Anxious

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did anyone else get depressed while looking for your cat to be? There are so many in shelters, fats, etc that it gets me down I can only can save one...

And the onus of chosing the right one is not helping either....

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
When I found Brian he was in the first shelter I went to.  Our eyes locked over the courtyard, it was mutual love at first sight
   I was truly blessed to find him, and ever so lucky that he was waiting for me in the very first place I looked.  I was anxious before starting my search though that I would be overwhelmed with cats I wanted to rescue, knowing that I could only take one.  It's just as well my instant love for Brian blinded me to the others, who I wished found their furever homes just as easily 

I had a very hard time finding Dudley though, as I was living in the countryside and wasn't in a catchment area near enough to a shelter for me to get to without transport.  I applied for dozens online but was pipped at the post every time.  I became really depressed and upset, and was desperate to find a new friend, as Brian had been tragically killed, leaving me fur-less.  In the end, I had to travel a long way and stay overnight in a hotel but he's worth it 

I'll be on the hunt for a friend for Dudley and me in a few months, after I've moved.  I'm already feeling anxious about the prospect of having to walk passed loads of would-be pals in shelter pens.  I'm moving back to the city area where Brian came from though, and hope that he will help me in my search.

I wish you all the best in finding Mr or Mrs Purrfect 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Know that adopting one and giving that one a wonderful, loving forever home IS making a difference.

As far as finding the "perfect" one. My suggestion is to try not to have any pre-conceived notions of what you want in a cat and just be present and listen to your gut when meeting the cats. When I adopted my girl, I only wanted two things: an adult cat and barring any major medical issues, I wanted to give a home to a cat that had been there the longest (this was probably the most important thing to me). I met several cats of varying personalities and then spied a little brown tabby through the window. I'll be honest, when I met her I did not have one of those soulmate moments but within minutes this little one had me laughing at her antics. It then struck me that what I needed the most was laughter and my gut just knew this little tabby was going to bring that to my life. After the shelter started the paperwork, I asked the shelter worker how long she had been at the shelter. Turns out that Kitty had been there only three days but she had been transferred from a small shelter in another state. She had been at that shelter for six months...turns out that out of all the cats in the shelter, Kitty had been in a shelter environment that longest out of all the cats!! I tell you all this because I firmly believe that the right cat will find you if you open your heart and mind.

Best of luck and please be sure to introduce us to your new baby when he/she is home [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to catproof my apartment and will be buying the needed items this week.

I already have a carrier, from my last cat (new, she only used it a couple of times) and I'll receive one bed and one scratcher from amazon. I'll need everything in doubles, as I have two homes.

We scheduled a visit to the shelter next Saturday. Can't go earlier, I'm afraid I'll fall in love and cannot bring the kitty before the weekend. So we need to wait a week.

It's going to be a long week.

This is our preferred candidate, but we'll need to meet him first.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a terrible time adopting a cat from the pet store. I will never do it again. Just give me somebody's stray. :lol3:

I hope you find the one who will make you happy. This black one certainly is a beautiful cat.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my story is this.

My childhood cat died on the 8th and my house just didn't feel right. So I looked online to find a cat. I found a rescue the same week and went to meet her Thursday of the same week. I was a bit nervous because this was my first kitten. Her name is Indy (Indiana Jones) her picture is my icon here.

Maybe I am a bit overprotective of her. My mom says I have "first born child syndrome"

Last edited:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
@IndyJones  she's such a beautiful colour, and I feel she is soft of heart too, I would feel protective of such a lovely kitten.  Well done on finding each other so quickly 
 But if her namesake is anything to go by, she's born to finding treasure