Any chance I can make a stray into an indoor cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reen1118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think that'll be enough to get all the allergen off her ? Her coat is severely matted.. I've been trying to brush it out but it seems useless

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I put a little on paper towels and rub in--or put some in my hands, rub all over, repeat, and dry if too wet. About every 3-4 days but to each their own. I think it helped me when I used it, and it left Robins coat really nice, as well.
Even using common water this way, would help quite some.   This is one of the tricks of the trade.   Bath every tenday in common water, or its more basic version, almost daily rubbing off with a wetted towel...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her coat is severely matted.. I've been trying to brush it out but it seems useless
If the mats are too severe, it may be necessary to cut them off.   The vet can help you with that, when you take her in for the check up.  (or had you done the check up already?  I saw somewhere you got proved he was a she, and also, already spayed).   Anyways, if its difficult for you to cut off the matts, you can get help if necessary.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think that'll be enough to get all the allergen off her ? Her coat is severely matted.. I've been trying to brush it out but it seems useless
If she allows you to brush her, get a really good dematting comb.  They work really well.  If you can't get them off or cut them, get her back to the vet for some help.

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed in multiples! The combs work so much better than brushes for knots and matting! I discovered that using it end-wise was even better for getting those mats out. You can hold the knot near the bottom to keep from hurting kitty too much ( if at all). Then try using very tiny ( non-scary) scissors and poke through the mat ( careful not to get skin in there!) then cut up in several places. You can then start by pulling the loose hair out, and continue with the comb ( again lengthwise), and it usually comes out pretty easily. You may have to cut off those really bad ones, but again I recommend the tiny scissors. If you hold the knot so it's not pulling kitty's skin and hurting, it'll be a much easier job, and kitty may even start to like the process....mine certainly did and he was a Coon-Persian mix with the very long, fine hair. After a while of this he came to me every night for his combing! He loved it.

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have taken in a stray/ feral cat. However, I would guess he'd belonged to someone at one time as he really wanted to come IN! Every time I opened the door he was right there and trying his best to get in! He must have had a few chats with my cats, as he was quite friendly with all of us. He was absolutely worth the vet bills and the effort! He was one of the sweetest, most cuddly kitties I've ever had, and so very grateful for anything and everything we gave him.

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Without a doubt ! I had been a "dog" person for over 50 years. In the past I had taken in 5 stray dogs & they were tame, gentle & loving creatures. They always seemed too be very grateful. When my 3 dogs were getting older, about 7 years ago, a stray female cat showed up around my house. Being an animal lover, I started to feed her.  6 weeks later , another younger female kitty came along. After a couple months , I opened the door & the older cat came in. I kept her in a seperate room from the dogs & she took to the litter box right away.  6 months later , the young cat let me pick her up & shortly after that I brought her inside also. I now have 7 cats, 5 females & 2 males. All have been spayed/neutered & all were strays. I think 2 or 3 were indoors at one time. All of them took to the litter box immediately & never had an "accident". And to my suprise none have really showed an obsession to get back outside.  They all are gentle yet playful, and very loving.