Any decorating suggestions for the Holimeow Season?

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This will be my first Holiday Season with cats inside. I'm sure they'd just kick the tree down if I put it up.

Anyone got any tips, suggestions etc for decorating the home, etc? How do you do it yourself? Do your balls of fur mess with it, etc?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We wire our Christmas tree to the living room wall. They can still climb in it, but they can't knock it down (at least, so far they've not done so). Other than that, we use our normal holiday stuff, but we're careful not to put a wreath on the wall right next to a living room chair (so they can't use the back of the chair to destroy the wreath). We're just careful with how and where we put stuff.

Amber likes to sleep in the tree...she'll crawl up inside, go around to a back branch, lay down and sack out for a while. Mollipop, Muffin, and Tabby chew on the lower branches. That's pretty much it....that we know of!

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a full-size regular tree with a t-shaped base at the bottom and then I tied wires to the trunk just above the center of gravity and attached these to nails that I put in the wall a few inches lower. It's quite secure, though surprisingly he cats have not yet decided to climb in the tree. The ornaments are plastic balls (I improved them somewhat with tempera paint and extra glitter as they didn't really look great, but they were also 12/€2 so what do I expect), paper, and wooden. All are tied on with thick cotton strings. In previous years I have used a very thick bendable craft wire that was absolutely too thick for the cats to bite through. None of mine are really big on biting through string, so I just used something that wouldn't snap easily this year.

It was a little bit of effort, but everything looks great.

krazykatjenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I love that stabilizer idea! Totally stealing that for next year.

Alice really hasn't bothered the tree much at all. She batted at the ornaments a little after we put it up, but she seemed to get bored with it pretty quick. She DID try to chew on the lower branches at first. We ran out and got her a thing of cat grass and she likes that much better and stopped chewing the tree! She still rubs her little face on the tree sometimes, but I think that's mostly because she likes how scratchy it is.

The most havoc she's caused is knocking over the small tree on my dresser, and that tree wasn't breakable so no harm there.

Next year will probably be a whole 'nother story. We're moving to a bigger place and planning on getting another cat. No telling what kitty shenanigans might occur.