Anybody Donate to the ASPCA?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ASPCA does run a shelter and vet hospital in New York City.  They also go to different parts of the country on cases involving things like puppy mills and dog fighting.  

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I donate to a few small rescues I have been in contact with on Facebook. One has been doing TNR in her neighborhood since I think 2012? She started up just feedin them then raising money to get them snipped. She has gotten quite a few snipped and socialized. I tend to send them food/litter from their wish list either on Chewy or Amazon. Amazon has a huge markup so many of the groups are starting to use chewy.com or walmart.com instead.

I don't usually give money to big organizations. I would instead buy supplies like papertowels and litter or other things they ask for instead of money. Because the money doesn't go directly to the cats but into someone's pocket.

I also donate to the local shelters. We have a few small outfits in my small town I live in and I have sent them supplies as well. It's a big network of TNR people. Someone will always use the supplies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your local shelter would be a better recipient. The ASPCA does a lot of good work but they don't support local shelters. Everyone sees the heart-rending ads and gives their money to the big organizations like HSUS and ASPCA, and forget about their local shelters.
I agree with you. I've been looking for someplace to donate money to. For the past two years I gave a donation to the local Human Society and now all they do is send me a request for more money at least once a month or more often. I've asked them to stop several times but they don't. I don't like that like and I told them they will never get another cent from me. I will still drop off food and kitty litter but no more donations.

I found another local shelter that I will be sending donations too.They helped me when I was TNR my feral colony 20 years ago. I wish they could help me now TNR but they don't have enough people. I also plan on leaving them in my will.

Ellen

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The RSPCA in NSW, Australia has kill rates of over fifty percent. They have excessively stringent guidelines for deciding which animal to kill and they don't release animals to rescue groups. On top of this they made a profit of 10 million dollars last year. It's absolutely appalling.

My partner and I intend to make a will and leave everything to a local shelter.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't usually give money to big organizations. I would instead buy supplies like papertowels and litter or other things they ask for instead of money. Because the money doesn't go directly to the cats but into someone's pocket.
Sometimes shelters and rescues will take donations of coupons for pet food and supplies and cleaning supplies and office supplies. It's worth asking or checking their web site for a wish / donation list. A local rescue does so I cut out coupons from the Sunday paper and from the BJs coupon book and send it all to them. I usually send an envelope or two full of coupons every month.

Besides the coupons I occasionally donate unused cat toys and supplies to the SPCA (stuff I get for Christmas but the cats don't play with toys and don't need more bowls) and empty cardboard tubes (for small animals to play with and chew on) and sometimes sturdy cardboard boxes from BJs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past two years I gave a donation to the local Human Society and now all they do is send me a request for more money at least once a month or more often
Are you sure it's the local Humane Society that's sending the donation requests? The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) has NOTHING to do with your local Humane Society, and they're usually the ones who send donation requests every month. Local Humane Societies usually can't afford to send requests very often, maybe once a year or so. I know a lot of people get HSUS mixed up with their local HS but they aren't connected. And I hate to see your local shelter miss out just because HSUS sends too many donation requests.