Any ideas about what could be frightening them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Wild Boar scaring the foxes out of their territory! OK- I would NEVER have come up with that one!
What smart kitties!

Laurie
The way I understand it, hunters are driving the wild boar out of their "safe places" in order to reduce the population, and are disturbing the foxes in the process.
I'm not thrilled about it, needless to say, but I recognize that the boars are causing too many traffic accidents, not to mention property damage,

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a similar problem here in northern NJ. The black bear population is now larger than when Jersey was first settled. BECAUSE of the people population, there is so much food for the bears - especially through winter. So often they're not hibernating, and they're becoming very overpopulated - especially if you factor in the encroaching people population.

It is such a sad situation. Black bears are not normally agressive - but food is attracting them to people's homes, and every summer there's at least a couple instances of the bears getting INTO people's homes and then, of course, animal control comes and shoots the bear.

At our last home, we had a mother and two cubs living on our property. I doubt they'd scare the cats away - but they sure loved the bird food we put out.

But the issue of a bear hunt RAGES. The issue is whether or not to cull the population. But it's just horrible to be in a position where you even have to make those choices.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Today it was back to "kitty city", meaning there were cats all over the place (and some cat fights), so they must feel safe again.
It was so strange not seeing cats outside for so long.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

We have a similar problem here in northern NJ. The black bear population is now larger than when Jersey was first settled. BECAUSE of the people population, there is so much food for the bears - especially through winter. So often they're not hibernating, and they're becoming very overpopulated - especially if you factor in the encroaching people population.

It is such a sad situation. Black bears are not normally agressive - but food is attracting them to people's homes, and every summer there's at least a couple instances of the bears getting INTO people's homes and then, of course, animal control comes and shoots the bear.

At our last home, we had a mother and two cubs living on our property. I doubt they'd scare the cats away - but they sure loved the bird food we put out.

But the issue of a bear hunt RAGES. The issue is whether or not to cull the population. But it's just horrible to be in a position where you even have to make those choices.

Laurie
We have that problem around here. Not in my county, because it is pretty much rural, but in a neighboring county (in Maryland) they actually had to open up a Bear Season because of the overpopulation. People down state (around DC) were furious, but they don't understand what it's like to have a bear at your back door. Now, these are the same people that like to come up for deer season, when they don't have a CLUE what they are doing!

We've seen bear tracks in our back yard, but we have miles of woods and mountains behind us, so I'm not really worried. But I still get nervous going outside at night. Actually, I'm more afraid of the raccoons and possums than I am of bears! Those critters can be vicious!