Anybody Have A Pot Belly Pig As A Pet?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! So our rescue was contacted about taking in a pot belly pig, one of the miniature ones that people keep indoors. I don't know anything about them... any tips? I know they should be spayed/neutered because of hormones and they can be litter trained...
The person that has her took her off of someone who was going to use her as dog food but she can't keep her...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure on the age... They don't know as they took her in a hurry when the person said dog food...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to call my vet Monday morning and see if they do pig spays and if they don't if they can refer me to someone who does... I hate to think how much that costs...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that you can only neuter the males. But, that is in hogs so it may be different than PBP.
The only experience I have with pigs was my friend's hog. She used to feed him vegetables. Corn, tomato, zucchini etc..

Edited to add: I also know that pigs can catch most human viruses. Like colds, so be careful when you handle him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. Poor (not so) little guy. Good luck with him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dr. Jeff on TV spays pigs frequently.

What are you feeding him?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't even sure pigs could be spayed (Large animals such as cows and horses usually can't be.)
You'd be surprised to know what other pets can be neutered or spayed. I had a male gerbil neutered so he could continue to live with two females (not sure if they were litter mates or not). Large male farm animals can be castrated but I don't know if spaying a female is worth the trouble of surgery and recovery.

A cousin of mine had a mini pig for awhile. I'm not sure what happened to the pig. My cousin now lives in the city so I'm guessing she had to rehome the pig.

Diet is important to a pig. You don't want a pig that winds up like this How Maybelle the Pot-Bellied Pig Got Her Groove Back - Animal Rescue League of Boston

I think even a mini pig would need some time outdoors in an enclosed pen to play and excercise and root around in the dirt and grass and just do normal pig behavior.