Any REALLY good cats out there?

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are wonderful additions to my household and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Are they perfect...HA...not in the least. But I'm pretty sure I'm not the perfect meowmy either.

Lucky is my darling princess, but she is a big talker and wants things her way and only her way. This means howling for the back door to be open...but not wanting to go out. She loves to cuddle, she's never scratched me (not since she was 4 weeks old), bit me etc. She always uses the box, comes when she's called etc.

Rambo is my lovebug. He has bad habit of suckling on my shirts at 3 in the morning and kneading on my bladder. But he loves everybody and everything and welcomes all of foster kittens into the home. He wants to be everyone's friend. He does like to make his meowmy worry when he gets an allergy attack...and gets really sick, but even then he loves on the vets and techs.

I can't imagine a better pair of kitties for me.....that makes them perfect!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phenom is a good girl. She had a couple small issues when she was small. Now she is an angel!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashley45

I don't have a cat, but am thinking of getting one and I'm just worried that I'll end up with one that goes to the bathroom all over and gets into stuff.

Its good to hear that there are problem-free cats. For those of you who have them, do you think its just their nature, or something that you did in raising them that made them be so well-behaved?
I wholeheartidly believe that if you let the cat pick YOU - it will be a perfect match. (Of course there are v. many fine kitties in our life that are still great, even if we picked them first).

I believe generally a "good" or "bad" cat is in their nature. My kitty is naturally good with a few behaviors that could be improved...but I've conditioned her off the bad things. Most cat ppl accept certain behaviors as "being a cat". Like, if Smidge gets on the bookcase to explore and knocks a book over - big whoop. I couldnt care less. Some ppl would go nuts.

As far as perfect cats: The cat I had throughout childhood was "perfect". He never scratched furniture or anything, never woke us up early, rotated nightly who he slept with (so there would be no jealousy
) and even rang the doorbell when he wanted in, and would wait patiently for us. We say "perfect" b/c he really had zero issues for us, even tiny ones. We assumed all cats were this great - wrong!
We found out later he was exceptional.

You have to consider what you are willing to live with. If you are already a cat person, I wouldn't worry.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Gizmo was put to sleep on August 30, 2013. She was known as THE FIGHTER since she never gave up, in spite of some horrendous health problems. From 2005 until 2013 she survived pneumonia, a heart condition, food poisoning, an attack by a dog (before I got her), large cell malignant lymphoma in the intestine, a tumor in her nose, and a stroke before the incurable lymphoma returned and metastasized in 2013. 

She was a wonderful companion and I am proud to have had her as a friend. She loved life.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm so very sorry for your loss  

She does sound like a little fighter, l'm glad she had you in her life, and vice versa.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Quote:
I think it's just that people are more likely to post when they have a problem and want advice.
Yeah, I understand that, and that's why this is such a great site. I don't have a cat, but am thinking of getting one and I'm just worried that I'll end up with one that goes to the bathroom all over and gets into stuff.

Its good to hear that there are problem-free cats. For those of you who have them, do you think its just their nature, or something that you did in raising them that made them be so well-behaved?
I've had two cats of my own, and grew up with my father's cat. They all had extremely different personalities and histories. All have been very well-behaved with no habitual bad behaviors. I would say they are/were all "good cats."

But, that said, cats are individuals just like people, and there are certain to be moments of annoyance or confusion.

My father's kitty died when I was about 8 years old, so I can't say I remember whether she ever had any problem behaviors.

My first cat, Pearl, who has now passed, was generally an angel in terms of behavior. However, she was very, VERY high-energy. I had to make sure she always had an appropriate scratching surface or two, because she really needed to claw. This might be considered annoying to some. But she was perfectly amendable to using the surfaces I wanted her to. If she still had lots of energy at night, she would also sometimes wake me up. That might be considered annoying to some. But if I made sure I played with her before bedtime, there were no problems.

My kitty now, Pia, is what I call a "dapper cat." She is extremely polite and hates to be in the way or to see me unhappy. However, she was not very well socialized in her youth, and communicated her anxiety in "annoying" ways. When I first took her home, I had a couple instances where she went outside the litter box. This was easily solved by making sure she knew when to expect me home and that she immediately got some pets when I did so.

Honestly, the biggest issues I ever had were during palliative care for Pearl in her old age. She had ataxia, and this meant sometimes she missed her box (she'd be in it, but her butt wasn't aimed right), made a mess of her food, scratched me by accident, and she probably also had some senility issues that caused her to sometimes get confused and yowl if she couldn't see me.

All that stuff was annoying. But she was a wonderful cat, and very well worth it for all her years of selfless love. And my patience and ability to love as a person was greatly improved by going through that experience. It helped me a lot with socializing Pia.

I think anyone who shares their home with any living creature -- human, cat, dog, snake, ferret, whatever -- should EXPECT that they will become annoyed at some point. It is the nature of living with another being.

Some cats will annoy you only rarely. Some cats will annoy you a lot. But they will all annoy you eventually. Your love has to be able to withstand that.

All that said, I don't believe in "bad cats." Cats who are getting what they need, and are having your expectations clearly communicated to them, tend to be generally well-behaved. Some cats need specific things that may not be intuitive to the human, so it may take some extra work. But there's really no such thing as a bad cat.

gunnarthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My last cat,mame(adopted from animal friends. The lady that took her in off the street named her after "auntie mame"), was perfect! When i came home she would run down the stairs to me as soon as I opened the door. She was a cuddler as well. I miss her. My kitten, gunnar, is still young so I'm not quite sure what his personality will be like.