Any Advice for Putting Eye Drops in?

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I hope you and your cats had a great holiday season!

Poor Morgana has been to the vets yesterday with a weepy eye. No ulcers which is great! The vet explained that most cats are carriers of a viral infection and it can present in weepy eyes like Morgana, and stress can sometimes bring it out. I feel really bad as we recently did the travel and stayed with my parents for a week for the holidays so I feel dead guilty it was my fault. If she doesn’t improve within this 10 day course of medicine we will have to dig deeper, but the vet said there isn’t really much way to “treat it”, but manage the flare ups?

Morgana has been prescribed isathal eye drops three times daily in the right eye where it’s weepy, and a lubricant eye gel in both eyes four times a day. She’s also on pain medication (3ml as her weight is 3.4kg daily, she’s teeny! Her weight is perfect, she’s just “lean”…) which is easy enough as it’s just a few drops on her wet food.

I’m really struggling to get the eye drops in - I’m finding it really difficult to keep her still, keep her head tilted towards me and then her eye open and get the drops in! I sort of have to hold her down in my lap with my arm, then sort of tilt her head and keep her eye open with one hand while the other gets the drops in. It takes a while due to her bunny kicking and scratching to escape so have a few battle wounds!

Was hoping you guys with experience know an easier way? I live solo so sadly no other pairs of hands in the house! :lol:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was hoping you guys with experience know an easier way? I live solo so sadly no other pairs of hands in the house!
I really feel for you here. I am in the same situation of living solo, while my cat is in chemotherapy and I am dosing any meds he might need by myself.

Eye drops sound like a nightmare. I had a hard enough time getting ear drops into my cat's ears by myself... eyes must be a lot tougher.

I can only offer general advice...

Ask your vet to demonstrate it for you. I realize this might not be possible for everyone (just getting your cat to the vet is hard enough, and your vet might be far away). But most will be happy to demonstrate how to do things at home.

Try to get your cat at her most chill state when you do this. When it's medicine-time, let medicine-time go if she is alert and active, and wait for a better moment. I always did that with Willy's ear drops (and also with pills in general), so I'd sneak-attack him with the medicine after he got relaxed and sleepy. (I know this is probably a lot harder with eye drops.)

Use as much positive reinforcement as possible. Even when you attempt to get drops in, but fail, praise and reward her. She could actually get at least a little bit more tolerant over time.

Hopefully someone has better advice than this. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really feel for you here. I am in the same situation of living solo, while my cat is in chemotherapy and I am dosing any meds he might need by myself.

Eye drops sound like a nightmare. I had a hard enough time getting ear drops into my cat's ears by myself... eyes must be a lot tougher.

I can only offer general advice...

Ask your vet to demonstrate it for you. I realize this might not be possible for everyone (just getting your cat to the vet is hard enough, and your vet might be far away). But most will be happy to demonstrate how to do things at home.

Try to get your cat at her most chill state when you do this. When it's medicine-time, let medicine-time go if she is alert and active, and wait for a better moment. I always did that with Willy's ear drops (and also with pills in general), so I'd sneak-attack him with the medicine after he got relaxed and sleepy. (I know this is probably a lot harder with eye drops.)

Use as much positive reinforcement as possible. Even when you attempt to get drops in, but fail, praise and reward her. She could actually get at least a little bit more tolerant over time.

Hopefully someone has better advice than this. Good luck!
It’s so difficult with an unwilling kitty and being solo, isn’t it?!

My current method is slowly working - she gets a treat after every eye drop at the moment and even then it’s a bit of a struggle! I have teeny hands. Half the time I get her in position only for her to bunny kick riiiighhht as I’m about to pop her drops in. I’ve managed all her doses so far but covered in scratched, and this is after I clipped her nails this morning so they weren’t as sharp! Hopefully someone has a method to make it easier. Considering making her a purrito so she can’t wriggle when I attempt next, I’ll have to do another dose before dinner and a final one before bed.

Healing thoughts for your kitty!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s so difficult with an unwilling kitty and being solo, isn’t it?!
Absolutely. And even though I've gotten very adept at pilling my cat, there are still occasionally times when I just can't make it work.

Considering making her a purrito so she can’t wriggle when I attempt next
In your case, this actually sounds like a good idea to me.

Although I never figured out how to do that with my cat. He always managed to get away when I was trying to wrap him. So I haven't taken the time to learn.

But with eye drops this sounds like a good idea to me. Have you done it before? When I tried it it seemed like there was technique just in doing the restraining and wrapping, which was rough by myself.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try to get them in the corner of my couch or chair, sitting beside be, but they can't back away, then hold their head with one hand try to open the eye and do the drops with the other. It helps if you warm the drops before administering by putting the bottle in your armpit or something like that. Follow up with a treat.

