Any Excel users?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

OK, so us old timers are hi-jacking the thread now (SORRY!
) ...
And yes, I remember Word Perfect too. OK - talk about "dating" ourselves, he-he-he.

Laurie
I'm still a devotee of Word Perfect, truth be told
, having made its acquaintance in about v 4.0 (on an XT, clock speed 8 mhz, pretty spiffy in 1985
), and am migrating ever so slowly and reluctantly from v 10 (I think) to Word. I have never been a Microsoft fan, but do use Excel some, and am gradually learning more about it, and learning to appreciate it, but my use is pretty basic still, so I have no insights about using it for stats. (I just needed to get on the old-timers' bandwagon for a moment.
I'll go away now.)

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha - my classmate still uses Lotus 123 and wordperfect - the tutor told her that they need to go to the computer graveyard.

I love using excel - I use it for everything!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of Lotus 123 but I don't know anything about it and have never used it.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

OMG, I HATED Lotus 123!!!

I was not DOS compatible, LOL. I also remember using Word Perfect...the DOS-based one, when my computer was what, a 286?
All this talk brings back some memories. I was killer at DOS - quite an expert at setting up the config.sys and autoexec.bat files. Every time a new game would come out I'd have to go tweak that thing to get the 615K or whatever of RAM the game required. I definitely DON'T miss those days.

As for Lotus 123, I never used that one. We used Quattro Pro in college. I think it was version 3 or 4, whichever version worked with Windows 3.1. I threw out some old college notebooks that were in the attic last Summer and got a good laugh looking at the reams of dot matrix (and in some cases inkjet - ooh!) printouts that accompanied the various reports I turned in.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I'm an equity analyst and I have used Excel daily for work since it was created I think!. I had to start with a program I doubt you've ever heard of, Lotus 123.
OMG.
I remember lotus 123. It was what I started with after I mastered the 10 key.

I love excel. As an accountant my directory at work is filled with excel spreadsheets, they are my bread and butter.
My husband makes me design all his spreadsheets for his business as well.

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am the MS Office 'superuser' in our office, I took courses in Excel and am
self-taught in Word and Powerpoint.

I once created what I call the SPREADSHEET FROM HELL - a rate matrix
for one of our customers that had (at last count) 56 columns and 150+
rows, which is approx. 8400 datapoints BTW, all of which are updated
automatically by going into the RATE sheet and adjusting any of the
figures.

Want a 15% margin instead of 12.5%? Click on the appropriate box, make
your changes and BAM! All the other numbers reflect the new margin percentage.

Took me 6 hours to get it all to work right, BTW.