Any harm in cats drinking fishtank water?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 2.5 gal betta tank with some pond snails that I am breeding.

Took me some time to figure out why the water was "Evaporating" So fast. Then I learned Monet likes to drink the water. He leaves the betta alone.

I do not put any chemicals in the tank.. no dechlorinator or anything. fresh tap water change weekly.

It does have some live (pet safe) plants that he occasionally likes to pull out if it's overgrown.

Any harm in this? If it gets him drinking more, I'll let him. otherwise I'll put the cover on the tank.

(The betta doesn't even mind.. I see him sometimes swimming up to Monet and observe his tongue lapping the water)

filomali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 gallon and a 16 gallon betta tanks, my cat has always drink the fish tank water almost exclusively, we got her 3 years ago. She's fine and healthy,

She likes to jump on the cover of the fish tank and drink straight from the filter. I think it's disgusting but she likes it. 

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I kept fish for several years, though I don't have any currently.

The biggest factor in your evaporation is that you do not have a cover on the tank.  It makes a HUGE difference.  Yes, it will prevent the cat from drinking the water, but the big thing is that it helps to properly maintain your tank.  I realize you said you do not use chemicals (and I've no idea how you manage to keep anything alive, lol, but that is a different topic!).  But the evaporation means the pH is constantly changing.

My RB Sparkle was the one who taught me to use tank covers; see, like you, I didn't know about evaporation back then.  I was keeping neon tetras, and every morning I had fewer.  I never saw any dead bodies.  I would add a few more fish, and slowly but surely, my school got smaller and smaller again.  Sparkle was fishing and helping herself to snacks!!!  I learned the hard way:  woke to a CRA-ASH at 2 AM.  Being the only responsible person in the apartment at that time, I had to get up and investigate.  There was Sparkle, standing IN the 10 gallon tank, front paws on the front edge, back feet in the gravel 'dancing.'  It's a good thing I got up and got her out, as I suspect she would have tipped the whole thing over getting out herself!!!  And what a mess that would have been!!  10 gallons of water on carpet on a 3rd floor apartment - my downstairs' neighbor may have had parts of her ceiling drop off!

I was in PetCo the next day, and the person there showed me the acrylic covers with a hinge.  Solved the mystery of the disappearing fish; and lo!  I discovered I did not have to add water nearly as often!  In the Winter, heating keeps our homes in a low humidity state, which will increase evaporation.  In Summer, if you have a/c, that too drops the humidity and increases y50 glour evaporation.

Once I got in to the larger tanks - 50 gallon being my largest - I learned to do the DIY covers, as it saved quite a bit of money. 

So whether or not the cats are safe drinking the tank water, you may still want to add a cover!!!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think when they swell up they do get poisonous and contaminate the water, with that said, I don't know if it becomes toxic to other fish or will harm the cat.

I think all will be well.  My kitties drank the water from our Bettas and all was well.  I would check with your fish or pet store.

Upside if it is okay,  if he leaves the Betta alone, it will keep the beta engaged, they are curious fish and love to play.  Once really comfortable they are actually very funny and playful fish.

I have a 99 cent store down the street where at one point they were selling them for a buck, it was during the dog days of summer, so every time I walked this place I purchased one because they were displayed on the sidewalk.  By the middle of August I had 7, LOL.  Little did I know that when kept and cared for in proper conditions they can live over 7 years. I kept then in pretty fish bowls medium size around the house under various house plants.

The cat's loved them and they loved their daily visits from Simon and Chestnut.  We had a winter where the landlord didn't adjust the heat and it got too cold and they slowly died but I had two for 8 years.  If I had more electric outlets I would have had the tanks for them.  They are gorgeous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thanks all :) I am seeing no adverse effects on either cat or betta!

@Freedom  - I used to be a betta breeder.. bread several of them. I find tanks that are planted with live plants do not need chemicals as plants help keep the water clean. I took the cover off recently.

I used a DIY screen top for my 75 gal reef tank, works well!

Last edited: