Any Fitbit Users? Wanna Be Friends?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I decided to treat myself to a Fitbit Charge 2. So far I am loving it!

I am feeling much more motivated with challenging myself, trying to do a bit better than the previous day. I really need to lose the weight I've gained since my Thyroid Cancer.

Anyone have a Fitbit account that they'd like to be friends on to do the challenges with?
Any bit of motivation helps!
Let me know and I'll send you my profile link via PM for friend request!

Additionally, can anyone make heads and tails of the fitbit app's calories in vs out? it doesn't make sense to me.. it adds on more calories as the day goes on. Am I supposed to eat those calories that I've burned off?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello I use Fitbit!

I'm not really into the friends aspect of it, I'm using it just to help keep track for myself, however I can answer your question! I'm a loner by nature when it comes to personal goals.

You get a certain amount of calories a day which are based on prior information you gave Fitbit. Mine is 1500 per day. You can go over or under (but, never under 1000 as that isn't healthy). You earn extra calories via exercise. Your base calorie number is what you burn on a daily basis just by your metabolism burning throughout the day. If you exercise and earn calories, you can either eat them which will result in maintaining your weight more or less or...better yet...don't eat them. If you earn an extra 500 calories a day x 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 pound lost.

If you earn more than 500 by really exercising heavily even better! You'll lose weight faster as long as you don't then up your daily calorie intake past your set point.

To lose weight slowly, you want to burn at minimum an extra 500 a day and NOT eat the extra calories earned. Stick to your base amount. I find 1500 calories a day is more than enough food personally and most days, I'm at more like 1350 or so.

Hope that makes sense. I'm no expert in weight loss by a long shot but, I have lost nearly 25 in the past 6 months by just cutting back a bit, moving a little bit more daily and eating overall healthier. I still eat treats now and then - I stopped thinking of it as "cheating". I've been losing about 1 pound a week which for me is nice and slow, not stressful and easily achieved. Hoping as the weather warms up I'll be able to speed that loss up somewhat by getting out for longer walks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
wow, thanks sivyaleah sivyaleah ! That makes sense! I was confused by the aspect and how the numbers change throughout the day. I need to do my own math to make sure I don't eat too much of those calories back.

So far I've lost 8lbs in the past 4 weeks by cutting back and doing 310 Nutrition meal replacements, not much of exercising, but I do need to move more which I hope the fitbit keeps up the motivation for me.

Congrats on your weight loss! That's amazing! I hope to achieve the same!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wow, thanks sivyaleah sivyaleah ! That makes sense! I was confused by the aspect and how the numbers change throughout the day. I need to do my own math to make sure I don't eat too much of those calories back.

So far I've lost 8lbs in the past 4 weeks by cutting back and doing 310 Nutrition meal replacements, not much of exercising, but I do need to move more which I hope the fitbit keeps up the motivation for me.

Congrats on your weight loss! That's amazing! I hope to achieve the same!
8 pounds is a huge achievement also! Congrats!

I really like using the Fitbit. I didn't think I would because I'm pretty exercise adverse in general but, I have to admit it is extremely helpful and makes me way more mindful of the correlations between between what I eat and what I burn. I'm still in the process of learning how to eat well.

Another big help was I started seeing a nutritionist. I was going about every 3-4 weeks to discuss my progress and for tips and emotional support at times too. I really credit her with helping me turn on the switch to better health. I sure have tried a lot of other methods in my (nearly) 59 years and this is the first time I don't feel stressed or defeated.

Keep up the good work and if you haven't joined in the thread for those of us trying to lose weight, please do. Lots of good support there also although I haven't been writing there much myself lately. Work keeping me far too busy to spend time here at TCS