Antibiotics making cat stool soft

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's weird, last time she took antibiotics I never had this problem. Could it be her age. She's 17 and still a healthy cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be any number of things - different antibiotics, her age, and/or something else is coincidentally going on.

Feeby (19+ yo, with many health issues) took Veraflox about a year ago with no issue. So, in my mind, it can be a crapshoot.

makomama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Talk to your vet about meloxicam. It helps to firm up stool and can be safely given while on antibiotics. I am a vet tech and recently my own cat went through the same thing.
Continue to make sure your cat is drinking enough water as well s8nce soft stool will dehydrate faster.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi makomama makomama (and welcome to the forum!)

Talk to your vet about meloxicam. It helps to firm up stool.....
Meloxicam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication that's used to prevent/control/eliminate pain in small animals, including cats. I'm not aware of any of is indications, nor even its side effects that might affect intestinal hydration.

Perhaps it was something else you meant to suggest..........

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am guessing that the suggestion might have been to use metronidazole for the diarrhea, but I could be wrong. A known side effect of meloxicam is diarrhea.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly my vet is out of state. Hopefully maybe the other vet will help. I tried probiotics probably 3 different ones. She made a lesson my carpet so I'm going to need carpet cleaner

Talk to your vet about meloxicam. It helps to firm up stool and can be safely given while on antibiotics. I am a vet tech and recently my own cat went through the same thing.
Continue to make sure your cat is drinking enough water as well s8nce soft stool will dehydrate faster.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I need to reinforce that meloxicam is not for this problem. It is an anti-inflammatory and can be contra-indicated for renal issues.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long should I use this for??? I'm seeing improvements now
Good that you are getting results! Some folks use it ongoingly. If you'd prefer not to, probably best to keep giving it maybe for a week or two until the antibiotics are completely out of your cat's system. Then, you can stop it and see what happens. If the stools become soft again, you can restart it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give the S. Boulardii as long as your cat tolerates it or for at least a month or two after stopping the antibiotics. Antibiotics can really do a number on a cat's gut. Some beneficial bacteria is killed off and some bad actors are spared. Continuing to use the s. boulardii will help attract the bad actors (like a decoy gut) and flush them out while also nourishing some of the beneficial bacteria. S. boulardii is generally very well tolerated by most cats and can be given on an ongoing basis for as long as she needs it. But again, if she takes it easily enough, I would keep giving it for a minimum of a month and preferably longer to help balance out the imbalances that the antibiotics created.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does these probiotics help upset tummy? My cat will only eat treats. I don't know what to feed her. The side effects of the antibiotics is loss of appetite 😭😭 can cats survive on cat treats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she done with the antibiotics? They can linger in terms of digestive upset for a while after being finished. She can live off of treats for a fair amount of time, but you need to find something - anything - that she will eat otherwise.

S. boulardii can help somewhat with tummy upset, due to helping adjust the gut bacteria. But it was advised to you to give it to her due to the soft stools.

I didn't realize she was also having an issue with eating. That is really a separate matter from soft stools when it comes to antibiotics. If you have to you could look into anti-nausea meds as well as an appetite simulant just to get her past the antibiotic effects, if you can't find other means to get her to eat.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I been feeding her treats to get her to eat. Sometimes she'll eat her can food. As long as she is eating something

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly my cat got soft stools again on Sunday. I got pro pectalin yesterday. Those antibiotics were still bleh. She's on day 2 on it. Can a cat even recover from antibiotics or did this permanently mess her up 😭
This is messing up my carpet and it's so frustrating.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Antibiotics will not stay in a cat's system forever. I can't remember what all has been suggested, but it could take as much as a couple of weeks, or even longer, to re-balance the gut - after the antibiotics are completed. Did you try s. boulardii? If so, did it help, and how long did you give it to her before you stopped? Don't forget her unusual diet didn't help matters any.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave her that probiotic everyday. It worked for a day. Her diet hasn't changed. She did stopped eating for a day and put her in appetite stimulant. I noticed more mushy stool since then. It's mushy not liquid at least.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat will only eat treats... Yeah I been feeding her treats to get her to eat. Sometimes she'll eat her can food... As long as she is eating something
Oh, I am sorry, from your previous comments, I thought her diet consisted of a lot of treats recently.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I gave her that probiotic everyday. It worked for a day. Her diet hasn't changed. She did stopped eating for a day and put her in appetite stimulant. I noticed more mushy stool since then. It's mushy not liquid at least.
Probiotics take time to work. I think it took a couple months for the Probiotics to slowly bud in Ghost's system. They aren't an instant fix.