Any amazing chili recipes?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinkin it's chili time!
I have a really good recipe that I make in the crockpot for chili but I think I'd like to try something different than my same chili that I always make.
Does anyone have any super chili recipies?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I like my chili, but I don't know if it's everyone's cup o' tea, LOL.

I don't add meat because I simply do not handle meat at home. I'll eat it at a restaurant or at my mom's, but I can't cook it or handle raw meat at all. So this is a bean-only chili recipe. Suitable for vegetarians
. Also very quick and easy.

I buy one of every kind of canned beans at the grocery store: black, red, northern, dark red kidney, light red kidney, and pintos. Plus one can of pre-seasoned chili beans. I only do this for color; I don't think different kinds of beans really taste very different. Then one can of corn, one can of tomato sauce, and one can of diced tomatoes with onion. One tablespoon of chili powder, one teaspoon of garlic powder, and one teaspoon of cumin. Simmer over medium heat until warmed through and the flavors are set (usually 30 minutes or so for me)

I serve it over rice. That's how my family has always eaten chili, but some of my friends tell me that's just unbearably weird, LOL. Sometimes I use rotini noodles instead of rice.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My chili never turns out the same 2 times in a row because I don't have a recipe for it and wing it based on what I have at home at the time. I don't use a crock pot, but you could probably improvise this to cook in one. If you are creative, here's the gist of my recipe:

4 strips bacon, diced
2 pounds beef, cut into 1/2 squares
1 pound ground beef
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
can or 2 of diced tomatoes
peppers, diced - choose them based on how hot you want the chili
chili powder
cumin
salt & pepper
can or 2 of dark kidney beans

Brown the bacon and pull out of the pan when cooked. Add the beef and cook until nearly browned and add the onion and cook until the meat is browned. Remove from the pan and brown the ground beef. Drain thoroughly and all the meat and onion back into the pot.

Add everything else but the kidney beans and cook for at least 2 hours over a stove (this is where you could throw it in a crock pot and cook on low for about 6 hours). Add the beans and cook another hour.

Note on seasonings: I use anything from habenaro, jalapeno, chili, tai, serano, bell or any other pepper growing in my garden. This season we are heavy with a red pepper that is actually hotter than jalapeno's. If I go heavy on real peppers, I don't use chili powder, but I always use at least a tablespoon of cumin. Fresh peppers give it a more natural flavor (IMO) over store bought seasonings. Salt and pepper are to taste.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is never the same every time but DH loves it.

1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic chopped
3-4 tbs chili powder
1 jalapeño chopped or 2 tsp dried chili pepper flakes
1 large can crushed tomatoes
3 cans pinto beans, drained
fresh ground pepper.

brown ground beef until almost done. Put onions and garlic in pan and continue cooking. Drain excess fat. Put tomatoes, chili powder in crock pot and stir, put beans, jalapeño, and beef mixture and stir.

Cook on low for 4-6 hrs or high for 2 hrs.

This recipe can be varied in the amount of chili powder or garlic. I also sometimes will stir in some grated cheddar cheese before starting the crock pot.

Serve with grated cheese and/or onions.

I don't use salt but some people will put salt in it. DH likes is super hot so he will put tabasco on his

This is especially good over rice. I serve it with a slice or two of garlic bread or corn bread.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chili is always good. I make black bean and steak chili. I also grow my own peppers. This recipie is for a 6qt crockpot...modify as necessary. I also make a good bean soup.

2-3 cans of black beans
2-3 cans of stewed tomatoes (I dice them myself instead of buying them diced)
4-6 anaheim or poblano peppers for a mild-spicy chili
-or-
1-3 cayenne, jalapeno, or habenero peppers for a mild-to-wallpaper removing chili
1pkg of pepper bacon (cooked and drained)
1.25lbs of stew meat or steak
1 cup of frozen corn
.75 cups of chopped celery
1 bunch of green onions (chopped)
a couple cloves of garlic
1 tsp fresh basil
1 tsp fresh oregano
.5 tsp cumin
.25 tsp black pepper
some worchestershire sauce
some tiger sauce (or whatever hot sauce is handy)

I make this recipie in a 6qt crockpot and it is full when everything is done cooking. Take your peppers and put them on a lightly greased cookie sheet and broil them a couple of minutes until the skin starts to blister. Turn them over and repeat the process until the peppers are evenly blistered all the way around. If you are workiing with some of the hotter peppers, wear gloves when you are working with them. Do not touch your face after handling the peppers. When the peppers are evenly blistered, take a knife and slit them open, peel the skin off of the outside and scrape the seeds from the inside. Also cut away the stem. When your peppers are all cleaned in this manner, mince them up until they are basically a paste. You don't want any large pieces floating around in your chili.

Cut up the bacon into little pieces and cook until crispy (not black). Take your stew meat or steak and cut it into nice, small bits...probably about .5in cubes. You want the pieces to brown easily. Mince your garlic and onions and add them to a frying pan. Brown the stew meat in the same pan you cooked the bacon in but with only a little of the bacon grease (you don't need to use all of the grease) While your stew meat is browning, add some tiger sauce and some worst sauce for flavor. You want the meat to be nice and brown, not grey. It takes a little while, so be patient.

Now, add everything to the crockpot. You may want to add 2-3 cans of water to achieve a good consistency. I just use the can that the black beans came in to measure out the water. You can add more or less of the herbs that I listed depending on personal taste, but remember that the cumin is what adds that essential chili flavor. Also, if you want just a hint of sweetness, add some brown sugar. Have fun!!!

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible for the ppl that handle the peppers then rub their eyes...consider yourself warned

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love chili, and will make several different variations.... plus there is "me" chili and DH chili.

Many variations on spices.

- either a mixture of beans OR gr. beef OR gr. chicken/turkey
- large can spag sauce ( I use a hot n' spicy one)
- can crushed tomatoes (I don't like chunks of tomatoes)
- brown beans (if not making bean chili)
- kidney beans (if not making bean chili)
- if it is bean chili, included are a 5bean medly, plus white and red kidneys, lentils, and whatever other bean I have.
- tomato soup
- mushrooms, gr. peppers, onions, spinach
- spices: chili powder, cayenne pepper and garlic.

All quantities dependant on which crockpot I'm using (3, 5, or 7qt) and spices dependant on my tastebuds that day.

Since quitting smoking, I can NOT eat my chili with the amount of hot spices that I used to use..... so mine is toned down, DH's is spicy, and my kids don't eat it.

I love making chili..... so easy, and it freezes so wonderfully.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How funny. I made my chili soup for the first time of the season on Friday! I'm not a big fan of "real chili", I don't like all the yucky things people put in it, I especially cannot tolerate that green pepper taste.

Campbell's used to make this delicious soup called "chili beef", one of their "Fiesta" line and it broke my ehart when they stopped making it.

so I had to find my own version. After much experimenting I have created a chili soup that suits me, but I doubt any true die hard chili lover would like it.