Any Idiopathic FLUTD Cats Out There?

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittys Mom

I don't mean to sound defensive or rude, I just don't see WHY I should give him Rx food when the point of those foods is to acidify or make alcalyne his urine, when the ph of his urine is just fine.

I should add that so far every one of his episodes have been acute and shortlived. i.e. He seems fine one day, the next day he is peeing blood, going every ten minutes, and peeing all over the place, and the next day he is fine. This is with absolutely NO treatment. He's had one episode - lasting a day, every two to three weeks starting at the middle to end of July - 4 episodes total (he was treated with antibiotics every time except this last time when he was diagnosed as idiopathic FLUTD).

So, I don't want to give him Rx food when it won't do anything for his particular condition...at least, that's what I'm learning according to what I'm reading. Also, I don't like the look of the Royal Canin Rx (number 1 ingrediant after water is MEAT By-Products) OR the Science Diet C/D (number 1 ingrediant - Pork By-Products).

So, what I am trying to do is to prevent these episodes and I'm hoping that others with cats with the same condition can verify if what I am reading is accurate (that Rx food is unhelpful and Amitriptalyne can occaionally do more harm than good) and if they can point me at any other supplements (besides cosequin) that might help keep him stable. His last episode was a week ago today. So, we'll see how long and if it happens again with the Water/Amitriptelyne regimen.
That's what my cat was doing. He would have symptoms for several days, where he would pee everywhere is blood, then he would be o'key for several days, and then he would have symptoms again. He was a year old when it happened. It was brought up by stress. I was very frustrated because he kept relapsing, until he got put on the food. And there are no by-products in Urinary So. First ingredient is chicken meal. I am talking about dry food. I did not feed my cat wet Urinary So food because he only likes cuts in gravy styles. And like I already said, to my cat, it's been extremely helpful. It worked immediately, and he had no symptoms since he was put on it. I don't think I could add anything else.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Amitrityline seems like a stupid choice of drug. It is an anti-depressant. It is very bitter & not fun to pill regularly. What about Buspar? It is an anti-anxiety medication....not bitter, & non-habit forming. Meaning, you can stop it whenever you please, no weaning off.
My cat was given xanax. I only kept him on for a couple of weeks because he didn't look himself to me after taking it. It seem to improve his anxiety but he was all spacy. Also he hates taking pills so it was a real struggle.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cassandra

I am just curious from the contents of your post, are you a Veterinarian or a Vet tech?
Nope, I've just been through a lot of different medical problems with my cats in the past few years.

cascadingdesire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a male 3yrs. old from a shelter 1 yr. ago and he has the same problem. We have to give him "science diet " canned indoor chicken, gourmee beef, or gourmee chicken and liver.

And dry science diet natures blend chicken. He gets 1 tablespoon wet and 1/4 c. dry 2 x's a day.

You always have to check to see that there isn't any fish in the ingrediants, because it causes problems. alot of dinners say chicken but still have fish in them. and I was told to stay away from cat treats because they're full of starches and fillers that also cause problems.

we had one more problem because he wasn't drinking and had to buy a pet fountain. Now he is fine in that area, but he has gained alot of weight and apparently has mega colon. I never knew giving cats 1 tsp. of canned pumkin a day can help them with being boweled up till now.

Hey if you learn anything new I'd be glad for tips