Any way to try to repair a botched introduction?

anya king

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have these two cats, one of them is friendly, the other has recently turned into a crotchety old brat, I will chock it it up in part to the fact that she used to have a yard, and now she doesn't(but we are moving into a house with a yard in april).  When we brought alwin home and let him loose(bad but it had worked with all my other cats so I really didn't know any other way) He was really, I think the behavior was polite, he approached her slowly, would turn his back to her, he would expose his tummy and reach out a paw close enough to sniff, but he was an alien to her. and now I have them in completely separate rooms, while we pack and get ready to move into a house. I think with more space mine will be less grouchy, and with more places to escape to may feel less threatened by his presence. So I may have a chance to reintroduce them. especially because the house we are moving into(until we get out own in may) is familiar territory, and she's lived there before.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it is possible to repair a botched introduction.  And a good thing, too, since so many of us do it!  Like you, I've brought a new cat into the home without knowing that "introducing" was even a thing.  

Below is an article that discusses the introduction process.  For reintroductions, you basically just go back to the step where things went wrong and repeat it until the cats are ready to move on.  At this point, you should be working on scent swapping so they become accustomed to each other's scents.  
[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide  [/article]
Moving itself can be very traumatic for cats so here is some information on that as well.  This is a recent thread that addresses some of the issues involved and gives tips for making the move less stressful:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/312026/moving-to-new-house

I hope it all goes well!  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anya king

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much! this is super duper helpful, and eases my worries