Any Advice About Generic Capstar?

watcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two very flea-infested kittens in the yard. I bought a generic version of Capstar at Walmart and was planning to give it to them just as a way to try and cut down on the amount of fleas quickly before the kittens weaken too much. I bought it because they said I could give it to kittens 4 weeks or older. The orange kitten is precisely 7 weeks old, and the white one is a couple days over six weeks old. But I have no idea if they weigh 2 pounds or more. I have no scale. I researched a lot and everybody disagrees about whether or not you can split a pill in half, which is what I was thinking about trying. Partly because I'm terrified of the horrific side effects I've read about, but also because they might be slightly under 2 pounds. I think they're both slightly under 2 pounds. I read that at 4 weeks they should be about 1 pound, 8 weeks about 2 pounds, and so forth so that confirms to me that they're probably under 2 pounds. I'm worried that they're going to spiral quickly if I don't do something fast and I might not have the time to wait until they've gained extra weight. In fact, I fear very quickly that they'll begin to lose weight rapidly with such an infestation. Does anyone here have any insight they'd be willing to share? I'd appreciate it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring them inside? Can you give them a flea bath with dawn dish soap and comb them with a flea comb?

This won’t get better for them outside, especially since they are so young.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why splitting in half increases risks of sideeffects?

As I understand Capstar is fairly safe and efficient. But you must follow up with something else to get more longterm results.

Give them half and take them in. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry about not replying quicker, I don't always have access to the internet. Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, where I live now I can't bring them in but I do hope to change my living arrangements and be able to bring them indoors. I am not good at giving kittens baths. I have tried and I seem to traumatize them, sometimes they choke on the water and they manage to dart away from me afterward and hide, making me unable to dry them off or comb them, and it makes it harder to do any help for them later. And after all that I usually only get a couple fleas. I was very pleased with my flea comb because it always worked wonders for me, and not only trapped fleas in it but also flea dirt. But every time I try to comb these fleas off them, the comb just doesn't work. The fleas either just run away (like to the inside of their back legs where I can't comb) or just stay where they are. I'm beyond frustrated since I've never had that happen. I realize that the drug in Capstar is not a long-term solution but I'm scared that there are SO many fleas on them feeding off them now, it's not going to take long for them to start to decline. I guess I was so upset last night when I saw ALL those fleas on their little bellies, that I wasn't very clear in my post. I know most people on here are far more knowledgeable about this drug and about administering it to kittens than I am, so I was hoping somebody could give me their opinion. I'm concerned that the kittens are under 2lbs. and the directions say not to give it to kittens under 2lbs. I have read online some people say that they give kittens under 2lbs. a full tablet anyway and I have read some people give "small" kittens half a tablet. So I guess my rambling question is, would is be safe to give kittens who might be between 1 and 2 pounds a full tablet or maybe half a tablet? I think of all the risks involved with bathing them, them choking on the water, them running away from me, me not being able to find them again, them maybe running into the busy road I live on and just the trauma it seems to cause, and then I think that's partly why I bought the Capstar, so that if they got horribly infested I could easily help them without all that trauma and risk, and buy me time to try other more long-term solutions. If people think it isn't safe, I will try the bath thing again and hope I do better and that it works because I must do something. Oh, and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I wasn't sure which one to post it in.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located?

I’m so sorry to say this, but it sounds like you might want to consider surrendering these kittens to a rescue. They are far too young to be outside, especially next to a busy road. They will also need to be spayed, neutered, dewormed, and vaccinated in the near future.

Maybe we can help you find a foster or a rescue network?

I know you are doing the best you can for them, and must love them very much. I am just concerned that this will end in tragedy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have contacted the only rescue anywhere nearby, miles away, they said I was not in their charter. I asked if they knew anybody in my area, they said no. The problem is neighbors who let their cats out, they have kittens in our yard. They still are being tended to by their mothers. We are not right on the road, somewhat back. I'm only concerned about them darting out in a panic. Thank you for being nice, I appreciate it. I've even tried contacting pet stores in the neighboring towns and was told no, they don't help with ferals. Our local animal control kills all ferals or cats that need to be given any medicine or are going to cost them extra money. And they said they're full still from 4th of July with everybody's pets getting lost during the fireworks. One of the neighboring towns has a small ASPCA, but they don't help ferals either, they only do low-cost vet care and adoptions for healthy, tame animals. I was just hoping I could help them with their fleas since the situation seems so dire.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How feral are these kittens? It sounds like they might just be strays.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Again, begin with giving them half pf the pill and see if its enough.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, give them each half a pill to start.

You can also apply Advantage II on the backs of their necks. This will help too.

Are the kittens being fed well?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Capstar has a very wide margin of effectiveness. If you can split a pill in quarters that would work. I know the pills are tiny and it's hard to split them, so try crushing them and putting 1/4 of the powder in each kitten's food portion. 1/2 should be fine, too, but with 1/4 you can stretch your supply even farther ;)

If the kittens are friendly, they're stray, not feral. That makes a lot of difference when decribing them to shelters/rescues. Stray kittens can be fixed up and adopted out quickly. Ferals can usually only go to farm homes and not every shelter has a farmcat program. So changing the word you use to describe them may make all the difference.