Antibiotic eye drops

murrayvk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soooo, my little goober Murray did something to his eye the other night.  All I know is that he was fine when I came home, but several hours later he was constantly closing his right eye, like a slow blink.  In looking at it, I noticed it was somewhat cloudy and his third eyelid was appearing slightly more than normal.  So I Googled.  Not the best idea for you OR your pets, lol.

Anywho, I decided to wait and see if it was still the same the next day.  It was, so I burrito-ed him up and got him in his carrier and to the vet we went.  The vet determined that there was nothing on his cornea, and he couldn't find anything stuck in his eye, so phew!  He thinks Murray may have scratched himself or got dust or something in his eye.  He still sent me home with antibiotic eye drops just in case, to make sure nothing did get infected.

I'm supposed to do them 3 times a day, one drop each time in the eye.  Because of how my work schedule is, I can only do 2 a day :/  And most of the time I'm not sure the full drop is going into his eye, since I live by myself and trying to immobilize a squirmy kitten, while getting his eyelid pried open, is a challenge.  

Is it bad that I'm only doing it twice a day (once before work, once after), and that I'm not entirely sure the whole drop is getting in?  With the challenge of immobilizing him, it's hard to keep the lid open while he's squirming and trying to close his eye when I do the drops.  I know it'll hit his eye right as he's attempting to close it, hence the uncertainty of how much is actually getting in.  And the drops are for prevention really, not treatment.

The good news is that he's no longer doing the blinking thing, and his eye is definitely more clear.  It's still slightly cloudy and that pupil is a little more dilated than the other, but overall, looking much better.

Also, side note, has anyone used L-lysine for eye issues?  I got some (only $5, so not a waste if I don't use it) and I'm contemplating mixing that in with his wet food to see if that'll supplement the drops.

Ay, sorry, that was kind of long and repetitive!

Here's some bonus Murray pics :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such a darling little kitten!!! Murray is really handsome. :love:

I usually prefer drops over ointment. So much easier to get in the eye, quickly. If you can only do twice, then that is/should be fine, but check with your vet. IF you are already seeing improvement, then the twice daily is working. :nod: I have one cat who needs constant eye drops due a herpetic eye issue. It can be tricky trying to hold open the eyelid and at the same time getting one drop in. I usually pull up the upper lid - it is easier for me that way. After so many "years" of this, she is now SO good for her drops or medications. There is something called a cat restraint bag so giving eye meds, etc. is a bit easier and successful. I have never used one but just wanted to show you what I am talking about.

I use Now Lysine: The powder is real simple to mix into wet food and has not taste to cat's! I feed my Herpes kitty 500 mg. twice daily if I can get her to eat that particular canned food. :rolleyes: 250 mg. would be 1/8 tsp. 500 mg. would be 1/4 tsp. Check with your vet too on using Lysine. Most vet's do like to suggest adding in Lysine to cat's who are having some URI issues.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: for Murray to feel better very soon!

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I agree with @Feralvr   - it's probably ok but it's something you need to check with your vet. Also, keep in mind next time to ask while there because sometimes they can replace it with another type of antibiotic that needs to be administered less frequently.

It doesn't sound to me like something that's related to a viral infection, like herpes. Lysine isn't harmful in the usual dosage most people use, so I don't think there's any huge harm in using it. I for myself am more of a skeptic about using it, even for treating/preventing herpes. I had a herpes kitty and I didn't see any correlation between giving lysine and the state of his herpes. It could be different for others, of course. I did have an interesting talk with a friend the other day about this. He's a virologist working on herpes simplex, which is not unlike feline herpes. He said he doesn't see how supplementing with any amino acid could help, seeing as how the virus gets all the nutrients it needs from the cell, and cells have enough arginine in them anyway. The levels don't go down as we supplement with lysine (not inside existing cells).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murrayvk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys :)  Yeah, he is herpes free, so I'm happy about that.  His eye has totally cleared up as of now, but I'll give him the drops through tomorrow, since I'm taking him back to the vet on Tuesday for his followup.  I have yet to give him his night drop, but he's in play and biting mode right now, so I'll wait till he's chill and laying down, lol.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear that Murray is doing better!!! Super !!! :clap::clap: Hopefully the follow-up visit will confirm a complete recovery! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murrayvk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Murray got a clean bill of health the other day!  Eye is back to 100%