Anybody have experience with Rescue Remedy???

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescue remedy works wonders in sick animals, simply squirt it into their mouths (works great in reviving cat-battered mice & birds, so that they come out of shock and are able to be relocated safely outside - not that my cats go outside but my mum's do).  

But for travelling I recommend herbal valerian tablets or essence.  Cats find the smell of valerian extremely enticing, a bit like catnip.  However, it calms them down rather than speeds them up.  Be warned though that cats may like the smell of valerian but I for one find it most unpleasant.  

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
What I'm wondering about is how often can I give this to him to calm him down? Every day? More than once a day? will he get addicted to it where he will need higher doses all the time? I don't need an addicted cat who is already a pain in the patooti. He likes catnip and gets his jollies from a catnip banana.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
@segelkatt   Rescue Remedy is only for use in an emergency situation or for very short term use, because the flower essences are preserved in brandy.  And alcohol is toxic to cats (as it is to humans in large quantities).  The shock associated with vet visits, travel, injury, new people & places, etc are seen as "emergency" situations.  Short term use may be for a couple of uses for a couple of days, but not continually or permanently.  

If he needs general, long term, de-stressing try a Feliway diffuser plug, which gives out cat calming pheromones.  Or you can buy other cat calming aids like ready made treats, and topical application drops.  Look on Amazon under 'cat calming'.  

vorpalangel79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had never heard of this until recently when someone on another thread recommended t for my formerly mentally abused foster cat who freaks out from any new person walking in, he literally bounces off the walls trying to get out of the room where this new person is. I put 4 drops on 4 pieces of kibble which he is not supposed to have but loves dearly about an hour before a prospective cat parent showed up. He was as calm as could be, wary  but nevertheless let her pet him and eventually sat in her lap for a short time. A few days later I did the same with another prospective cat parent with the same result. So far one of them turned out to be not suitable, she has a little yappy dog and seems to be a little unbalanced herself and I have not heard back from the other. I just wonder how often I can give this to the cat as when he does not have it he is his usual fearful self, runs from me and acts as if I were going to beat him, I have never even raised my voice to him. He has been with me for over two years and he is much better but I need to find him a forever home. He is now 4 1/2 years old. I know this is an old thread, I hope somebody still looks at it.  
Hearing about your poor foster kitty breaks my heart. I truly hope you find him his forever home, every animal deserves that and it sounds like he, more than most, has earned it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@segelkatt   Rescue Remedy is only for use in an emergency situation or for very short term use, because the flower essences are preserved in brandy.  And alcohol is toxic to cats (as it is to humans in large quantities).  The shock associated with vet visits, travel, injury, new people & places, etc are seen as "emergency" situations.  Short term use may be for a couple of uses for a couple of days, but not continually or permanently.  

If he needs general, long term, de-stressing try a Feliway diffuser plug, which gives out cat calming pheromones.  Or you can buy other cat calming aids like ready made treats, and topical application drops.  Look on Amazon under 'cat calming'.  
The Rescue Remedy for pets does not contain alcohol

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Just got info from my vet. He said Rescue Remedy DOES NOT have alcohol in it. He also said that, like catnip, not all cats will react to it and that it will only work for a certain length of time and then wear off, just like catnip. He said I can give it to him every day and he will not become "addicted" to it. I will have to watch and see for how at a time it works for him and then try to give it to him again and see if it calms him down again.  

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just got info from my vet. He said Rescue Remedy DOES NOT have alcohol in it. He also said that, like catnip, not all cats will react to it and that it will only work for a certain length of time and then wear off, just like catnip. He said I can give it to him every day and he will not become "addicted" to it. I will have to watch and see for how at a time it works for him and then try to give it to him again and see if it calms him down again.  
The Human one does have alcohol unless the formula has changed in the last few years, while the pet formula does not. I never had any success with it in my cats.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both and human and the pet versions. The only way I've been able to give it out is coating it on freeze dried treats. I bought it for the drive from Phoenix to DC. I couldn't get my cat to use it because when he's worked up in the car, he's dazed and not looking to have a treat.
After we moved in and he started having a spraying problem due to anxiety, I gave it to him. It put him on his butt for a half hour the first time, and in the following days he grew a tolerance. Eventually he was given a prescription for Prozac. I think I may have tried it with the other male, but it didn't really do anything. He got put on Prozac too for spraying the house down.
Yes my cats are on prescription drugs. Yes we exhausted all other options. Yes they had full medical work ups to rule out any health issues.