Anybody here Bake-Need help

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody, at this time of year I bake cupcakes for all of my friends, well I started on friday baking 4 dozen cupcake, burnt them all (while following the instructions on the box) I know I can keep them in for less time but I notice that they shrink! I mean they are small!!! Anybody know why this happens? Any help is appreciated, thanks

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, cupcakes shrink.

I fill the muffin cups quite full, over 3/4 full and find they come out a decent size.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Yes, cupcakes shrink.

I fill the muffin cups quite full, over 3/4 full and find they come out a decent size.
same here, although I know opening the oven to check on them can make them shrink too as well as baking them too long

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you use cup liners? I always do (for sake of clean up and not wanting to grease anything).

What type of oven are you using and what type of pans. And have you noticed anything else you bake not coming out right?

Ovens always have some temperature variance, but sometimes they can be really off.

You gave me a good idea, though. My MIL was really pushing for me to bake people stuff this year.
I'm only ok at making cookies and my smaller electric oven crisps up just about everything. Muffins, on the other hand, I'm really good at making.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the oven is too hot. I would buy a thermometer meant for oven to check the temp vs what the dial you are setting says.
You could also not put the muffin tin on the lowest rack but the next one up.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the oven maybe being too hot. I've started baking ALL my cakes (cupcake and regular) at 325 for a bit longer.

An oven thermometer might not be a bad idea either. You can get one for less than $10 (non-digital).

Good luck!!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a big fan of using the silicon baking things for cupcakes. I love to make mini-muffins in the "pan." For regular size muffins, I use the silicon muffin liners. I read once that the silicon stuff works really well for muffins.

Are you using a convection oven because time and temps vary for cooking - less time and lower temperature. I would also try to check the muffins at the shortest time suggested. Stick in a toothpick and see if it comes out clean.

I don't use the mixes, however, so I don't know exactly what the directions. I have a killer recipe for blue, blueberry muffins if you want me to PM it to you.

Oh, yes they will shrink. That is how they get they dense flavor. I suggest filling them 2/3 full like many recipes suggest.