Any help/ Opinions welcome, Help with my adopted sheltered fur baby!

pugsinarug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello everyone!

I am in much need of any help/opinions on how to help my fur baby. I adopted him 12 weeks (3 months ago). He is a maine coon/DSH mix and is 1 year and 7 months old. When we first adopted him he was all over my husband and myself, which is what first caused me to take a second look at him when I first seen him. Now, 3 months later he bolts when ever he sees one of us coming. We have another kitty, she is 8 months (spayed and very well taken care of) they get along amazingly, they are inseparable! Both of our fur babies are well taken care of (in my opinion he looks even better than when we got him).

He loves being brushed and EATING! I am able to brush him and he purs his little heart out. I just wish he would not be so afraid of us and I am willing to try anything to make him more calm. So I am wondering if maybe its still too soon to expect him to not be tense? Any experience/ thoughts/ advice will be very much appreciated! 

-The only back ground info. I was able to get on him was that he was in the shelter for a while. His whole litter got adopted out before he did. Other than that I do not know any thing else.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did anything change? Cats are such creatures of habit, that even a schedule change could spook them. If that isn't it, it may just be he prefers the company of your other kitty to humans. Cats are as individual as people are, so it may take you awhile to figure out exactly what the problem is. Don't be discouraged if he stays this way. I have a cat I have literally only touched three times, other than taking him to the vet. He just doesn't care for human touch. I'd use the brushing to bribe your kitty, though. If he loves it, keep using it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pugsinarug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Nothing has changed on my half since I got him, but I have no idea what happened before I adopted him. I just feel so bad because he ducks when you go to give him a scratch. He is the most gentlest I have ever had, I dont think he could harm a fly (probably would though to play with it haha). I just want him to feel safe and not to be afraid of us. Any thoughts on why he ducks like that, or how to help with that? Thank you by the way for your reply!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he has yet to learn to trust that the hand that is reaching down at him is a good thing. Cats who have been in shelters are used to the idea that a hand coming at them isn't always a good thing, they are going to be grabbed for some reason. I'd try being as low to the ground, putting your hand out for him to smell and let him come to you. Use treats, the offer of a good brushing, anything that brings him pleasure to get him to you. In time he will learn your hand is not to be feared when it's coming at him. Some cats duck their heads when they just aren't in the mood atm to be pet. They may be too interested in playing and feel your interrupting their train of thought. He sounds like he is doing great and thank you for adopting him. Just give him time, go slowly, let him set the pace and you'll have a fully confident kitty.

archerbaby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great advice.  I agree that if he really enjoys the brushing to keep up with that, and while you're brushing him talk softly to him.  You could also brush him for awhile and while you're brushing him slowly switch out the brush for just petting him.  If he gets disturbed go back to just brushing him for awhile and then switch again.

As for him running away each time he sees either of you...make sure you quietly announce yourself before you enter an area that you know him to be in.  For example, if he likes to hang out in a particular room and you want to go in there just say "Hi (insert kitty's name here)" (what is your boy's name btw? Did I miss it?) before you enter.  That way he's not suddenly startled when you appear.  If possible, get down on his level before entering so that you don't seem big and intimidating.  You could also give him a treat each time he actually comes out to investigate or greet you since he loves food.  Once he gets used to you entering the room without hiding all of the time you can do away with the treats, if you want.

I agree with Katluver that part of the reason he ducks his head when you reach down to pet him might be if you're doing it while you're standing up which could feel threatening.  Get down on his level and slowly extend your closed hand out to him to sniff.  If he tries to run away or seems scared you can try again later.  Just sit with him in the room and talk to him.  We have a foster kitten right now, Hugo, who was terrified of people.  The first couple of days I just sat in his safe room with him talking to him, and then slowly extending my hand to him without trying to touch him.  After awhile of me just holding my hand out to him he decided that it was safe and he started rubbing against my hand.  I took this as a sign that it was ok to start petting him, and he loves it now!  Another thing I've found from my experience with Hugo is that some cats don't really like to be pet on the head and that they quickly get overstimulated from it.  If this is the case you could try to pet his chest or his back.  Hugo likes being pet from his neck to his tail in one long sweep.  Since your boy loves to be brushed so much you'd probably be safe with petting him this way too:)

Oh, one other thing is be sure to cuddle and pet your other kitty (Bailey right?) while he's around and can see it so that he can see that she likes it and comes to no harm with you.  He'll see that she loves you and that she wants to be around you.  You'd be amazed at how much seeing this can help them feel more secure around you and to accept you as part of their life.

Just take it one day at a time and try to be patient.  I know it can be hard when all you want to do is cuddle them like crazy!
  Good luck & congrats on your new kitty:)