The key is to remain calm. If you're frustrated, your kitty will pick up on it and will definitely act on that. You could also invest in something like this to put your kitty in, then do the drops.

Kitty Medicine Restraint

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to get them in the corner of my couch or chair, sitting beside be, but they can't back away
I didn't remember to mention this, but with me, this is how I ALWAYS administer meds with my cat. I pin him between myself and the arm of my couch.

Good point.

Edit: And it's always the left side of my couch. Because I'm right-handed. For me (this might differ with other people), I find that doing restraint-related stuff with my left hand, and dosing the med with my right, is the best way.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
To make a purrito, you have to get a towel which is big enough to wrap around the cat entirely. Have the medication as ready to go as you can in your case. Hang on and apply the medication.

This video might help. Ignore the fact that they always choose the calmest cat in the universe to film these. There are other YouTube videos as well.

I did successfully give my Chelsea all of her SCL medications this way.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ignore the fact that they always choose the calmest cat in the universe to film these.
Yes! Thank you for bringing that up. That has always been my biggest issue with the "how-to" videos that are filmed with cats.

Edit: I'd love to see any video like this with an uncooperative cat, if anybody has a link. I understand that it isn't the most desirable thing to watch, as forcing an uncooperative cat to do something probably doesn't look great from the outside... but it could be very instructive for the average person/cat.

Last edited:

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To make a purrito, you have to get a towel which is big enough to wrap around the cat entirely. Have the medication as ready to go as you can in your case. Hang on and apply the medication.

This video might help. Ignore the fact that they always choose the calmest cat in the universe to film these. There are other YouTube videos as well.

I did successfully give my Chelsea all of her SCL medications this way.
Thank you so much for this! I decided to use one of the blankets we cuddle up with on the sofa for a purrito attempt just now for her medicine dose. No bunny kicks despite the wrap not being perfect, even got some purrs and the eye drops went in within seconds! So much easier.

Side note - do you guys have experience or more knowledge with the viral carrier infection? I just got a bit worried when the vet said it was a flare up and the testing and not being able to treat it sort of thing! She explained it so quick, gave me meds and sort of shoved me out the door as fast as possible (wasn’t our usual vet…) so I was a bit intimidated to ask. No worries if not! Just trying to soothe the anxiety.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this! I decided to use one of the blankets we cuddle up with on the sofa for a purrito attempt just now for her medicine dose. No bunny kicks despite the wrap not being perfect, even got some purrs and the eye drops went in within seconds! So much easier.
I wish I had this much success. I've tried wrapping my cat using several different how-to videos, and I've personally had more success with just restraining using my left arm. Maybe this also highly depends on the cat, and mine just cannot be wrapped?

It's good to hear that it's working for you, though.

In my case, my cat senses the start of being wrapped, and goes ape-sh** as soon as he feels his backside being covered by a material.

I don't mean to detract from your main thread topic, but I'd love to know any particulars of the technique you used for the wrapping.

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I had this much success. I've tried wrapping my cat using several different how-to videos, and I've personally had more success with just restraining using my left arm. Maybe this also highly depends on the cat, and mine just cannot be wrapped?

It's good to hear that it's working for you, though.

In my case, my cat senses the start of being wrapped, and goes ape-sh** as soon as he feels his backside being covered by a material.

I don't mean to detract from your main thread topic, but I'd love to know any particulars of the technique you used for the wrapping.
I’m not sure if it was any sort of technique apart from… hope, pray, remain calm and just sort of make sure her legs were tucked in. It may have helped that the blanket I used in particular is one that I spend lots of time with, so it was covered in my scent - but it’s also a blanket I send her to boarding with when she goes on holiday for comfort? I just sort of wrapped her as gently but as fast as I can before she could slip out, then sort of held her in that “baby” post in my arm for easier access to her eyes while sitting cross-legged to support her butt. Sorry if that didn’t make any sense!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may have helped that the blanket I used in particular is one that I spend lots of time with, so it was covered in my scent - but it’s also a blanket I send her to boarding with when she goes on holiday for comfort?
This is a very interesting aspect I never would have considered.

Every time I've tried wrapping my cat, it's been with a large towel. And the towels I've always tried using were probably always fresh out of my dresser drawer, which means they were clean and scented with laundry detergent.

