Any Other Cat Owners Here Have Allergy To Cats?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To my surprise, I took a scratch test for a bunch of things, and found out I am actually mildly allergic to cats.

I do not have any of the usual symptoms of cat allergies like sneezing and itchy red eyes so I would have never suspected it. Albeit I also am allergic to many other things that I would have never suspected, and have had my cat without any issues so far.

Is this a cause for concern? Could I potentially develop worsened allergies to my cat? Is there anything I can do to reduce cat allergens?
Someone told me many people develop immunity and do just fine, but wanted to hear some first hand experiences?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sure there are different results/outcomes with people who have a mild allergy to cats. My husband did (does?) although with no real outward signs. But, over the course of the past 30+ years, we have had 3 cats, and there has been no change for him that we know of. He does have a mild form of asthma, but no one has ever told us that it had anything to do with the cats.

Keeping the home clean and the cat(s) brushed should help some. Perhaps bathing the cat as well, but we have never done so - and personally, I don't see a need to bathe a cat unless they are indoor/outdoor. Our cats have always been indoor only.

I do have a sister-in-law who walks into my house and can only stay for a few hours before she starts the red eyes/congestion/etc. But, she has always made it a point to stay away from cats as much as possible, so if immunity build up can happen it wouldn't with her.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Could I potentially develop worsened allergies to my cat?
This is more of an individual situation, every person will react differently. A lot depends on your immune system and how diligent you are in reducing the allergens in your home. As for me, I'm allergic to cats and dogs but have had both for a very long time and fortunately they have not worsened.

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get them every 6 weeks. I've probably been getting them now for 12 years or so. :)
Good Lord! That is DEDICATION!! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:Maybe I should've asked how long I'd be getting them for, but I guess the answer really doesn't matter because I'll always want to bury my face in a cat.:catrub:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did allergy shots for 4 years. Haven't done them in many years now. They did help reduce my symptoms greatly. I am still allergic to cats and have to take daily medications to manage my symptoms but I can actually manage them now. Progress!