Any Advice for Hobo?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furrbabycrazy

I thought things were looking up today. He even pooped for me but after his last feeding I put him back in his comfy box so I could do some housework. Went back to get him for his next feed and he was gone. My husband is burying him for me as I type this. I can't explain how much I hurt, I am crying so hard right now I can hardly see my screen. I am a grown woman and I knew he didn't have much of a shot but for some reason I just KNEW he was gonna make it.

Those of you that do rescue for a living I have always admired you but how do you do it? how do you deal with it when that tiny creature doesn't make it? I know in my heart I gave him everything I had these past few days, I haven't had hardly any sleep. I don't think I have seen my makeup kit or went out except to the vet or grocery. I gave him everything but it wasn't enough and I just don't know how I will deal with this.

Thank you for all the advice and love shown here, we really appreciated it and I know Hobo did too.
I'm so sorry about Hobo. You gave him more love then he ever had in his short life. I know how hard it is.
The only reason I can do it is I know that I gave the babies the love that if they hadnt been with me they would never know. I changed their lives even if it was for a short time. It isnt easy and when you loose a foster it is just as heartbreaking as loosing one of your own pets. Ive lost whole litters that Ive fostered. It's horrible but sometimes all you can do is give them a full belly and make them comfortable. Even if it is only for a day. My baby boy Bagheera was a foster. I fell for him head over heels. He has Feline Herpes, Grade 4 heart murmur and CHF. At this point we are just making him comfortable as long as possible. He's only 5 months old but he is doing good for now. Please consider helping more animals in need. Even if you cant foster. Maybe you could sponsor one or donate your time. Its a very good feeling to know you made an animals life even a little better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrbabycrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't thank you enough for being so understanding and caring about this. I love my hubby dearly but I know he couldn't completely get why I am/was crying so hard. He tried poor thing.."Honey, honey umm your still crying but no sound is coming out..umm baby you want me to call someone or something?". I love the man but emotional displays are not his forte.

I know you guys are right, he could have died alone, the state he was in when I found him wasn't fit for any creature and I know he appreciated it and I know he loved me to. I just wish it would have turned out differently. I am sure if I found another one tommorrow I couldn't leave it there, I just couldn't even after the way I feel right now.

I was just so sure thats all I can think of, the fleas were gone, the mucusy puss out of his eyes and nose had almost stopped completely and he actually pooped I thought we were home free but I guess your right even if it was for a few days at least he was loved and had a name. I will never ever forget him.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww i am so sorry for your loss i have tear's in my eye's just reading it rip little one

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Furbabycrazy and fams:

I wasn't online yesterday and so just now read your news. I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss of little Hobo. He was such a handsome little guy and I, too, was certain he was going to make it, especially with such love and caring and devotion from you. Sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. Why? No one truly knows. I adopted a little girl a few years back that some neighbors found all alone; she seemed to be thriving, and we were SO close. She got her first checkup and kitten innoculations; she was due to go back for the second round of shots on the morning that she passed from this world. I believe it was an adverse reaction to the FIP vaccine, notorious for this, unfortunately. What do you do? My beloved Sunny-a-Cat had had FIP and was an almost-five-year survivor, almost one for the record books; so I have deep personal feelings about this particular disease, and feel like I want to do everything I can to ensure that no one in my care ever has to deal with this dread killer. That's why I had the little girl vaccinated; but this vaccine is known to be like playing Russian roulette. I still deal with the consequences every day -- I miss her and wonder what, if anything, I could have done that would have meant she thrived and grew to adulthood and stayed with us.

Life's never easy. In my experience, it's just one hard time after another, and the few good times in between make the difference, I guess. But you DID give little Hobo love, caring, devotion, good food, and a safe, secure home. That matters. I hope you will never stop doing that for rescued cats and kittens.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always hard to lose a cat, esp one that seemed so fine and went suddenly, but I always like to think about what would have happened to them if I hadnt been able to help, and the answer most of the time is that their future was very uncertain, so however long/short they are here, and however hard it is, I will keep doing it, cos I know I can make a difference to their lives, and that is a good feeling and well worth the emotional and financial strain. As some of the others have said, if you feel up to it, do ring a rescue, even if you end up doing something like fundraising, rescue work isn't just about fostering, if we dont have the funds, we can't help more cats. i also believe in fate, so maybe he came into your life to give you a taster of helping cats. RIP little one.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God, Oh my God, you lost Hobo??????? Oh noooooo.

Oh I am so sorry. He was a beautiful boy. Try to look at it from his standpoint.

I'm all alone, I'm hurt, I'm sick. I don't know what to do.....what's that....hands?.....picked me up.....WATER!!!!!!!....mmmmmm....cleaner.....soft towels......mmmmmm.....drier......mmmmmm......FOOD!!!!!!....MMMMMMMMM.....soft place to stay......someone's petting me........mmmmmmm......feels so good........I think I will go to sleep now, but whoever this is, I sure love them. Thank you for making my last hours a pleasure. Hobo.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am terribly sorry about Hobo...but I agree with others who have stated that at least he died being loved. There are so many cats that die alone...or in a shelter. As for the grief, I know that when I lost one of my foster kittens, it hurt my heart for a long time.....but I continue to rescue because I know that I am making a difference in these cats lifes.

Katie