Anybody Mix Dry Foods?

AlexPurrkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mix dry kibble for cost reasons, and have had good results sofar. Its one way to get a better quality food into my kitten without completely breaking the bank. I'm also hoping it will encourage him to keep an open mind to different food and not become a terribly picky eater.

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always wondered if mixing kibble brands would throw off the percentage numbers of the food. I've considered mixing brands but worry that I might mess up nutritional balance of vitamins and minerals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as every kibble you feed is a complete kibble, you shouldn't get any nutritional deficiencies from mixing brands. I think most commercial cat food (wet or dry) is at least nutritionally complete. That's not to say that it's all equally healthy, of course. In terms of protein/fat/carbs etc you'll just end up with an average of the two brands if you mix equally.

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats LOVE what I call “junk food” (like Meow Mix or Kit n Kaboodle) so I mix it with a higher quality kibble. I’ve been doing this for years - it stretches the budget for the expensive stuff and the cats seem to be more interested in eating the dry food when the junk food is mixed in than when it’s the fancy stuff by itself.