Any Artists Here?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going over a DVD based art program I picked up for my kids to do this year. It looks pretty fun! I think I'm going to do some of the projects along with my kids. :anticipation:

I don't really consider myself truly artistic; as in I'm not really good at drawing. But in college I took some classes that we painted in and they were SO fun! I liked Art History too. (They didn't make us memorize dates and things. ;))

So right now I'm going over the supply list and trying not to :fear: when it lists individual tubes of watercolors and things like that. I'm talking about a 7 and 9 year old have access to these things!! I probably had most of them during college but I don't know where they are and it's been at least 15 years sooo... yeah they probably aren't good. So :fear: but at the same time :anticipation:.

I decided to start with the First Grade video even though my kids are older because of how she introduces concepts and methods. I think we can do about 1 1/3 levels per year. So eventually we will catch up. But I think it's more important that they learn that art is fun and such a great way to express yourself. It's more than just drawing or painting. I was intimidated in college finding out we were going to be painting all semester! I had no real experience beyond crayola water colors in a tray and craft projects with acrylics. But I found painting became soothing. I'm going to be the kind of old lady who takes art classes for fun and doesn't care what critics say. It's about the process.

We get to work with scupley at some point too. I heard one level she teaches about the Sistine Chapel and has you tape paper under a table top to experience painting on a ceiling. That sounds SO fun! But I better invest in a drop cloth too. :lol:

So anyone here artistic? Any advice on teaching or guiding kids? On buying supplies even?

I think I'm going to have to go to an art store to find the paints. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg; but I also don't want to get junk that frustrates them. Looking online has me a bit: :dizzy:. I need one of those good total percent off purchases for the craft store. :lol2:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
If it's long term projects get good quality materials. But stick with 3 primary colors.
Red,
Yellow
Blue.

You can get 2 dif reds, yellow and blues and learn how to make other colors.

Doesn't matter if they won't use them all, it's fun to explore colors. Get a color wheel and show them what complimentary colors are.

These are colors that are opposite of each other on wheel. Orange and purple
Red and green
Blue and yellow if my memory serves me well.

Check out Michaels or Joannes fabrics.

Get some hard paper high poundage type, it absorbs water better.

Get a couple of cheap easel frames to hold it up. I used large clip boards to hold the paper.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget white and black too.

I would get cerulean blue which is bright light blue then a navy blue is darker deeper color.

Crimson red and canary red i believe are basic reds.

A bright lemon yellow then a darker mustard yellow.

If you want to get a green, purple and brown would be ok . The deep dark bark brown is what I used.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want deep dark black. Adding navy blue to black gives it a cool black if I remember correctly. Adding a red gives it a warm black.

It's fun to just play around with colors and doing trees or fruit is a good start. A good light helps too.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I typically paint with acrylics and water-soluble oils. I lean towards abstracts, abstract expressionism, and expressionism when I paint and realism when I draw. I prefer drawing human faces. I would not exactly call myself an artist, but I have sold several paintings and have been featured in literary journals.

Jerry's Artarama has decent prices and selection. I paint with acrylics and water-soluble oils.

For quality, affordability, and experience level, I would suggest Van Gogh Watercolors. For the price, they are pretty good paints. They also offer a wide variety of colors. The colors I suggest from the Van Gogh line would be Permanent Red Deep and Carmine for the reds, Phthalo Blue and Cobalt Blue Ultramarine for the blues, Permanent Lemon Yellow and Gamboge for the yellows. Then get Oxide Black and Opaque White. Having the options within the primary color set can make a world of difference.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, can't even draw a proper stick figure. But I have been known to watch Bob Ross.
If you watch him, he could give you some easy ways to paint.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My son is an artist. He actually sells his paintings, and I order supplies for him from Dick Blick. They have everything at every level, and they've got a back-to-school sale on now. Art Supplies, Crafts & Framing | BLICK Art Materials

If you want to buy Jon's paintings: jonholdredge.com
:loveeyes: His paintings are amazing!! I follow an artist on Facebook who does a lot of Plein air work in the area where I am originally from; so I enjoy that. But the depth of colors in his work really makes them stand out! Beautiful!

I could get lost on that site for a while it looks like. I'm going to have to do that in the morning after I've had some sleep. :lol2:
I typically paint with acrylics and water-soluble oils. I lean towards abstracts, abstract expressionism, and expressionism when I paint and realism when I draw. I prefer drawing human faces. I would not exactly call myself an artist, but I have sold several paintings and have been featured in literary journals.

Jerry's Artarama has decent prices and selection. I paint with acrylics and water-soluble oils.

For quality, affordability, and experience level, I would suggest Van Gogh Watercolors. For the price, they are pretty good paints. They also offer a wide variety of colors. The colors I suggest from the Van Gogh line would be Permanent Red Deep and Carmine for the reds, Phthalo Blue and Cobalt Blue Ultramarine for the blues, Permanent Lemon Yellow and Gamboge for the yellows. Then get Oxide Black and Opaque White. Having the options within the primary color set can make a world of difference.
Thank you for the recommendations! I'm looking those up in the morning too! That website actually has a kit for all the supplies. I already have a few things; like junior pastels. I'm going to have to price shop around a bit I guess. And look at the lesson plans a little better. I guess I could also spread out the shopping.

I really like that this program exposes kids to art in more ways than just construction paper, popsicle sticks and glue. (Even if supply wise it costs me a little more.) That's why I think I'm going to be doing the projects right along with my kids. :lol:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to college for art specifically - Visual and Creative Arts. We did all kinds of stuff with lots of different types of media. We created art in so many ways. I have a website even for all my art work.

When it comes to learning about art, I think google is your bestfriend.