Any true blood/ sookie stackhouse fans still around?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that Anna Paquin was Australian..hmm maybe I'm wrong!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

There are plenty of books in that genre, but if you really like Harris's style you could always read her Lily Bard series and hunt down the Sookie Stackhouse stories from anthologies.
I don't know anything about the Lily Bard series I might check them out but nothing ever compares to the Sookie series for me for some reason. I am obsessed with Sookie she is just such an awesome character ...It's really her character I'm in love with so nothing can replace that lol
I'm going to read some Kim Harrison in the meantime hopefully I like her Rachel Morgan series but so far i'm not impressed.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I just watched it for the first time last night.

Anna Paquin is from Winnipeg I believe. I felt her acting was quite good.
She was born in Canada but moved to NZ and grew up here

ETA:

"Though she was born in Canada she considers herself a Kiwi from New Zealand since she grew up there"

[Source: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001593/bio]

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved the first episode.. and yes it is always pretty racey at times. The books are the same however.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know anything about the Lily Bard series I might check them out but nothing ever compares to the Sookie series for me for some reason. I am obsessed with Sookie she is just such an awesome character ...It's really her character I'm in love with so nothing can replace that lol
I'm going to read some Kim Harrison in the meantime hopefully I like her Rachel Morgan series but so far i'm not impressed.
Eh, Sookie started annoying me. So I could only handle the first few books - a lot of authors do this though. Kim Harrison is, unfortunately, another one like that. First few books and anthology stories are entertaining, but then it's like she has to keep topping herself in the writing.

You might like Tanya Huff. Many may recognize her because her one vampire series was made into the tv series Blood Ties. She also writes some fantasy and has a fairly entertaining side arch off of her vampire series with Tony - though I haven't read the last book she wrote on that.
Maybe look up Kelley Armstrong, but I've only read a few of her stories. Better yet, just go camp out at a bookstore some afternoon!

I did see some of last night's True Blood episode. Bleh, scrubbing the floor (DH was watching tv in the same room) was literally more entertaining.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have "Bitten" by Kelley Armstrong sitting in my bookshelf in my "to be read" section..I will try it apparently it has some romance so that's always good. And I too totally hate how writers stop doing their job eventually when they write a series. This is becoming so apparent in the Sookie books in book 9!! It was soo simple and if I hadn't been "glamored" by the first few books I'd NEVER enjoy something like that...The only reason I enjoyed it was because it had Sookie in it. And I was totally upset and disappointed when Sookie lost her innocence after the first 3 books and started to be willing to date any random guy who comes her way. It was terrible...but I got over it somehow. One series I'm so sorry for is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. The first 3 books are so awesome but then they get soo boring
And that's a true loss because those- I can't keep on reading. They get that bad.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I sympathize with the authors a bit. After all, they have to keep a series going with a main character for several books. But then, they didn't have to sign a contract to do that.

I'll read whatever I can get my hands on, anymore. (well, almost anything) I read so quickly that I have to switch it up a bit here and there. (Too much speculative fic/sci fi in a row makes my brain melt a little)
Try more anthologies if they're not part of your normal reading material - it's always a good way to get a bit of a feel for authors.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

She was born in Canada but moved to NZ and grew up here

ETA:

"Though she was born in Canada she considers herself a Kiwi from New Zealand since she grew up there".
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Nope. Not wrong
She was born in Winnipeg but her family moved to New Zealand.
I always thought Australia and New Zealand were two different "countries". I didn't realize they are considered to be the same which shows my lack of knowledge in Geography although to be honest it was never one of my favourite subjects. As they say, you learn something every day.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I always thought Australia and New Zealand were two different "countries". I didn't realize they are considered to be the same which shows my lack of knowledge in Geography although to be honest it was never one of my favourite subjects. As they say, you learn something every day.
I thought so too. That's why I was confused and thought "huh??? I said Australia not NZ"...I know people from Australia and NZ have a similar accent but always thought they were diff countries!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I thought so too. That's why I was confused and thought "huh??? I said Australia not NZ"...I know people from Australia and NZ have a similar accent but always thought they were diff countries!
They are too separate countries. I didn't mean to imply that New Zealand and Australia were one and the same
I was trying to be polite and not be corrective so I said "nope, not wrong" and then stated where she was born and where she moved.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

*gasps*

Thank god you know that Australia and NZ are two different countries.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness you're here Kellye!

Maybe I confused the issue by quoting Anna saying she considered herself a Kiwi.

New Zealand IS a different country with a different currency, different laws and different culture.

New Zealanders are called "Kiwis"

Australians are "Aussies" or People from "Down under"

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Thank goodness you're here Kellye!

Maybe I confused the issue by quoting Anna saying she considered herself a Kiwi.

New Zealand IS a different country with a different currency, different laws and different culture.

New Zealanders are called "Kiwis"

Australians are "Aussies" or People from "Down under"

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else!
That's the way I always thought it was too, but Natalie_ca's response had me questioning myself. That happens when you get old.
You are sure of something and then someone says something different and all of a sudden you aren't so sure anymore.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone still following it?? I LOVE how the story is developing!! I can't wait until tomorrow night!!

skellyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Is anyone still following it?? I LOVE how the story is developing!! I can't wait until tomorrow night!!
My wife and I love it. We usually DVR it and watch it on Monday night. With so many story lines going on this season, it's almost more intriguing than last season.