Any Chai drinkers out there?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Forgive my naivete, but... what makes it chai? Is it an ingredient, or a type of tealeaf, or the way it's prepared...?
i would say the spices used. for example, the Chai i like [Stash's double spice chai tea] has these ingredients: [font=arial, helvetica]Spicy, aromatic blend of black teas, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove and cardamom.[/font]

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chai tea is my favorite too. I usually drink it in colder weather and I make my own. I still like Starbucks or Paneras chai, but after making my own, they really don't compare.
It takes fresh ginger: 5 quarter sized slices unpeeled, 10 crushed green cardamom pods, 10 black peppercorns, 2-3 inches stick cinnamon, 10 whole cloves in 3 cups of water, bring to boil, simmer 10 minutes, put in 1 tablespoon black tea, bring to boil, simmer three minutes, put in 1 cup milk and heat, add sweetener if needed, I use brown sugar. Strain and serve.
I sometimes foam up nonfat milk and and do half that and half chai in a cup.
Different spices can be used, fennel, star anise, allspice, to name a few. There are lots of chai recipes on the internet with variations.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Chai" is simply the word used for tea in India and Iran. But (at least in India) it's almost always served spiced - the word for spice in Hindi is "masala," and what we're calling chai is technically masala chai.

The spices used can vary a lot, but are generally green cardamon pods, cinnamon, cloves, ginger.....

I lived in India for close to a year and was married to an Indian for almost 7 years. He and his family made chai simply by boiling milk, sugar, water, black tea, and green cardamon. It was fabulous.

Here are home made recipes: http://www.odie.org/chai/recipes.html

Laurie

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Chai!!!

When i fix it at home i use Twingings Indian Spiced Chai Tea - and I add hot milk (lactaid fat free for me) and sugar to mine
It tastes great!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I have lots more things to try. I have gotten close with a tea bag, cinimon, nutmeg & Honey, but not close enough. So yesterday I decided to try the Oregon. It's not exactly like Starbucks, but it is still like heaven in a mug! I like it best when it tastes like (as someone else said) liquid pumpkin pie. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to try some of these other recipies on saturdays. I'm not a coffee drinker so I like starting the day with Chia as a source of caffine. (otherwise I drink diet coke 24/7)

Edit: I figured out the difference this morning. The Tazo tea has black annis in it and I can totally taste it. I'm not a huge fan so I don't like the taste.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am an Oregon Chai fan too. I used to work at a small family owned coffee shop and that's what they served there. It's not as strong on spices as Starbuck's but I like it that way. I mix it with half milk, and half tea. It's so creamy that way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I do like the Oregon Chia, but I like how spiced Starbucks is too. This morning I tried my Chia with vannilla almond milk. It's preety good for a differnt flavor, but I'm going to have to pick up some dairy milk.