Any "Tricks" On How To Give A Cat Their Meds?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the pharmacy that I get my meds from and asked for the 1cc oral syringe. It is small and thin, so it fits in their mouth easily. I just hold their heads and stick it into their mouth as far as I can and they swallow it. Start from the corner of their mouth and stick it in from the side. That should work. It's like a baby...they may not like it but they HAVE to have it so you need to force it. I just gave both of my cats liquid meds the other day, and I thought for sure they would freak out by they took it just fine (I even had to give each of them 2 1/2 syringes full).

Usually, if you can get it to the back of their mouths they will automatically swallow. Just squirt in tiny bits at a time so they don't choke.

Btw - 1/2 tsp = 2 1/2 cc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hwc

I wish one of my loveable lap kitties would get sick instead. At least I'd feel like I had a fighting chance.

b)
The thing is, is that Maverick IS my lovable lap kitty.
He'll lay in my arms for huggin' & kissin', sit on my lap, and burrow under the covers with me at night. My two FIP cats aren't "lap kitties" like Maverick is - especially Geronimo. But I don't have anywhere near the problem giving them their meds, as I do with Maverick.

Thanks for the advice, HWC.
I'll try just about anything at this point!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I went to the pharmacy that I get my meds from and asked for the 1cc oral syringe. It is small and thin, so it fits in their mouth easily. I just hold their heads and stick it into their mouth as far as I can and they swallow it. Start from the corner of their mouth and stick it in from the side. That should work. It's like a baby...they may not like it but they HAVE to have it so you need to force it. I just gave both of my cats liquid meds the other day, and I thought for sure they would freak out by they took it just fine (I even had to give each of them 2 1/2 syringes full).

Usually, if you can get it to the back of their mouths they will automatically swallow. Just squirt in tiny bits at a time so they don't choke.

Btw - 1/2 tsp = 2 1/2 cc
The syringe I use is a small one, and I administer Mav's meds in the way you describe, Kara. But he still manages to spit most of the stuff back out.

I appreciate the advice though.

sunshne880

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a pharmacy in New Jersey called Wedgewood Pharmacy, they take most dog and cat medications and make it into liquid forms or treat forms. Maybe ask your vet about them. They'll ship anywhere I believe.
Good luck, I could imagine how frustrating it is.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunshne880

There is a pharmacy in New Jersey called Wedgewood Pharmacy, they take most dog and cat medications and make it into liquid forms or treat forms. Maybe ask your vet about them. They'll ship anywhere I believe.
Good luck, I could imagine how frustrating it is.
The meds that Maverick's objecting to the most are the liquid forms. He doesn't do too bad with the pills. It's the taste of the stuff he hates. I've tried disguising it in tuna, chicken broth, pill pockets, & canned cat food, but he's too smart for that. I think I'm gonna ask my vet if his liquid meds can be transformed into some kind of treat form, like you suggested, Sunshne, b/c doing it this way is really stressing him out - and he surely doesn't need any stress right now. My once lovable baby is now beginning to run from me everytime he sees me coming.

Thanks for the tip!
If my vet(s) can't come up with an alternative, I'll definitely check into your suggestion.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi KittKatt,

A good Compounding Pharmacy that deals with Vet meds should be able to make up the pill you have, it's a really good tasting flavored liquid...... there's usually several flavors to choose from; beef, chicken, tuna, etc.

Try doing a search on Google for these words: compounding pharmacy vet meds _________ (in the "blank", enter your state or city). you may not find one local to you but many will compound it up and ship to you....all they require is for your Vet to fax them the prescription for the medication......or, on the case of a med that's non-prescription (say a supplement or amino acid), they would just do it according to your direction.

Here's one that's well known:

http://www.smithspharmacy.com/retail...8D577B01E035A1

They can often also make up the medication into a handy "gel" that you massage into the cat's ear!! -- which not only makes it easy to give but no side effects to the tummy

EDIT:...............sorry, the site above is in Canada (though I'm sure they compound for Americans)....not sure where you live. Here's one in the U.S. and it also gives a list on this page, of the various meds they can compound and what "form" they can compound them into (I'm sure the list isn't exhaustive; it would pay to contact them if one you're giving isn't on the list)............I see the Baytril (Enrofloxacin) can be made into a transdermal gel..........that's awesome, wish I'd known that years ago but glad to know it now!!!

http://www.pethealthpharmacy.com/medications.htm

Here's the page that shows some of the flavors they can make liquids into:

http://www.pethealthpharmacy.com/dosage.htm

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info, Food Lady!
I saved the pharmacy link, and will definitly be giving them a call if my vet can't make the meds into a tasty treat.