Using a well-used blanket that he sleeps on is an excellent idea.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much - this is comforting. I was considering getting a second cat, but if this is something that can be passed from Morgs I may have to reconsider unless a lot of cats are already infected from birth if I’m understanding correctly? I think this is what the vet thinks that Morgana has. Hopefully we get this flare up under control with the ten day medicine course - limit travel in future! Morgana usually goes into boarding if I go on vacation, but due to bereavement she came to my parents house 3 hours from my place: lots of family were in and out too (I did give her one room to be a safe zone but she kept constantly scratching to be out and lots of exploring!) I think it’s the travel more than being in a new place, but going forward I’ll limit this to as little as possible. I just panicked when she said no cure and stuff like that.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Herpesvirus Infection in Cats (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis) | VCA Animal Hospitals
This article gives some information about the vaccine and its effectiveness if other cats are in the household. I have always had a multicat household and no one else came down with this, although there is a slight chance even after a vaccine; however, that is true of many vaccines, animal and human.

Morgana may have been stressed by the sudden change in her living arrangements, but there are times when we all have other commitments and you can only do what you can do.

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Herpesvirus Infection in Cats (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis) | VCA Animal Hospitals
This article gives some information about the vaccine and its effectiveness if other cats are in the household. I have always had a multicat household and no one else came down with this, although there is a slight chance even after a vaccine; however, that is true of many vaccines, animal and human.

Morgana may have been stressed by the sudden change in her living arrangements, but there are times when we all have other commitments and you can only do what you can do.
Thank you so much, you’ve been so kind and comforting! I’ll see how things go. This is her at the moment, I feel so bad for her as it looks very sore! We’re getting all doses in as required and it’s only day 2, so hopefully she starts feeling better soon.
F62A3FA0-3EA2-473C-B008-B7A5DF9EBF2F.jpeg

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your baby is PRECIOUS!!! I’ve experienced administrating cream in both my kitties eyes and it’s not easy — definitely a two man job if possible. I find it helpful to wait until they are as sleepy as possible (got to act quick) and having a favorite treat on hand to distract., churu’s are a fan fav here! Highly recommend 🥰

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your baby is PRECIOUS!!! I’ve experienced administrating cream in both my kitties eyes and it’s not easy — definitely a two man job if possible. I find it helpful to wait until they are as sleepy as possible (got to act quick) and having a favorite treat on hand to distract., churu’s are a fan fav here! Highly recommend 🥰
Thank you so much! I’m very biased but I think she’d super adorable too! It definitely wasn’t easy at first, Morgs is such a high-strung, filled to the absolute brim with energy sort of cat. It’s a similar experience when nail trimming! The purrito method I’ve been using has really been helping, so it’s not as difficult now to get all her doses in. She’s even purring after being wrapped up now, but she also knows she gets a treat after each eye :blush:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Morgana’s Human Morgana’s Human
When I saw your OP I immediately was going to suggest the same as fionasmom fionasmom ,I was so glad she did as she even posted a video for you to see- and I'm so glad this has helped you PLUS it will get easier and easier as you practice this method more & more

Very recently my Max( the youngest,he's 2) was diagnosed with FHV- I was livid really and even started at Thead about it so I could vent.Yes it is quite common and many many cats have it and live their entire lives asymptomatic but still they are carriers

The main reason I was so ticked off is because every single cat I have ever introduced into my home are tested for it( rapid test) because I do soecifao request it along with all their other tests,I quarantine,vaccinate and take every precaution I can to prevent my clowder from being exposed- so how did this happen?Who is the carrier?Are the others infected? I thought of the possibility of getting a false negative or did someone not do what I asked?To make a rather long story short I realized the only one I did not bring to my own Vet was Max because I found him outside 2,yrs ago and brought him to my friends shelter to be adopted- she had him nuetered by her Vet and next day I went back to fetch him and keep him myself- so I believe Max is the one

I found out ,like you because Max was to the Vet several times as he kept squinting,antibiotics & then the other eye,antibiotics and again back to tye other eye!Finally my Vet referred me to an Opthamologist ,,-thank God because he could have lost his eyesight.The Conjuctiva resulted in ghost vessels so there was hardly the infection to detect -even with ultra violet

The only change in the house was introducing a new cat & is likely the reason the virus flared up

Do you have other cats ? My Sami & Bella have not gotten it so I make sure to give them their boosters ( helps for upper respiratory resistance) -in any event the important thing is to avoid stress to trigger flare ups...Max went on both anti viral meds and broad spectrum antibiotics ( 2,weeks) and his ghost vessels did disappear and now he just gets twice a day lubricant because something is irritating his eyes- the opthamologist said its a catch 22 ,the flare up could be the culprit or whatever is irritating his eyes!,Go figure- sheesh

