Any Tips For Bottle-fed Newborn Babies?

evaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, this is kind of long, but I'm basically looking for any advice or words of encouragement.

A stray cat gave birth in my back yard two weeks ago. I provided her a cat shelter (waterproof bin), food and water so she could do her thing, but the weather here has been terrible. It has rained nonstop for the past two weeks and even snowed/hailed once. She never moved her kittens into the shelter, so she was laying in a puddle with three kittens. I have a spare room so I tried luring her inside so she could keep all her kittens warm and dry, but she is very skittish.

A couple of days ago, I heard the kittens screaming and went out to check on them. Two kittens were laying in a puddle (it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit outside) and they were sopping wet. I picked them up, dried them off, and put them in the cat shelter and waited for her to return. I know she might have taken the other kitten to a better shelter/dry ground so I was hoping she would come back for the other two. She never did. Eventually, it got dark and the temperature started dipping so I brought the two little babies inside.

One kitten was still pretty strong, but the other one couldn't meow or even hold up his head. They were both freezing. I warmed them up gently with body heat and eventually a heating pad and started them on kitten formula once they were all warmed up.

They started only taking 1ml every two hours, but now they are up to 6ml. I have a family that to feed them (belly down, warm formula, no pressure) around the clock. We've been getting them to pee (no poop, but we've been stimulating them with toilet paper and cleaning them with a warm cloth). We also have a dog who has been cuddling them and cleaning them (dog time is supervised).

I've helped raise kittens before, but I always had a queen who did most of the work. I have bottle-fed one abandoned kitten before, but she was very small and didn't make it a day so I'm still a little inexperienced/scared to mess up.

I'm just trying to do the best I can for these two little babies. I think I'm doing everything right, but I just need some encouragement or advice that anyone has.

(I've tried finding them a foster cat mom, but the only queen in our area wouldn't take them. The shelters near me also do not accept kittens this young.)

Random questions:

If they are screaming but are fed and pottied, what should I try?
Is it okay to wake them if its feeding time? Or should I let them sleep?
If mama cat comes back around, should I try to replace the kittens with her?

IMG_20190430_180452.jpg Screenshot_20190502-125411.jpg IMG_20190502_125306.jpg Screenshot_20190502-125420.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try giving them a heating pad set on low with a couple towels over it. Also even though they have each other, try a heartbeat toy or a ticking clock.
You could try putting them back with Mom if she shows up. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think let them sleep.

These articles hopefully have some info for you and there's this site too

Saving Kittens — Kitten Lady

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for caring for these cuties! I agree with Furballsmom, I would recommend letting them sleep. Kittens are like human babies, they need a lot of rest. You can feed them when they wake up. If mom comes back, I think you could try putting the kittens with her.

Are you weighing the kittens every day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice and resources.

I bought a scale yesterday so I could keep up with their weigh gain/any potential problems. The kittens weighted 6.3 and 6.4 oz each. This morning they each weigh 7. Both of their bellies are round and full now (they were skinny little things when I first found them). Is this a good target weight for ~10 day old kittens?

Also, how will I know if they are being overfed? I try to get them to eat 7-8 ml each feeding, but sometimes they drink 10 ml and still ask for more. I'm adjusting the number to make sure they hit their calorie goal with the formula I'm using, but I want to make sure I'm not fattening them up too much if it can cause them to get sick. They're fed every 2-3 hours depending on when they wake up.
Screenshot_20190502-120546.jpg

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, you've gotten some advice that needs to be corrected.

Kittens need to be fed around the clock. You decide the feeding times, not them. For two week old kittens, they need to be fed every two hours. You should weigh them daily, and they should be gaining at least 6-10g every day. They can have as much as they want per feeding. Great that they have appetites!

If mom comes back, you can try to bring her inside and to reunite her with her kittens there. You should not under any circumstances put the kittens back outside. They are much better off inside with you.

Thank you for caring for them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!
Hmmm. Well, so within the information you've received, find out what approach keeps them gaining weight :)
If you need to, refer to The Kitten Lady. On this page I've linked here, she gives a window of time depending on age and mentions that what works for one might not be the answer for the next kitten;
Bottle Feeding — Kitten Lady
She is very good at this :thumbsup:
Hang in there!

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet advised me to wake for feedings, especially if kittens might be too weak to wake or mow appropriately. So that’s what I’ve been doing.

Thank you for taking them in. You’ve done a truly great thing.

I found before my little kitty could latch to the nipple. Using the nipple on a syringe was easier.. I slowly dripped the KMR into kittens mouth at his pace.

I also recommends rougher texture for elimination stimulation... like a rough paper towel or different wash cloth.

Good luck and good on ya!

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice and resources.

I bought a scale yesterday so I could keep up with their weigh gain/any potential problems. The kittens weighted 6.3 and 6.4 oz each. This morning they each weigh 7. Both of their bellies are round and full now (they were skinny little things when I first found them). Is this a good target weight for ~10 day old kittens?

Also, how will I know if they are being overfed? I try to get them to eat 7-8 ml each feeding, but sometimes they drink 10 ml and still ask for more. I'm adjusting the number to make sure they hit their calorie goal with the formula I'm using, but I want to make sure I'm not fattening them up too much if it can cause them to get sick. They're fed every 2-3 hours depending on when they wake up.View attachment 283331
I would not feed them over 10ml at that age/weight. I know it’s hard.. I really wanna feed on demand, too.. but know they are full ,and you can comfort them in other ways ❤

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
One last thing, I’d get them to a vet as soon as they are strong enough for a car trip (bring a sock with warm rice for a heat-pad to-go)... parasites are common in strays and moms give them to their kittens. Please make sure anyone handling the kittens thoroughly washes their hands (or any part of them the kitties touch) before and after handling. Parasites (like pin worms and roundworms) are contagious to humans and not fun!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.

They usually wake up every 2 hours to eat, but I'll let them sleep up to 3 hours before I wake them for feedings. They have been eating between 8-12 ml depending on how long they slept. This has been working well for the little ones.

Luna was 6.3 two days ago and now weights 8.3 oz. Theo was 6.4 and is up to 8.8. Luna is a finicky kitten and needs more attention/bottle time, but she's been doing well. Theo latches, burps, potties, and falls asleep without a struggle.

Potty time has been going well. We had one BM, but still trying to coax the other one. My vet said it might take a few days so I'm just trying to keep them comfortable.

I plan on getting them their shots when they are older. For now there is lots of hand washing and all the pets in my home are up to date on their own shots. (Our dog is the only one allowed near the kittens and that is only for a few minutes at a time).

I'm more confident in my ability to take care of these kittens now that they are eating well and gaining weight. Not going to lie - 5 am feedings arerough, but it's worth it to see these little ones grow up and go off to new homes. Thanks for all the advice so far.