn't any specific problem with the UAE or Dubai in particular. Except don't go boating in the disputed waters between Iran and the UAE and don't take pictures of/try to map high-value targets. You seem to be perfectly comfortable with the security, but I thought others here might be interested in it. Apparently, "Crime generally is not a problem for travelers in the UAE." Nice.

I think everybody's covered the "just don't be rude about eating in front of other people during daylight" bit; I've never been to a predominantly Muslim country during Ramadan, but that advice simply makes sense!

Just for your amusement and reading pleasure (and, yes, they put risks of kidnapping and the like in this section; just go read Mexico's entry; it's really, really long):

The extent of the "Crime" entry for the UAE:
Crime generally is not a problem for travelers in the UAE. However, the U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to take normal precautions against theft, such as not leaving a wallet, purse, or credit card unattended. Although vehicle break-ins in the UAE are rare, U.S. citizens are encouraged to ensure that unattended vehicles are locked and that valuables are not left out in plain sight.
Just for contrast, here's the "Crime" entry for Canada:
Although criminal activity in Canada is more common in urban areas, violent crimes such as murder, armed robbery and rape can occur throughout the country. Visitors to large cities should be aware that parked cars are regularly targeted for opportunistic smash-and-grab thefts, and they are cautioned to avoid leaving any possessions unattended in a vehicle, even in the trunk. Due to the high incidence of such crimes, motorists in Montreal, Vancouver and some other jurisdictions can be fined for leaving their car doors unlocked or for leaving valuables in view. Auto theft in Montreal and Vancouver, including theft of motor homes and recreational vehicles, may occur in patrolled and overtly secure parking lots and decks. SUVs appear to be the particular targets of organized theft.

While Canadian gun control laws are much more strict than those of the U.S., such laws have not prevented gun-related violence in certain areas of Toronto.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

PS dont wear super short , dress, or shorts, etc. also if its that time of the month for you, there may be places where you not allowed to go into.

Originally Posted by Renovia

How in god's name would anyone know?
Maybe they check?

And I don't wear anything super short, but I thought I might go get some lightweight trousers, and some long sleeve cotton shirts to wear to be on the safe side.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am jealous!

I don't think you will have a problem either, Dubai is more modernized than Columbus
Such gorgeous architecture. Really, the only problem would be from just being in an unfamiliar place, which is true anywhere you go.

I keep seeing pictures of Dubai and it just looks like some sort of Disney world-of-the-future come to life. Especially the projected outcome of that Burj Dubai, to be the new tallest building in the world (not the sailboat looking one...). And those apartment buildings that twist around 360 degrees.

Do some shopping!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Maybe they check?
They will ask.
and no i am not kidding.

i can post a pic of sign that says , if its that time, your not allowed to enter. lol.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

They will ask.
and no i am not kidding.

i can post a pic of sign that says , if its that time, your not allowed to enter. lol.
Sarah you can always lie and say it isn't that time and hope they don't do a physical.
Oh wait - they may have sniffer dogs - no, muslim dogs - probably not. LOL

I would love to go to Dubai and I think it's fantastic that you have the opportunity to do so. The one poster was right on the money - the write-up to Dubai was better than for Canada and I consider Canada a very safe country compared to many others, so go, enjoy and get lots of photos to share with us.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

This is Hindu, not Muslim, at one of the temples we went to. No. 5 had us scratching our heads...

lol yea, signs like that.

i had that talk with the wife more then once.
how the rules where good back then, there are ways now to stop the leaking.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

This is Hindu, not Muslim, at one of the temples we went to. No. 5 had us scratching our heads...

No. 5 means simply, if there has been a death in the family (one would assume a close male relative or husband), the lady would not be allowed to enter. "Duka" means in mourning.