Anybody else with skin issues?

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a prescription cortisone cream for my hands for a long, long time. They were always a mess when I worked in the restaurant industry. Even now, there are certain things that will irritate my skin, too. I have an issue with a few pairs of dress pants where the button is on the inside. By the end of the day, I have a huge welt on my skin from the button.

As far as over the counter lotions go, I rarely found anything that was helpful. Your dermatologist should be able to recommend a brand, or do a search on the net. I remember my grandmother used to lather up with lotion and sleep with gloves on.

I hope your doctor's visit brings you some relief. Dermatitis is awful.

Here is a site with some useful tips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got some Vitamin E capsules, but that was all I had time to look for. I spent so much time in the pet store today that I didn't have time to look for much else.
I plan on going to the GNC store nearby when I go for a grocery run for mom soon. Hopefully they have some stuff I can try.

I bought some Shea body butter somewhere, but that probably isn't the same thing you are talking about.

Foaming body wash seems to dry my skin out more, but I use a little foaming soap to wash my hands. Every other type of liquid soap makes a mess of my hands. I use the Oily of Olay Shea Butter bodywash for extra dry skin(the yellow bottle, I think that's what its called).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get ezema breakouts too, but fortunately only when I wear something that makes metal hit my skin. Like from my belt and stuff like babyharley. The worst was in HS when I first developed it. It was on my neck from a necklace that I always wore. I got a cream from the dr that helps the breakouts.

My stepsister has problems with it too. She just bathes in cocoa butter and carries vaseline around for her lips. She pretty much has it under control so you'd never notice unless she stops with the cocoa butter or something. She doesn't use cocoa butter lotion, just straight cocoa butter. I hope you get some relief very soon. That has got to be the worst!

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend also has exzema. Only on his hands, feet, inside of his elbows and backs of his knees but it can get very, very bad. He has a steroid cream that does help him a lot but he doesn't like to use it too much.

Shea butter works ok but he seems to like the Aveeno lotion. It's very mild but has menthol in it which cools the skin. Which helps him because his hands itch quite a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 different varities of Aveeno. I love it. I don't like the Menthol because the kitties don't like it. I only put it on in the mornings so it doesn't bug them at night. They can't sleep with a stinky meowmy!

obi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, adding to the list:
1. I use Cetaphil to wash my face, because otherwise it gets really dry. The interesting thing about this product is you can use it as a VERY mild soap (I sometimes wonder if it actually cleans . . .) or you can put it straight on as a lotion. Recommended by my dermatologist. Costco carries it.
2. I have a coworker whose hands dry so badly they crack. The only product she's found that helps is Hempz. Yes, it's made with hemp. I have some of their lip balm and it really is good.
3. You can put the grapeseed oil or other pure oil into a tub of bathwater. You hardly need any because the oil spreads over the water surface very thinly, so that when you stand again with your arms and legs held away from you, you get a nice coating all over your body. Air dry or gently pat dry and you're good to go!

I try and remind myself that my own dermatological problem isn't that bad. And when I hear some of these stories, I guess that reinforces my determination not to get to bound up about it. But, mine is particularly troublesome because it is located . . . . am I going to be censored? . . . . on my vulva. Always near the bottom (toward the rear). It gets red and puffy and painful to the touch. Determined it isn't an STD, isn't a result of yeast or bacteria, I've eliminated all sorts of possible allergens, and still no help. I even had a biopsy (NOT RECOMMENDED . . . . OH GOD). Nothing. Anyway, it comes and goes and I really can't predict it except that when it shows up it does so late afternoon/evening and is gone by the time I wake up in the morning. It never arrives while I'm on my period. It's made worse by sweat (summer is especially bad). It may show up several evenings running or just one night . . . it may go away for weeks at a time. When it's around, I can't ride my horse at all, I can still go to karate but it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. A long hike will always bring it on. I can think of another activity it gets in the way of too . . . poor husband (he's very good about it); interestingly, that activity doesn't bring it on (whew!). Wow. This is running long. Sorry! Anyway, I count my blessings.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! You poor thing! I use to get cracked hands (nothing extreme like you describe) in the winter because I was lazy about daily moisturizers. I use to take pure vasoline/petroleum jelly to my hands and put those $4 little kids gloves over them for 30 minutes every week.

Next time someone asks if you have herpes, go up to them grab them by the cheeks on their face and say "NO". See the horror of their face.