Any ideas when my pregnant cat is due?

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They look so healthy!!! I just love the feel of new babies, and please keep holding them and touching them as often as she'll let you. Socialization from day 1 is so important. Allow your 5 yr old to continue petting them, and this is a good opportunity for you to teach how to handle them properly. It's always good to supervise those visits as well. I am sure you know all of this already

I just love babies, you are so fortunate!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roz84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately we lost one of the kittens today. It was the smallest of the litter and I think it just wasn't strong enough to fight for the milk - I had no idea they fight the way they do already. Survival of the fittest I guess. Anyway I noticed it was tiny so took Sarah aside and brought the tiny one to her to feed on its own and it just wouldn't, it was almost as if it didn't know what to do. I put its mouth next to the nipple and it just tried to climb up Sarah's body. In the basket it was crawling away from her, meowing loudly. I went to the pet shop and bought a kitten feeding kit, but when I got home it was almost dead.
It took a few gasps but its chest was not moving. I worked on it a while but I could only get it to gasp every few mins so I just gave it back to Sarah and she licked it etc but when I got home from picking my son up from school, the kitten is stiff.
How could it be fighting for life - meowing, crawling around etc then 2 hours later be gasping its last breaths? I am so upset I can't believe it - I have no idea how I got so attached to it after just 2 days.
Poor little thing - it was the one I was considering keeping too cos it was just so cute and so sweet. I keep thinking if only I had tried to feed it earlier then it would be ok.
I am finding it hard to come to terms with burrying it in the garden - "just in case" - but if it is stiff then it is definitely dead, right?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost one. Which is the one who died?
Rip little kitty. Play happily and strong at the rainbow bridge.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Sometimes these things happen and we never know why. There are too many "what ifs". Yes, it might have made a difference if you'd tried to feed the kitten earlier, but it's just as likely that it was just too little to make it no matter what you did.

Give your sweet baby a nice funeral and then go back and give all the others a lot of loving. They are so adorable. We need more pics.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear a kitten didn't make it. These things do happen though, despite our best efforts. You must believe that you did all you could and keep in mind that the rest of the litter needs you. We all know that death is painful for us in the living, but we must soldier on.

Say a nice prayer for the kitten; it will be heard

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your loss. I lost my second early this morning.... It is hard but hopefully all the rest of yours and mine make it.!!!

teeny100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is sad, when my cat had her babies like 2 weeks ago the first 2 did not make it. She would have has 6 kittens.

RIP little kitty <3