Any Ragdoll breeders out there?

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here so I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a good Ragdoll breeder in Northern California? I could also travel to Reno, NV (or surrounding areas), as far south as San Diego, California, or even Phoenix, AZ, but would rather stick closer to home if possible. I don't believe in shipping animals, so that's not an option.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! She has some gorgeous kitties! It was actually a breeder in Anaheim that got me hooked to the breed. I worked at a Petsmart at the time and a breeder came in with two of her ragdolls. That was several years ago, tho. I never got her name or cattery, and I've sort of been trying to track her down.

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a website called Kittysites.com, and they had a link to a breeder near Sacramento called DreamFinder Ragdolls. They're TICA and CFA registered. Has anyone heard of this breeder?

Missymotus; Well, I suppose I should give a little more info then, huh. The Petsmart I met the breeder at was actually in Buena Park, CA, which is the neighboring city to Anaheim. I figure she lived in one of the two cities, or somewhere in Orange County. This was about 5 years ago. I started to ask her for her name and info, but she got distracted by another customer and promptly ignored me.

I've already raided the first two sites, but the third one is new to me. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks so much!

Oooo.. toygers are pretty. Distraction! Oh no!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mewsings

Oooo.. toygers are pretty. Distraction! Oh no!
So are Ocicats
They and Toygers are very different in energy level to a Ragdoll

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

So are Ocicats
They and Toygers are very different in energy level to a Ragdoll
SOOOO true!!! LOL, even in his kitten crazies, Smudge was laid back.

A really, really good way to meet breeders is to go to a cat show. There must be tons in Cali - look on the CFA or TICA websites. (I'm not sure Ragdolls show a lot in CFA, in my recollection, they have been accepted by TICA a lot longer than CFA.)

ETA, I've always wanted to adopt a retired breeding cat. That would be cool too, if you're not set on a kitten.

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ragdoll is my girlfriend's choice breed. Tabby cats are mine. I wish the Toyger was a more popular breed! Although, in a way I'm glad it isn't because I have my heart set on adoption. In fact, I am going to start volunteering for a shelter this weekend. They have adoption days at Petco, and they're going to train me how to adopt out kittens!

Oh, and by the way, Sarah emailed the breeder I mentioned earlier - the one in Sacramento. She seems like a really good breeder. All of her non-breeder kittens come spayed and neutered prior to going to their new homes which was a huge plus for us. She also allows visits after the kittens are 8 weeks old.
However, if anyone else has any other breeder recommendations please let us know.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was actually a breeder in Anaheim that got me hooked to the breed. I worked at a Petsmart at the time and a breeder came in with two of her ragdolls. That was several years ago, tho. I never got her name or cattery, and I've sort of been trying to track her down.
If the Petsmart was in Buena Park across from the mall, then that was my wife Peggy.

I started to ask her for her name and info, but she got distracted by another customer and promptly ignored me.
She does get distracted easily at times. I'm sure it was unintentional.

Debbie from Dreamfinder is a great breeder. We were all at the show this weekend and she is headed home now.

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marsch21

She does get distracted easily at times. I'm sure it was unintentional.
Oh wow, it IS a small world! I didn't take it to heart or anything, and I figured it was unintentional. You should let Peggy know that even though it was almost 5 years ago her cats made such a huge impact on me that I still remember them.

Even though your cattery is still my preferred cattery, the choice is actually Sarah's - not mine. My mom will be moving to Oceanside later this year and I am going to help her move, so I will be in the area then. I don't know what Sarah is going to decide, but the website is bookmarked.

Originally Posted by kluchetta

A really, really good way to meet breeders is to go to a cat show.
I was actually thinking of going to one for that very reason, and also to see all the pretty kitties. Sarah is thinking about getting involved in showing her kitty, should her kitty be show quality. I remember one show I read about had a "pet class", which I thought was cute.

Originally Posted by kluchetta

ETA, I've always wanted to adopt a retired breeding cat. That would be cool too, if you're not set on a kitten.
I am set on getting kittens, but not because of the cute factor. I have a small parrot, and I think it would be easier to train a kitten not to eat Calypso. He is mostly fat, and I assume quite stringy. He probably wouldn't taste very good anyways =P.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mewsings

Sarah is thinking about getting involved in showing her kitty, should her kitty be show quality. I remember one show I read about had a "pet class", which I thought was cute.
Do let your breeder know you are interested in showing, so your kitten/s will be show quality.
Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s far better to let them know ahead of time rather than get a pet, and then want to show.

Cats can compete even when neutered, unlike dogs where only entires can be shown.