kitkat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't resemble any particular breed IMO, maybe someone else can come up with something.. Their colours are tortie mackerel tabby and brown classic tabby.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't see marks of any particular breed, but I can describe their colors.

Macy is a beautiful torbie-- a tabby tortoiseshell, with the mackerel tabby pattern. She has tabby stripes through both colors rather than just the red, as a regular tortoiseshell cat would, thus the term "torbie".

Samson's is also a tabby pattern, but he is a classic tabby, a pattern which is somewhat rarer than the mackerel tabby pattern. Those bullseye swirls on his sides that you noticed are the most striking features of the classic tabby pattern, which has broader stripes than the mackerel tabby pattern which Macy has.

If you look on both cats' foreheads, you will see the "Tabby M", which all tabby cats have and which I think is a definite part of their charm!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys! I guess the color is kind of what I was looking for because I wasn't exactly sure what tabby meant. I honestly thought that Macy was a classic tabby because there seem to be so many with a similar pattern and I haven't seen many cats with Samson's coat. The lady at the shelter called Macy a calitab because she thought she was tabby and calico.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are some beautiful cats!
It does seem like the mackerel tabby would be the one called "classic" since they're the most common and they are the ones who most resemble the wild ancestors. Maybe people just liked the classic tabby pattern and thought of it as the classic cat look from some old illustrations? (I am just wildly guessing, lol) .
Classic tabby is also called "blotched tabby". It's a Western cat pattern, it's not seen in native cats of Asia.
It seems to be more common in the UK than elsewhere.