Any inexpensive places to get Leukeran/Chlorambucil?

go go

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat treats could be the way to go. Thanks you guys. I have some time to figure this out before my current bottle runs out.

felix1140

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Phoebe was diagnosed with intestinal cancer at the beginning of January. Our vet had Phoebe's prescription for chlorambucil compounded at Braun Pharmacy in Chicago and it cost $200 for 30 1.9 mg capsules. Yesterday I called Braun to refill the prescription and I was told the price had gone up and it would now be $381 for 30 capsules! I called our vet, one of the techs called around and Diamondback can fill the prescription for $41. 

Not sure why there is such a discrepancy in pricing. Did Braun give me Leukeran instead of the generic chlorambucil? Lots of investigating to do. 

I like Diamondback. The folks there are very helpful and friendly.

Poor Phoebe has diabetes as well as cancer and might have thyroid issues as well. Her appetite is ravenous, so much so that when I give her the chlorambucil, I put it in a pill pocket. She chews the pill pocket off the capsule then eats the bare capsule! 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

Our cat Phoebe was diagnosed with intestinal cancer at the beginning of January. Our vet had Phoebe's prescription for chlorambucil compounded at Braun Pharmacy in Chicago and it cost $200 for 30 1.9 mg capsules. Yesterday I called Braun to refill the prescription and I was told the price had gone up and it would now be $381 for 30 capsules! I called our vet, one of the techs called around and Diamondback can fill the prescription for $41. 

Not sure why there is such a discrepancy in pricing. Did Braun give me Leukeran instead of the generic chlorambucil? Lots of investigating to do. 

I like Diamondback. The folks there are very helpful and friendly.

Poor Phoebe has diabetes as well as cancer and might have thyroid issues as well. Her appetite is ravenous, so much so that when I give her the chlorambucil, I put it in a pill pocket. She chews the pill pocket off the capsule then eats the bare capsule! 
I have heard nothing but good things about Diamondback pharm. I also heard Wedgewood pharmacy is another good one. Roadrunner is another one. For thyroid-they usually recommend what is called a Free T-4 test-its in addition to testing for the T4 thyroid=my cat tested 3.9 for the standard T4 test-so we did the free T and it came back as 2.6=is this something that could be done? High thyroid can hide other things going on-heart disease which would resolve if the thyroid is over active and kidney disease-if the thyroid is medicated-they told me something about how the kidney values would be more noticable in the area where treatment would need to be considered-I have some medical knowledge but I cant remember exactly how they put it.

Ravenouse appetite could be from several things=Diabetes=which you mentioned=also prednisone side effect along with high thyroid. I hope they can figure out how to keep the numbers in the lower range. Hats off to you cat parents who treat complicated cases.

I remember reading in the lymphoma group on yahoo that the price of leukeran has gone through the roof for some reason. And generic is generally better priced. Not sure about all of that.

I order my cats asthma meds from inhousepharmacy dot vu. They are in New Zealand. Most of the cat parents order their asthma meds from them-same exact company but cheaper. maybe they can get you the leuk in generic?

jim in houston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. New to this forum.
My cat, Oreo, is almost 11, and was diagnosed with feline lymphocytic hepatitis about 22 months ago. She has been doing well on prednisilone until recently. Her ALT is going way back up. Vet is considering Leukeran now too. Oreo is terrible at taking pills, and I've tried every trick in the book.
Is there a way to get this med in an injectable form? She does fine with the prednisilone shot every other day.
Thanks for any advice.
Jim in Houston

larryalan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We been giving Pete leukeran pills every other day for a year. Managed to order from marks marine pharmacy on Vancouver, but recently they said they can't ship because of refrigeration. You can in person get it which people do if they plan a trip.

I've been successful with a pill popper preceded and followed by a treat. Definitely takes some practice but not bad at all. I don't think a large capsule would be nearly as easy.

CoJan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody, 6/11/20, I've gotten prices from $45 for 25 tabs 2 mg in Australia (but they don't ship internationally) to $206 from Canada (air mail 14 to 23 days doesn't sound like a good idea it needs to be refrigerated). Most US pharmacies wouldn't give the price over the phone. However, my local compounding pharmacy!!!! can compound it for a 30 day supply for $90. (They said the tablets would cost $600. Go figure). $90 is in the price range! So do shop around and call your local compounding pharmacy!