Any tips from Droid users?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I try and keep my rule of thumb with apps to the bare minimum. Mainly because a lot of problems Ive read about regarding phones geing bonkers or skitzing out is because people go nuts downloading every possible app that floats their fancy.
I'm a linux user, buggy programs not playing nice with other programs or even the OS is something I expect (yet has rarely happened - it was worse on Windows
) so I'm probably over cautious since I do know what can go wrong.
I've only downloaded 6 apps so far and uninstalled the advanced task killer because it was not playing nice with some default programs on my phone and kept stopping a service I needed (shared service with an app I do not need... figures), plus it wouldn't close some stuff that the default task killer takes care of with no problem.. I'll have to find a better one.
I've thoroughly researched each app I do have because I'm a control freak.
An alternate UI and a file manager were a must for me, though.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm butting in again...

Originally Posted by sarahp

You've probably just got a reminder set up for the day before, or the date is wrong in there somehow. It's not the calendar itself
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

As for the calender thing, it may be the settings in the calender also that it notifies you the day before. When I set my calender I have to make sure to go thru all the settings or it will notify me the day before instead of my usual hour prior.
I would believe you guys about some hidden setting like that that I just haven't found or noticed, except this ONLY happens for ALL DAY events. If I put in a dr appointment for 4PM-5PM, for example, it shows up on the day, and then if i have an actual notification set up, the alarm thing does off an hour before or whatever. It might be easier for me to take pics of the phone screen and PM someone to explain better.. It's frustrating.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not an app i guess, or maybe it is (i am so behind the times!! haha), it's the calendar that came on the phone. And the display of the calendar I guess is the problem. It's an HTC Widget to show my calendar on my home page, I will take pics when i can and try to show you.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ My DH has a HTC phone, so I'll check and see if he has the same calender. There might be something hidden in the settings that you're missing.
I'd say take a screen shot but you'd have to go the SDK and usb debugging route and I don't think you'd like that. (though it's not difficult)

ETA: Looked at his phone. His calender isn't too terribly different from mine - except mine has couple more settings. When you touch on a date to add an event to it and the Add Event screen is up, touch your menu to bring that up, go to more, reminder settings. Go through those. Set the calender to go off for something later and see if changing the default setting there affects it. Also whenever you do each event make sure you pay attention to the beginning and end times and what you want your notification to be - it's possible you're missing one or the other so it's using the default that might be set oddly.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got the Droid R2D2 (Motorola Droid 2 with the star wars theme) and for anyone else on the android market, I highly recommend the Cat Sounds Ringtones app. I don't use it for ringtones since they're rather lifelike and piercing, but it is absolutely worth the time to download (it's free) merely for the crack up factor as my cats went ballistic trying to find the "intruder cats." even as i type this, they look around my room for the new cats. One in particular, a tomcat yowl, got Tails halloween cat-ing. Memphis took it a lot better, he has been more interested in the strange sounds of my Droid than Tails.

There is a wide variety of meows, chirps, mews, and yowls; some of you with toms might find hilarity in the sexy female scream. The kitten noises invoked the most frantic searching, while the adult cats intimidated Tails and interested Memphis. Overall, well worth it and 5/5 stars.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I have Droid X. He's never had any problems.

My first Droid wouldn't charge. At all. It died and I had to take it back to the store. They couldn't charge it either. They replaced the phone.

Got that phone home and tried to call my sister. It rebooted itself seven or eight times....I'd be talking for about ten seconds or so, then it would reboot. Took it back to the store and they replaced it again.

So far, the third time's a charm. They made sure that it would take a charge and I walked around the mall awhile talking to my sister and to a GF before bringing it home to see if it would reboot on its own. It's been fine. It did an update not too long after I brought it home. (I had heard that some apps would cause the phone to reboot and that the app killer will not play nice with the phone. But I hadn't downloaded any apps at that point....I didn't have it long enough!)

I will say that the people at the Verizon store were really nice about everything, although they said they had never heard of phones not charging and rebooting. I found that a little hard to believe because I checked it out online and both problems seem to be fairly common.

I was told that, to delete an app, you had to go into the Market to find that particular app, then follow the instructions for uninstall. I haven't done it yet, but I want to try it. The phones come with a lot of apps that I doubt I'll ever use.

As for pictures, I took 48 pictures at my granddaughter's birthday party. All I had to do was connect the phone to the computer and they transferred over very easily. I didn't even bother to take the SD card out.....I just connected the phone via USB. I can't say that I'm particularly crazy about the picture quality, but maybe that's just me.

I think I'm charging my phone about every other day or so, which is better than I expected. I had an LG Prom Queen phone with an extended battery and I was charging that up about once every two weeks. I listened to music on the LG every day while walking before I got the iPod. It wasn't a smart phone. You can get an extended battery for the Droid for about $50 or so. I'm thinking about it, but right now, it's not an issue. We got used to charging them more often.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

The phones come with a lot of apps that I doubt I'll ever use.
Sorry, you're stuck with those. They're consider system files and are locked in there. You cannot just uninstall them. There's only two ways to get rid of the software that came with the phone: Root your phone and remove them or flash a new rom onto it which lets you start from scratch with just a few basic programs and install what you want.
Both void the warranty, but if you hacked it and completely bricked the phone, they can't turn it on to figure out what you did..

The preinstall garbage has came with every single cell phone that's came out for many years now - remember those ugly themes, annoying ringtones, and game demos on older phones that you could not delete?

In the case of android, you can't delete stuff in the file system because you don't have the right permission to do so. That's what root is (you'd call it administrator in windows). Of course once the phone is rooted, one can go in an add a sudoers file if they wish that lets one use the "sudo" command (more like a "power user" in windows) instead of su which is completely root until you log out/exit the terminal.
And if anyone thinks that's very difficult to understand... remember even windows has different user groups. Vista and 7 are the first of their desktop OS's that they were finally smart enough to force you to be a user instead of admin.