Any Other Feral Cat Rescuers Get This Kind Of Support?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat rescuers! I saw this FB post and wonder if anyone here has done something similar. Before I bring any attention to my feral rescue efforts, I want to see how others sought community help. I live in a dog-centric area and protection of the ferals is my priority. I have "flown-under-the-radar" for years but health issues and caregiving commitments creating a need for me to seek help. All suggestions welcome! Screenshot_20180208-100044.png

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a feral caretaker friend in the New Haven CT area who does FB posts when she needs food donations. You could maybe try partnering with a local pet food shop, esp if they are privately owned/not a big chain store. Maybe they'd be willing to help as long as you're promoting their business?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I follow some foster parents and feral feeder on Instagram. They frequently post updates on their cats and have quiet little Amazon wish list links in their profiles for people who want to help, they will sometimes ask for directed donations to a GoFundMe me or specific vet practice if they need help that way. Other times they may ask for specific items off their wish list. From what I've seen, the more gentle and infrequent the ask the better the response. Check out Paul the Cat Guy in new York for a really good example. He feeds multiple colonies in New York along with trapping efforts. But he uses social media to make people feel connected to his regulars along with naming them. That connection makes people more willing to offer funds or goods when he needs them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are great ideas. I have a FB page but the only help that I was able to get was from a cook and waitress from a coffee shop who saw moms and kittens at the dumpster. They havent called the local spay/neuter program, the cats are mating again, and the program only returned my calls about a year ago to tell me other people were doing TNR in that area so she didnt want me interfering. Result is that last year's spring and fall kittens are breeding :frustrated::argh::bawling: