Any tips for helping cats overcome fear of the vacuum?

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are absolutely terrified of the vacuum. One is even afraid of it while it is OFF! 

I usually put them in another room while I vacuum, then switch rooms to vacuum that room. Seems kinda stupid but they are not afraid when I let them out as opposed to just vacuuming and letting them run and hide. 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think most cats are scared of the vacuum. Maybe the sound it makes is too loud for their sensitive ears. 

I don't know any tips to help you but there may be a chance they'll get used to it after some time. 

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine know when I am bringing it out that I am going to vacuum so they just go to the other room until I am done.  I think it's the sound, it does sound scary if you think about it.  Plus it looks like a monster to them, I'm sure.  You have to think of it from their perspective.... The vacuum is not a friend.  No tips but eventually they learn just to avoid it when they know you are going to use it.... Mine did anyway.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oddly enough, none of my 4 cats are scared of the vacuum, not even my reformed feral momma cat. Not sure how that happened. I usually try to "warn" any cat in the area that I'm about to start the vacuum by talking to them and doing a short burst or 2 of the motor before fully engaging it so it doesn't startle them. One cat actually follows me around while I vacuum, fascinated by the back and forth motion of the hose (I use a canister vac). I used to have a cat that loooooved to BE vacuumed! He made quite a pest of himself and it would take me twice as long to get the job done because he'd flop over in my path insisting I indulge his fetish.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats disappears when the vacuum is turned on, the other observes from a safe distance. 

They're litter-mates so it's not like they've had different life experiences.

Depends on the cat's temperament - not really anything you can do.

With time (months? years?), the cat may become less afraid.

You may be reinforcing their fear by shutting them off in a different room.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've found the best thing to do is nothing.  Just let them hide and avoid it while you go about your business.  I've also read that you can reinforce fear by trying to keep them from being afraid.  Some say their cats never get over the fear but ours actually have, even formal feral Emily who was terrified of the TV when she first moved in with us.  She'll leave the room the vacuum is going in but doesn't hide under my bed the whole time the vacuum runs anymore.  My other two only leave if the vacuum heads right toward them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to start young, all mine were vacuumed around from birth and I raise my litters the same way, result is cats that are pretty bomb proof.
Though it is a challenge trying to vacuum around cats who think its a toy lol