Any tips for giving pills?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The transdermal (cream on the ear) worked well for my friend whose had to give her cat meds for his aggressiveness. Sometimes, though, it might take 2 people if he smelled it or didn't feel like having his ear rubbed. However, she still wasn't having to risk both claws and teeth.

When my cats have to have pills, I got a pill popper (with the split rubber tip). I have one that HATES
pills. If you have a treat that he really likes, this is what I try do with mine at pill time-I sneak up (like when she's sleeping) grab her by the top of her head from behind with my left hand-to help open her mouth, and PROMPTLY pop the pill popper in with my right, and POP! that pill. It has to be done with confidence (you know, like you've done it a hundred times-always have to psych myself up first
) Then I'd make her lick her nose (blowing is a good idea)and give her a treat (If it's a gooey treat, like hairball meds, canned catfood, etc. you can put it on top of his nose), all pretty much in the same 2 seconds. If there are 2 of us home, the swaddled with in an inch of her life method works as a last resort.

Whatever you try, good luck!

azalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I had to give my former cat, Brodie, some Elavil every day, the vet showed me a trick to force the jaw open, and force the cat to swallow which does not harm them, and gets the pill in quick with practise. Bring your hand under the cat's mandible (lower jaw) and squeeze on each side of the mandible where it joins the skull (I guess some people do it from behind the head, but my fingers are too short to do that). While the jaw is open, toss the pill in towards the back of the throat, then let go of hte jaw and RUB THE NOSE!

Rubbing a cats' nose forces them to swallow. Try it on yourself.. it works! You swallow without thinking while trying to get the hand away. Unfortunately, my cat was good at coughing the pill up again.

NEVER GRIND A PILL WITHOUT THE VETS' CONSENT! I used to do this to foil Brodie (I'd grind the pill w/ a mortar and pestle, then mix it well in canned food.. he was sceptical at first but got used to the new flavour) but now I know better. Some pills can be done this way, but some lose their effectiveness if chewed, or may cause the medication to take too much effect too soon, and wear off very quickly, requiring lower doses multiple times a day.

TALK TO THE VET before using any technique that may cause the pill to break.

The reasons are the same as why you can't break those same medications for humans.

lisakmusco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eupnea

Random Tip:

In my experience, when you are unsure if your cat has swallowed a pill, watch to see if he/she licks their nose when you release them.
If they lick, then they have swallowed it. If they don't, they're waiting for you to turn your back and they'll go spit it out
That's an awesome tip -- I never connected the two before, and I've administered a lot of pills. At one time, even my vet said Jasmine had been on about every prescription there was (for a bladder infection that just would not go away).