Any help/advice would be much appreciated

dalenewell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I have recently bought 2 new kittens from the same breeder the 2 kittens are an f6 savannah and a f5 chausie they have never been integrated, i am looking for some advice to help integrate them as i am doing what i can and taking my time with it. My savannah is not happy when the chausie is in sight he hisses, growls and just looks like he wants to kill the chausie, he also swipes at him if the chausie gets close, my worry is that the savannah is twice the size of the chausie and he might hurt him. the savannah is 18 weeks and the chausie is 15 weeks old.

I am currently keeping them apart, feeding them seperately and seperate litter trays the only time they get into any kind of same proximity is when im around to supervise.

The chausie is completely settled with me and my partner but the savannah just seems to be really scared and quite jumpy he hides a lot and ventures out every now and then to explore but as soon as you think he is coming round a little he runs and hides again.

Any advice on how to make this integration any smoother or anything i could do differently?

Many thanks

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like your Savannah is a timid personality type.  Hissing shows fear, not aggression.  The Savannah is scared of the Chaussie and his messages of hissing and growling are telling Chaussie to stay away.  If he were interested in attacking the Chaussie, he would have done so.  What I would do in your situation is to give the Savannah his own "Safe Room" that has his food, litter, water, and hopefully the kind of bed he likes.  If the room has a closet, he would probably choose that as a place for his bed at first.  Visit him frequently, play with him with toys, pet him, brush him, and discover what makes him purr so you can bond with him and he grows to trust you.  Eventually you can start feeding them each close to the door but with the door closed.  They will catch each other's scent and associate that with the pleasure of food.  In time the Savannah will learn that the Chaussie is no threat and he will stop growling and hissing.  Then you can start doing Space-swapping, putting the Chaussie in the Savannah's room with the door closed and letting the Savannah explore the house.  At first he will probably be timid and want to run back into his room.  Carry him around the house and let  him see there is no Chaussie there.  Then put him down and let him explore for himself.  He will smell the Chaussie but not see him.  In the meantime, the Chaussie is getting used to the Savannahs scent.  Make the swaps fairly brief at first, and later you can swap them for longer periods when the Savannah gets used to the house and isn't looking over his shoulder for the Chaussie all the time.  Eventually you can use a baby gate at the door so the Savannah can see the Chaussie but (hopefully) the Chaussie will just be calm and pretty much ignore the Savannah.  Obviously at that point, if the Savannah wants to come out, he can jump the gate (they are great jumpers).  You need patience and you need to go slowly.  Some Savannahs carry the old wild cat gene strongly, and that timid quality is actually what kept them alive.

There are three basic factors that affect the nature of the Savannah cat behavior: lineage, generation and socialization. These three factors follow the nature vs nurture argument with nature being breed lines combined with generation and nurture being social upbringing. As of 2014 the Savannah breed development is still in its infancy and most Savannah cats have a very broad range of behaviors.  Learn your own cat's personality and do your best to make the home situation comfortable for him and he should come around -- although he may be like any high strung cat, relaxed with his own family but disappearing when any strangers come around. 

Let us know how things are progressing, and do post pictures of your very interesting breeds.  There is a place under the General Forums called "Fur Pictures Only" where pictures are the whole reason for being there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right to go very slowly. Follow Jackson Galaxy's videos. They should live completely separately and are fed at the same time, with a gradually decreasing barrier between them. You will also switch their rooms around so they both gain confidence in all areas of the house. You will need litter boxes, food and water bowls for each, etc. This could take weeks or months - go at their pace, but this way they smell each other first, acclimate to that, and can then see each other.

Are they both fixed?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I'm confused about why they weren't more socialized by the breeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dalenewell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks for replies

I just thought id let you know what their up to the last couple of days.

So the Savannah has a safe place which is on my landing at the top of my stairs he has his own litter tray and food bowls also has a hide away where he goes and feels safe.

