Any way to train my cat not to lick/stick her paws in my face?

charliegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I adopted a 10-year-old cat from a shelter a few months ago, and she has been great, very affectionate and gentle.  When I lie on my bed to watch a movie or read or anything, she wants to sit on my chest for a bit, which I am fine with.  However, she will invariably try to lick my face or stick her paws on my cheeks or mouth.  I know she is just trying to show her love, but I don't think it is sanitary to have her licking my face  with the tongue she licks her butt with, or sticking her feet that have been in a litter box on my mouth.  I'm by no means germaphobic, but this seems a bit gross to me.  

She is obsessive about trying to touch my face, too.  If I gently place one arm over her legs to try to stop her from pawing me, she will pull them out and stretch over my arm to paw me.  She also doesn't always fully retract her claws when she does this, resulting in her nicking my lip or cheek. 

Anything I can do to show her that cuddling is ok with no face-licking or mouth-touching?  Right now I've just been moving her paws off my mouth when she touches it and saying "No" firmly, and pushing her back gently when she tries to lick me.  

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think what you're doing will slowly let her know it's not the way to go. 

Are you able to trim her claws?