Max is easy though,I put him on my lap,on his back and he puts his head back-every cat should be so co-operative and all my cats will lie like that except my Graycie who gets weepy eyed - she loves a particular box though so I hold her head and do it very quickly

I talk too much,forgive my long winded post but the moral of my story is that Morgana will be just fine and will live a long,happy,healthy life with FHV- you can get a rapid test done if you really want to be sure of the diagnosis- both my Vet and the opthamolist Saud most cats they treat for eye infections are FHV positive and you'd never know it - I have them all on Lysine supplimdnt which is excellent support to boost their immune systdm,lesson upper respiratory systems such as weepy eyes,sneezing and congestion ahd I must say I can SEE &,feel a difference in their coats- all of them,super soft and shiny

Don't worry,with a Cat Mama such as yourself Morgan will do very very well❤

Last edited:

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Morgana’s Human Morgana’s Human
When I saw your OP I immediately was going to suggest the same as fionasmom fionasmom ,I was so glad she did as she even posted a video for you to see- and I'm so glad this has helped you PLUS it will get easier and easier as you practice this method more & more

Very recently my Max( the youngest,he's 2) was diagnosed with FHV- I was livid really and even started at Thead about it so I could vent.Yes it is quite common and many many cats have it and live their entire lives asymptomatic but still they are carriers

The main reason I was so ticked off is because every single cat I have ever introduced into my home are tested for it( rapid test) because I do soecifao request it along with all their other tests,I quarantine,vaccinate and take every precaution I can to prevent my clowder from being exposed- so how did this happen?Who is the carrier?Are the others infected? I thought of the possibility of getting a false negative or did someone not do what I asked?To make a rather long story short I realized the only one I did not bring to my own Vet was Max because I found him outside 2,yrs ago and brought him to my friends shelter to be adopted- she had him nuetered by her Vet and next day I went back to fetch him and keep him myself- so I believe Max is the one

I found out ,like you because Max was to the Vet several times as he kept squinting,antibiotics & then the other eye,antibiotics and again back to tye other eye!Finally my Vet referred me to an Opthamologist ,,-thank God because he could have lost his eyesight.The Conjuctiva resulted in ghost vessels so there was hardly the infection to detect -even with ultra violet

The only change in the house was introducing a new cat & is likely the reason the virus flared up

Do you have other cats ? My Sami & Bella have not gotten it so I make sure to give them their boosters ( helps for upper respiratory resistance) -in any event the important thing is to avoid stress to trigger flare ups...Max went on both anti viral meds and broad spectrum antibiotics ( 2,weeks) and his ghost vessels did disappear and now he just gets twice a day lubricant because something is irritating his eyes- the opthamologist said its a catch 22 ,the flare up could be the culprit or whatever is irritating his eyes!,Go figure- sheesh

Max is easy though,I put him on my lap,on his back and he puts his head back-every cat should be so co-operative and all my cats will lie like that except my Graycie who gets weepy eyed - she loves a particular box though so I hold her head and do it very quickly

I talk too much,forgive my long winded post but the moral of my story is that Morgana will be just fine and will live a long,happy,healthy life with FHV- you can get a rapid test done if you really want to be sure of the diagnosis- both my Vet and the opthamolist Saud most cats they treat for eye infections are FHV positive and you'd never know it - I have them all on Lysine supplimdnt which is excellent support to boost their immune systdm,lesson upper respiratory systems such as weepy eyes,sneezing and congestion ahd I must say I can SEE &,feel a difference in their coats- all of them,super soft and shiny

Don't worry,with a Cat Mama such as yourself Morgan will do very very well❤
It’s been getting so much easier each time I put the drops in - even if my purrito skills have a lot of room for improvement! She’s taking it rather well thank goodness, so hopefully this is the method going forward.

I’m so sorry to hear about Max! But I’m so glad to hear it’s being managed and your other cats haven’t appeared to catch it. Morgana is the only cat in my household, but thinking back that eye has always been particularly weepy - I’m guessing it may have been from the breeder or her mother was a carrier, but Morgana also does go into boarding when I go on holiday so there’s a chance she picked it up from there? It only appears to be impacting her right eye. I don’t know why I’m so upset and in a bit of a flap that she’s got it - researching it it seems manageable. Just being paranoid! It’s comforting to hear stories though about cats that have had it and lived long, happy lives. I’ll just have to monitor what causes her to flare and avoid as much as I can and treat when it does. Eye doesn’t look as bad this morning but still red and sore on the outside sadly.

Never apologise for talking too much, it’s been really helpful having an insight.