Any Advice Regarding High Blood Pressure Meds & Anti-Depressants??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

If this is worrying you i would be getting a second opinion! Tell another gp of your concerns.

I've had the combination of depression/high blood pressure, but not the medications. My blood pressure goes up and down, i have had alot of stress and such so it's been more up lately. I also go with your thing of not wanting to take mind altering drugs. Obviousely the levels of depression are different in people. I've some how managed with all the crud to manage but some days i really struggle.

If your depression is crippling you then talk to your doc. In regards to your blood pressure, maybe you can see a nutritionist about your diet or something, if you cannot excercise due to your back. There are always ways.

Are you going to councelling at all? Perhaps you can do that to also deal with your depression/past relationship troubles. That is what i am doing. I don't have alot of money but i'm managing to see someone at a lower rate as i got referred to them from my employment agency.

I don't know if this helps at all

PS: And i thought my pressure was high. The highest i've had measured was 140/90. My lowest was 120/79 (i'm hoping to get back to that). I get stressed when i turn up at the docs. It is an uphill walk too that the bus doesn't go up so when i get there i'm pooped. Also as i am a cuddly chick the arm band really hurts when it's fully inflated and i get even more stressed

Glad you're not me lol
The depression is pretty bad some days, to the point where I just plain don't care about much of anything.
But it's not every day: if it was, I'd be a lot more concerned than I am. I think I'm gonna hold off on taking the anti-depressant, till I know how the high blood pressure stuff is gonna affect me. I'm also going through menopause, so I think that has something to do w/ the depression also..
And being "stuck" at home most of the time b/c of my back situation doesn't help my mood, either..

I'm not seeing a therapist right now, but plan on doing so when and IF my disability is approved: I know it probably would do me some good - it sure can't hurt any. The guy who was abusive towards me really messed w/ my head, and I haven't been the same since.
I obviously can't go to see a therapist now, b/c I'm not working and can't afford it. But I do plan on doing so as soon as possible..

Thanks for your advice, and concern! It is appreciated!

~KK~

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
" end" normal

130 or less

80 or less

I dont do the new age one of 120/70 as the new norm

My mom for years had 80/50 as we age blood pressure rises a bit so she is now 90/60

my norm for the last 15 yrs( umm sorry didnt keep track prior) is 116/68 to122/72.. when your sick or in pain it rises ... one day not to long ago mine was 140/96, but I had some major pain going on

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Is 130/65 TOO low??
It's low for me. My body is used to a blood pressure of about 140/85 or 90. That's normal for me.

Everyone has a "normal" for their own body. The fact that you keep hearing 120/80 is just a baseline that doctors use to determine highs and lows. You will rarely find anyone with a blood pressure of 120/80. It's just a number ... a guide. Some will have higher blood pressures and others will have lower ones. If it gets too high then they put you on blood pressure medication.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

If you are nervous about the combo at all in how it will affect your BP - buy a blood pressure cuff and take your own reading every morning when you wake up first thing, and check later too.

It is good to do a baseline in the a.m., before other things set in that can raise it. I had potential issues with high BP and my doc wanted me to check it in case I went into a "danger zone".

Even if you trust your doc and mix the meds, I would definitely check it yourself regardless.
My s/o & I were just talking about getting a blood pressure cuff last night (he has high blood pressure, too). I've checked it myself on occasion when we're in Wal-Mart sometimes, but those machines there don't seem to be very accurate most of the time; so I don't really rely on them..

Thanks for you input: I appreciate it, too!

~KK~

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

My s/o & I were just talking about getting a blood pressure cuff last night (he has high blood pressure, too). I've checked it myself on occasion when we're in Wal-Mart sometimes, but those machines there don't seem to be very accurate most of the time; so I don't really rely on them..

Thanks for you input: I appreciate it, too!

~KK~
the machines are accurate to the pt that all " norms" are given for a relaxed state ... Ie walking can shoot up BP 20-30 pts

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

High and low's vary from person to person. Some have slightly higher blood pressure then the suggested 120/80 and are fine. Others have low blood pressure and don't have problems with dizziness, falling/fainting (unfortunately I'm not one of them...).

130/65 doesn't sound that bad to me
And I second getting a home wrist cuff, these run about $50. Maybe you can see if whatever medical coverage you're using now (if you are) will cover the cost, or part of it. It's not uncommon for people to test a bit high at the doctor's office because of nervousness.
I have no medical coverage, so that makes things difficult..
And as I just mentioned to CDubbie, my s/o & I were discussing getting a cuff..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

" end" normal

130 or less

80 or less

I dont do the new age one of 120/70 as the new norm

My mom for years had 80/50 as we age blood pressure rises a bit so she is now 90/60

my norm for the last 15 yrs( umm sorry didnt keep track prior) is 116/68 to122/72.. when your sick or in pain it rises ... one day not to long ago mine was 140/96, but I had some major pain going on
Yes, I know the pain can affect your blood pressure, and considering the fact that I'm in almost constant pain b/c of my back, I'm sure that has something to do w/ it..

Thanks for your input, Sharky!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It's low for me. My body is used to a blood pressure of about 140/85 or 90. That's normal for me.

Everyone has a "normal" for their own body. The fact that you keep hearing 120/80 is just a baseline that doctors use to determine highs and lows. You will rarely find anyone with a blood pressure of 120/80. It's just a number ... a guide. Some will have higher blood pressures and others will have lower ones. If it gets too high then they put you on blood pressure medication.
Gottcha! Thanks!

~KK~

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Actually, a bloodpressure of 140/85 is considered pre-hypertension, and 140/90 is stage one hypertension and needs to be treated with medication. Sorry, but it's not normal for you or for anyone, it's hypertension and needs to be treated!

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/...BP_WhatIs.html
http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/up...ate0803a.shtml

For pre-hypertension, weight loss, exercise, and sodium reduction are recommended, but medication isn't usually indicated.

For stage one hypertension, change health habits and take a blood pressure medication (probably starting with a diuretic.) If you have another health problem (diabetes, angina, kidney disease, etc.) then a different drug (beta blocker, ACE inhibitor, etc.) is probably necessary.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Actually, a bloodpressure of 140/85 is considered pre-hypertension, and 140/90 is stage one hypertension and needs to be treated with medication. Sorry, but it's not normal for you or for anyone, it's hypertension and needs to be treated!
Sorry, but it is "normal" for me and not considered high enough to be treated with medication because then my blood pressure drops too low and I pass out.

So yes, it is on the higher end of normal, but that is perfectly normal for me.