Any Idea When She'll Have Her Kittens?

Zombmom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Luna is more than a year old and this is her first and only litter.

It seems she's been pregnant for ages as I noticed when the Tom was coming around and tried to bring her in before she got pregnant. If I would have thought about it I would have written down the day I brought her in.
I figured she'd have had them by now, she's huge and her mammary glands are filling, and she's got the crusty white on her nipples.
She's been getting in the birthing box I've made for her and rearranging the blanket and tearing up the cardboard bottom for 2 evenings now.
She's sleeping a ton and not eating as much, but Still eating. She's also trying to sleep in my 8 month olds crib at night. Any idea or guesses on how soon she could have them. We are anxious for the sweeties to be here.
I have a picture of her nipples to see if it helps

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say she might go into labor any day now, but it could also be another week. She is definitely at the end of her pregnancy.

I recommend that you begin applying coconut oil or bag balm to her nipples and mammaries a couple of times a day.

It's non-toxic to mom and kittens and will give her some relief from chapping. Continue applying through her nursing days.

Hang in there - it won't be long! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zombmom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn't seem to mind her belly rubbed from her sides but doesn't like it on her underbelly... She nibbles then.
I've felt the babies moving but since she's black it's hard to watch them unless she's sleeping... But they are definitely visible kicks.
I'm just an anxious mom and worry I'll miss the birth, or she'll have them in my baby's crib or on my bed, as those are the places she stays most other than her birthing box which she wouldn't go near until the other night. Lol
I know how she feels... Lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand. If she has them in the crib or in your bed, let her be until a while after she is done. :)

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looks about like my Queen who should deliver on Aug 1-2. So I can relate to your new mom jitters :agree:. I agree with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , any day or even a week out. If I forget to write the mating date down I can usually find out by doing a little research in my texts (when I may have told friends and family about the big day - or date :lovecat2: :itslove: lol ;)). You could try keeping the nursery door closed (when possible) so she doesn't have access to the crib?... Then make sure her birthing box is set up in a quiet, warm (non drafty) area, possibly somewhere near her recently favored napping areas. She may be more inclined to use her box then.

Good luck and do keep us posted! Sounds like you're taking very good care of her :clap2:

Zombmom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no babies... We are in a smaller home and the baby's crib is in our room... It's where the cat stays and the quietest room in the home... So not really a way to keep her out. She's getting more anxious and actually tried to go under the crib last night.
I guess I really got my estimate wrong or something. The kittens feel really low and if I have to pick her up (I'm the only one who she lets) I cradle her belly to be extra careful of babies but where I can feel them... One seems to feel awful close to her pelvic region so it can't be much longer. And I'm constantly watching her back end for fluids or a mucus plug...
Her purr is lower and more rhythmic so it's got to be any day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like she's getting close. Let her have the babies under the crib if she wants to. You can move them later.

Zombmom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to keep her completely inside now?
Yes she will Atari inside until she's spayed. I will be taking them all to be fixed once she's had them and the babies are old enough. I have already spoken to the local spay/neuter clinic about having it done.

Zombmom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like she's getting close. Let her have the babies under the crib if she wants to. You can move them later.
Should I lay a towel or two under the crib just in case? We have original hardwoods in an almost 100 yr old home. Lol. I had a cat a few years back that had kittens in the birthing box With no issues. She had accepted everything I set up for her With no issues. My Luna is a little more stubborn... I wish I could remember what the other cat had done....but they are all different.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, putting towels underneath it is a good idea. You could try setting up an additional birthing box under the crib with towels inside too. Good luck! My girl just had hers a few days ago :biggrin:! Exciting times! I had several birthing boxes set up in and around her favorite napping places, but she came around and used the one in my master bedroom closet (that I hoped she'd use) after showing no interest in it up until a day or two before. I know how anxious the waiting game can be. Sending good vibes your way for a safe, soon, and successful delivery :clover:

Zombmom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no babies... But I feel them moving still, just not as easily. Her mammaries are all swollen and full. She's staying to curl up on my husbands pillow at night... She's eating way less, usually she'd eat a while bowl of food in the morning and a while one in the evening, but now She's nibbling at one bowl over a day and a half.... I keep watching her back end and she's swelling a little....
Oh I'm so impatient. Haha. Just so worried I won't be here when she has them.

Zombmom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no babies, but she meowswhen I touch her belly and licks me like crazy. She's been doing that a while but is doing it way more now.
And her rear, not Her vulva, looks red, maybe she's cleaning herself too much. Lol. Just wish she could talk to me sometimes. Lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor gal. You can put a warm, damp compress on her bottom, and some coconut oil.

Zombmom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Between 1 and 3 this morning. 3 sweet little babies were born. Poor momma is exhausted and had a hard time eating the placentas, and I had to cut the cord for the last one, but all is well.

Attachments