Any advice on how to capture a feral cat and train him to be an indoor pet

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You could keep him in a room that you've set up for him, but it might be really difficult to catch him again in the trap. The only way you could do that is if you make the trap his "Safe-spot". That is, if there are no other hiding places in the room and you line and cover the trap so that it is his bed.

If you're only planning to keep him in the trap overnight put a sheet of cardboard on the bottom of the trap and cover this with a layer of straw. (Make sure the cardboard and straw don't stop the trap door shutting all the way.) Once he is in the trap stand it on a couple of bricks so that is he pees it will drain out. You can keep the trap covered but you'll need to move it somewhere safe, indoors or into a garage.

Weigh your trap with the cardboard and straw in it. It's a lot easier for the vet to work out how much anesthetic the cat needs if he can weigh him accurately in the trap. Less stressful for the cat too.

Your husband's idea of a safe room for him is great, it will make a good recovery room for him after the operation. Are you hoping to keep him as an indoor cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely we want to make it a permanent indoor, we love the cat

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone kept a feral as a pet and it bit, scratched attacked you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has anyone kept a feral as a pet and it bit, scratched attacked you
No, that is not common.

Why, Had it happened to you or are you afraid of it?  Usually they just do warn their caretaker, but serious scratching and serious bites are not common.

If you plan on adopting one, but are a little afraid, dont be.  He will be surely shy, at least to strangers. But as long you dont push him into extremis, he wont be violent against you.

Why, these few who ARE aggressive, seldom get adopted and never adopted to a newbe.  Its the timid, shy ferales whom gets adopted.

There are two exceptions:  In the self moment of catching, even a friendly semiferale may be very aggressive in sheer selfdefence. So the catcher must beware, having perhaps thick gloves and protective glasses.   After calming down realising there is no immediate danger, they cool down and are just shy to the rescuer.  Warming up with time and patience.

The other exception are  intact ferale dominant, territorial toms.   They may be friendly to the human, but will beat up your cat residents...

So such a tom must be neutered at least three weeks before you even try to let it meet your residents.

But shy, non territorial toms  are easier, and they do behave normally.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was born a feral in our backyard and we are trying to capture him today, bit of course it snowed and he may not come out. He doesn't seem violent but I am very scared he may attack is especially down the road when we let him have free access to the whole house. I have a fear of anything so haha, I was just seeing if anyone has ever been attacked, I don't think this car seems aggressive . I am really scared bc my hubby will do the trapping in our cage and I will be hiding under my blanket bc I don't want to see out feral get scared it thrash against the metal. We have a blanket already covering it and calming stuff to place in his bed and several nada and a huge box for our feral to hide. I think once w exarch our feral I will be fine I just do rant to see our feral scared in the cage and I need reassuring that what we are dojng is the best thing for him and that it is just a temp scare in our cage! I really appreciate the advice you provided

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, but it can take a long, long time before you can safely interact with a feral.  Ones we trapped we put in a room by themselves.  We left them in a big cage at first, usually a week, with the door positioned so we could change kitty litter, food and water.  IN the big cage we put a cardboard box with bedding and we made sure the cat could hide in it if it wanted.  I put the big cage in my office so the cat is exposed to my presence but mostly I ignore it.

Things would go in steps, of different timing for different ones.

CAt would  not hide anymore.

Cat would eat in my distant presence.

CAt would eat with me sitting on the floor near the crate, then beside the crate.  All the while me being careful to not look at the cat or move my arms and hands too much.  This might happen by the end of the second week.

Then I'd open the crate door but still feed in the crate.  Then put food outside the crate, this step usually causing a regression to not eating in my presence.

I will skip a couple of steps and go to play.  BEfore I pet a cat or touch it I play with it using a long skinny stick.  The cat gets used to my hands moving that way, at a distance.  I am sitting on the floor, I get the cat running over my lap.  I might not touch or pet for a month in.

ETA:  Unless the feral turns out to be a dumpee as did the Mom we trapped.  She turned out to have been a pet, I could pet her right away.  STill, we also got her kittens and she was protective of them.  The first time I took them out to handle them I locked her out of the room first, so i could touch the kittens without worrying about her attacking me to defend them.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some will thrash around in the trap and some get quiet. But trapping has ot be done and they do get over it. Jsut cover the trap fully with a blanket.

Get the cat into a vet to be checked out for general health, worms, parasites etc and of course spay or neuter as soon as possible.

I have dealt with a lot of ferals and fortunately have not been bitten yet. BUT I am always on my guard. Watch for the warning signs, hissing, growling, tail moving rapidly, tail getting big (puffed up), ears pinned down or back. If they feel trapped and do not have an exit then if a person pushes them they can lash out. So make sure if you see these signs or if they start feeling trapped just back off and wait for them to calm down.

When they come back from the vet and are in recovery from their surgery put them in a big dog crate. Put something they can sleep in/hide, a litter box in there etc. When you clean their litter box they'll probably  hide in the box. Eventually they will warm up and we can talk about the things to do after that.

But don't worry about the cat when they are trapped, they will be fine. I have done a lot of ferals and only have ferals and not one holds it against me. Cats are pretty smart and they can tell they are being taken care of and are being loved.

Feel free to ask any questions, good luck, and thanks for taking care of this cat. He or she is going to have a much better life because of you and your husband!! Thanks!!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all that advice and thank you for being open to provide us in future advice. Everyone on this site are great caring people, we love animals and try and take care of ferals in need and i love that!
We def are attached to our feral and can't wait for him to be comfortable with us where he can have our whole house to play in and cuddle! I want to take all ferals as pets!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we are trying to trap our feral in a cage but the cat will not go inside cage. are there any different options in catching feral

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to use a humane trap and start by feeding the feral in the unset trap for a few days so that he/she will get used to it.  A cage is not a proper way to trap a feral.  You really need a humane trap.  Once the cat is used to eating inside of the unset trap ( just use string or zip ties to keep it open) you can then set the trap on the day of the vet appointment. 

You can do a youtube search or go to Alley Cat Allies for videos on trapping a feral.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a humane trap, I just call it a cage new to this sorry