The chausie is downstairs he sleeps in the kitchen with his own litter trays, food bowls and bed.

as of recently i have been leaving the kitchen and living room door open so the chausie can come back and fore this meaning that the chausie and savannah are able to reach each other. The savannah is getting more confident and wants to explore he does come downstairs and sniff around but as soon as the chausie is in sight the savannah hisses and goes to what it seems is attack the chausie but up until now hasnt actually just swipes at him to warn him im guessing?

what im wondering is do i just leave this happen as the savvanah is choosing to come down on his own merit or should i keep them apart?
all the chausie wants to do is have a friend and play :(

feeding times the both cats will smell the food and come to the kitchen the savannah will hiss but i think the food distracts him i will then put their bowls on the floor about a meter or 2 apart and they are both happy to eat in the same room once finished eating the savannah will sniff around and play if i play but is very wary of getting to close to the chausie. is this too soon or shall i go with it?

And for why the breeder didnt introduce them i have no idea they had a few different litters but non of them were introduced the 2 cats played well with their siblings. As for the breeder i was impressed with the setup and had no concerns about the cats welfare or anything like that they were very proffesional but just didnt introduce the litters for the reason i dont know.

Thanks Dale

dalenewell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry forgot to add they have both been spayed/neuted by the breeder all vaccinations were up to date along with worming and fleeing :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, separate them.  Keep one in a room and let the other explore.  You will rotate them around so they get confidence and experience in each room of the house.  Also follow the advice about feeding them on either side of a door.  This is how you socialize cats and you have to go at their pace.  Watch some of the Jackson Galaxy videos.

dalenewell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi just a quick update i have taken the 2 kittens back a few step and have them seperated i am feeding them through a closed door where i dont seem to have any problems i am also putting scented item throughout both of their rooms. what is my next step? how do i know when to move forward with the face to face introductions?

When i go into the room with the chausie i have to sneak in through the door and sometimes im unable to stop them getting any sight of each other and when they do the savannah will hiss and growl at the chausie and also tries to chase him.

do i just keep patient with the seperate rooms and for now?

Many thanks

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you watch the video on Jackson Galaxy's YouTube he gives a lot of great advice. You feed them through the closed door, and move the dishes closer as they feel comfortable. Then you feed them through a covered gate, moving the dishes back to your starting distance and then closer. Then a gate that they can see through.

You do all of this at their pace as they're comfortable. I do really recommend watching the video though.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many articles regarding introducing cats.  Here is a link to one.  The others are under the articles tab and some under the behavior forum.

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

I think it sounds okay, so far.  I have only introduced cats a couple of times and you really need to watch the cats for cues on how slowly or quickly to proceed.  Since they are both kittens, it may go quickly.  Do you have a cat tree for the Savannah?  I have heard they are very active cats and need to expend lots of energy.   Jackson Galaxy always has the owners harness and leash train them.

Viola! another article:

[article="22430"]Harness And Leash Training For Cats​[/article]  

there are many reviews for different harnesses if you try this. 

There are articles and reviews for everything on this site.  Just search for what you need.

dalenewell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi handsome kitty thanks for the reply andthe links. Im taking it slowly, at the moment im keeping them sperated feeding either side of a door, siteswapping and putting scented socks and blankets in the rooms with them. They are both eating on either side of the door and are more than happy to i dont get any hissing or nasties i think the food distracts them. I have tried opening the door slightly so they can see eachother a tiny bit and smell each other but the savannah hisses and gets very angry and trys to strike the chausie. I have a glass door downstairs so i will start feeding them through that this week and see how it goes.

Dale

dalenewell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys just wondering whether you can help for where i go next?

At the moment i can feed the cats with the door open and there be no problems but as soon as my savannah is finished he will try and go for the chausie and i have tried opening the door slightly so they can smell each other but the savannah will hiss and growl.

My savannah sneaked in the room with the chausie earlier and hewas chasing him around trying to attack him i obviously got him out asap and seperated them again.

Would just like some advice on what/where to go next?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions this is the first time ive introduced kittensandif theansweris to just keep doingwhat im doing then no probs im really in no rush but just wondering whether i can try something else?.

dalenewell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just aquick update the 2 of them are now starting to get along taking it slow and doing it right is starting to pay off thanks for all the support and advice [emoji]128515[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's great!  Just keep letting them go at their own pace and make sure that they both feel equally comfortable in the house.