Any suggestions

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for a good forum about depression? Gary is really suffering here, and for some time now, and I want to be able to chat with some others for ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks.
I googled too, just wondering if anyone had any experience with one(s) they'd recommend.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was going through my thyroid problems I found a fab place with forums on every topic and its US based I think, its called About.com, the link to the depression one is http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum....=ab-depression. Its a fantastic place as you register and you can make your own diary/blog to help other people with similar problems. I met a lot of fab people on there and they have forums for all different illnesses and you can get some fantastic support on whatever you are going through.x

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/index.php

There are many professionals such as doctors, nurses, dentists etc, who post there answering people's questions. Due to the rules, they cannot identify themselves as such. Plus there are many people who are or have gone through the same things as you have, so you can get the benefit of their first hand experiences.

One thing to keep in mind is to read the rules carefully! Very carefully! There are no second chances there. If you break the rules, it's instant perma ban. Some of the more important ones to keep in mind are:

1. Never reveal your true identity or where you live or what you do for a living;

2. Never post your email address or any way for anyone from there to try and contact you. The interaction is by forum only;

3. Never ask anyone for their email address or ways to contact them. There is no site mail/PM's or ways to communicate off the forum.;

4. If you are a medical professional, keep it to yourself. You are not allowed to give out the type of work that you do, especially if it's in the medical profession. It's a liability thing.

I used to post on those forums often. Found myself banned once too when I first joined because I didn't read the rules and accidentally identified myself as a nurse in one post. They don't ever unban you, but you can create another ID or at least I did without any problems.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

for a good forum about depression? Gary is really suffering here, and for some time now, and I want to be able to chat with some others for ideas.
I am sure that we have talked about this in the past using PM. As you may have noticed, I have been gone from TCS for about six months in a state of morbid depression. I have stopped all antidepressant medications and promised to at least attempt to get on TCS each day. It is good for my depression. I think it best to carry on any further specific conversation via PM.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very sorry for Gary and you too. Must be very difficult for you as well to see Gary suffering...... Always sending healing prayers your way for both of you....

Wish I had something concrete to offer on depression for you both. It is an awful thing to suffer with and I know it all too well. Just lots of

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Natalie's suggestion on "Healthboards" - I've been there (I was suicidal-depressive and almost attempted if not for my cats I would have) between that site, intense therapy and medication (I'm a little mental as well), it helped a lot. The face-to-face thing with a compassionate, empathic therapist who is highly qualified can be so validating to your situation that just having someone outside the situation really understanding can help amazingly. I highly recommend it.

I recommend looking up any potential therapist/Psychologist you see to make sure no accusations have been filed against them. (For therapists, look on the Board of Behavioral Sciences in your State. For Psychologist, look on your state's Board of Psychology.

If you feel meds are needed and want to go to a Psychiatrist, please, please check the Medical Board site for your state.

(Have had bad experiences and some bad ones get slaps on the hand for very bad things they do, but these sites will show any disciplinary actions that have been taken).

If you find a good one, this can work truly wonders. Give it a few weeks to get comfortable and let the trust come if you take this route. On line you never really know who you are talking with.

Blessings and warmth to heal the cold despair,

Julie O'