Any ideas on my cats breed? just curious...

migmag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's 7 months old, great temperament, curious,comes when called, talkative and chirpy, greets us at the door, kind of needy sometimes. Long ish hair.

Would love to know what breed he might come from.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What a beauty :rbheart: and the dog too :D

He would be a black and white domestic longhair. Can also be called a tuxedo cat.

He is a beautiful cat and I love his white whiskers and super tall ears.

Most cats don't come from any particular breed. Most cats are just random bred cats from the local cat population from that area. Which have little if any pedigree cats behind them.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beautiful tuxedo kitten and I just adore the little milk mustache!

I too have to agree on the pup.  Looks like a Border Terrier and if it is.. I'm quite jealous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

migmag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Intetesting... So is there no defining breed by his appearance? Domestic long hair makes sense.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I suppose if I had to pick a breed maybe an angora but I think that's because of the longhair.

Cats have not had to same amount of human control over their breeding like dogs have.
Dogs have been bred to do jobs for us hunting, fighting, tracking, protection for a long long time. So much so that most dogs are pure breed and even mutts have pedigrees behind them.
Because we chose who they are allowed to mate with.
Cats have not had so much human control over their breeding and have mostly just randomly bred on their own with other cats in the same area. Meaning very few if any have pedigree ancestors.

migmag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cool thanks... Makes sense.

Surely any new breed is a "pure breed" ? Same as mixed breed dogs.

migmag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes you're right.. Angora seems to be a very close match, even in eye colour.. great help thanks..

WoUlf you happen to know about kitty breath? His is quite smelly, his adult teeth are coming through so maybe it's that.. recently bought some kitty toothpaste.. but is it normal?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't know much about cat breath, I'm only good on cat genetics :lol3:

My cats breath sometimes smells of cat food, especially if they have eaten a fishy flavour. But generally I don't think a young cats breath should smell.

You could get better answers from some of our members in the Heath section if you ask this question there