Any ringworm survivors out there? Help.

wumpwumpus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I'm still pretty new to the site but I was hoping to get advice, support, tips or anything in regards to conquering ringworm. I have been dealing with it since mid summer when it got into my shelter, and it just keeps getting worse and worse. First my foster kittens picked it up, then I got it, then my own kitten got it, and now I think my dog may have it. I work very hard to try and manage it, I have a plan for treatment and cleaning based off of methods and logic I learned from our vet at the shelter, and try to be as consistent as I can but it seems that nothing I do is working because it keeps showing up!

Will this fungus ever go away???

I read articles and posts and research about it almost every day, I've read some of the more popular threads on here over ringworm (feel free to point me to any good ones in case I missed any). I guess some things I'm wondering are how long have some of you had to do the "clean, lime dip, clean" routine in order to kill all the dang spores? 3 months? Longer? What cleaning solutions worked well for you? Is 1:10 diluted bleach the only effective means of removing spores from the environment? Using bleach all day at work and then also at home is killing my respiratory system.

My current situation at home is as follows: I basically have 3 separate populations of cats in my house. One litter of 5 foster kittens, 3 months old, all with significant ringworm lesions since August, some of which have healed completely, others just showed up a few days ago; another litter of 4 foster kittens (one 2.5 month old, one 9 weeks, one 8 weeks and one 7) who have not shown any signs of ringworm and have all had one negative DTM culture taken two weeks ago; my own personal pets, three adult cats with no RW symptoms, one 7 month old kitten with considerable lesion on her ear, and an 85 lb german shepherd with a questionable scab on her forehead. I know kittens are most susceptible to RW, so it makes sense that my kitten picked it up, however it doesn't make much sense to me that my dog would be the next to get it. I was pretty certain that dogs were a little more resistant to it than cats, I would've expected my other cats to get it before the dog. But who knows.

I have enough space to keep the foster kittens with ringworm isolated in XL dog crates shut in a bedroom (I wear long pants, a hoodie and slippers in that room, leave them in the room when I leave and shower with tea tree soap afterwards), and the four kittens without ringworm in another bedroom (I also have pants/hoodie that I wear only in that room and only go in there after I've showered). I do not, however, have the means to confine my own 7 month old kitten with the spot on her ear...I can't really think of a way to keep her from spreading spores all over the main part of the house where I and the rest of my fur family, you know, live in. The only solution I can think of is to simply treat all my personal pets as if they have ringworm, dip them twice a week along with everyone else, and just clean the whole house as often as I can. Piece of cake!

I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance, to know that other people have been through this and survived. I feel like ringworm is taking over my life and that it will never stop plaguing me!

Thanks for listening.

Sidenote: I would just take all my foster kittens back to the shelter, but we are at capacity with absolutely no extra space. We already have over 10 cats with ringworm being treated and will not adopt previously infected animals out until they have had two negative cultures. I am stuck in this situation, so I have to find a way to either beat the ringworm in my house or survive until space opens up several months from now.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all. it will get better.  Battling it as you have will eventually kill spores and sooner or later, the kittens' own immune systems with help with the fight.  I once had a foster kitten with RW so bad, the vet said I should euthanize her.  I didn't give up and within weeks, after numerous dippings, plenty of l-lysine and a lots of cleaning, she cleared up.  It never returned.

I do have to commend you for all you're doing.  You have a lot on your plate, so this is the last thing you need!  Hang in there - it will get better!

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WumpWumpus, I feel so badly for you! What a battle you are fighting but it sounds like you're doing all of the right things to win. No doubt that what you're doing is working, it's just doesn't seem to be since with all of those kittens you have so many easy victims. The most important thing is to keep everyone (including and especially yourself) as healthy as possible. Six years ago I picked it up from a stray. Thankfully, no one else in my household, neither 2- or 4-legged, got it. But I didn't have any kittens and no one else had a compromised immune system, except me (I had a sinus infection). Good luck, sweetie. You're a wonderful (and probably exhausted) person for doing all you're doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wumpwumpus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I keep forgetting that as long as my cats' immune systems are healthy that they will fight the infection just as much as I am. I'm glad to hear you didn't give up on your baby, sometimes all it takes is just someone who isn't willing to quit ;)  I'll definitely start giving everyone l-lysine again, I was for a while after I moved and stopped giving it when my cats all adjusted to the new place. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wumpwumpus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Susank, thanks! I am indeed often very tired... but hey that's what we have coffee for, right? ;)  I was pretty sure I'd picked up ringworm at the beginning of my RW battle, I had suspicious red spots on my wrists... out of paranoia I kept my wrists wrapped and covered, slathered with anti-fungal cream for weeks and it eventually  went away. Now I just have to get it out of my house and off my critters!

Yesterday a friend of mine/foster parent agreed to take my two youngest RW negative kittens for the next month, which is AWESOME. Now I can breathe easy knowing they'll grow up nice and big and healthy without risking exposure to RW, not to mention she'll have more time to spoil them than I do right now :)

Tonight I took DTM cultures of each kitten in my litter of 5 with hair loss, it'll go into our incubator at work and in two weeks we shall see what they grow....

zakiulrahman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try coconut oil on Ring worm too. As it has natural anti-fungal properties

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ringworm is exhausting. I had it with only 5 cats a few years ago and I cannot imagine how you are coping so well with your crowd. I got it too, but only very mildly. It did not go away completely until I used oral treatment on us all. I cannot remember the name of the med, but within a week of taking the tablets the lesions started to go and there were no new ones. I had to continue the cleaning regime for awhile longer. I am sure you could find the name from your vet or online. Good luck, or 'Bon courage' as we say in France.