Antibacterial soap. Kitten jumped in toilet

mollycat92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So today I woke up to a crying kitten and panicked roommate. The 11 week old kitten had jumped into the toilet which still had pee in it. I get a bath going and the only soap we had was antibacterial dial soap bar. I use a very small amount on him just to clean him off. I'm more wondering if he going to be ok after using that soap. Should have just cleaned him off with water?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water would have been better, as long as you rinsed well he should be OK, just watch him and make sure he doesn't start drooling from licking the soap. Even dish soap might have worked better, it's meant to be used on eating products so should be safer. I would say if he's fine in a couple of hours, he'll be fine. You might want to keep some wipes or cat shampoo around for any problems such as this. And you know kittens! All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mollycat92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll remember dish soap for next time if need be. Pay day tomorrow so we're looking into cat wipes and shampoo. Hopefully this won't happen again. Just he still smells like the antibacterial soap

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember, they use Dawn dish soap to clean sea birds who've been injured by an oil slick. This is because it's both safe and effective.

You originally posted almost 3&1/2 hours ago. How is he now?

Margret

Last edited:

mollycat92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sebastian all fine he playing with his toy mouse. He no longer smells of the soap or pee. Just smells like a normal cat again. We didn't have dawn we just had something that cleans the sink and dishes. Still we can switch to dawn for back up. It's cheaper and works for our budget

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very glad to hear it.

It's hard to predict, but let's hope he's learned something important about toilets.

When he gets bigger, expect him to be fascinated by flushing. :lol3:

Margret

mollycat92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well roommate mother gave us an extra bottle she had. So far he avoids the toilet for now lol

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please also remember that cats and birds and humans are physiologically different.  Cats are one very unique species who (unlike dogs and humans - I don't know about birds) cannot process and remove some chemicals from their bodies.  Which means these chemicals build up...until a toxic dose is reached and then you will see them get sick (or die).  

Soap is one of the problematic things.  What is safe for humans, or for dogs, (or maybe for birds - like I said, don't know about birds), is not safe for cats. Unfortunately, these chemicals are not just absorbed into the body by licking/eating - but also through the skin, and lungs via breathing.  For this reason, water for washing is the absolute safest.  Cat shampoo may  be safe (some arent due to including essential oils, and some add on 'cats' after labelling for dogs - clear warning sign).  I have read never to use human soaps or shampoos, even ones meant for babies.

I have been told on this forum that Dawn is safe because it is used in rescue situations.  That doesnt mean it is safe - it just means that potential exposure to potential toxins has not reached the load that shows in illness (or death).  It can take years for the load to be reached.  There is no research currently on loads (and cats).  Of course, it could also be said from such a situation as a cat rescue, that the minimal human bathing they recieve over their lives (usually in response to dire straits!) is well within a 'safe' load.  So in response to your current situation, looks like this dose is ok!  I would try for some cat shampoo in prep for future accidents, but primarily, try to prevent...I had to learn to close the toilet lid!!  (Even then one of my kittens jumped in, in the space between butt uplift and lid closure-eerrrk!)

On the poison and cat front, I also advise everyone I know to look at their house cleaning products.  While toilet diving accidents are usually few, contact with your cleaning products is daily.  So any toxin load is going to get to a high (fatal?) load!  As you are on a budget, the great news here is that cat friendly, and very effective cleaning, is SUPER CHEAP!!  I have a couple spray bottles that I fill with vinegar and water.  I use a 50/50 mix, which is strong.  It would be fine on a 1/3 vinegar portion to 2/3 water.  Vinegar is naturally antibacterial (nice!).  It is safe for both humans and cats (win!).  And here in Australia, it is about $1.20 for 2L (awesome!).  I use it everywhere, including a dollop into water in a bucket to mop the floors.  The only place I use a commercial cleaner is IN the toilet bowl (bleach).  In bathrooms, for  tough stains/extra power, like mould, or for sink drains that have discoloured, or even to clean the oven, sprinkle in bicarb soda, and then use straight vinegar.  Nice chemical reaction takes place with much fizzing (obviously dont allow contact with the mix at this stage!), and then you can also scrub if you need it.  And rinse well after.  Bicarb soda is also incredibly cheap.  Your wallet will do well, and everyBODY will benefit.

Best wishes! Enjoy your kitten :)

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Please also remember that cats and birds and humans are physiologically different.  Cats are one very unique species who (unlike dogs and humans - I don't know about birds) cannot process and remove some chemicals from their bodies.  Which means these chemicals build up...until a toxic dose is reached and then you will see them get sick (or die).  

Soap is one of the problematic things.  What is safe for humans, or for dogs, (or maybe for birds - like I said, don't know about birds), is not safe for cats. Unfortunately, these chemicals are not just absorbed into the body by licking/eating - but also through the skin, and lungs via breathing.  For this reason, water for washing is the absolute safest.  Cat shampoo may  be safe (some arent due to including essential oils, and some add on 'cats' after labelling for dogs - clear warning sign).  I have read never to use human soaps or shampoos, even ones meant for babies.

I have been told on this forum that Dawn is safe because it is used in rescue situations.  That doesnt mean it is safe - it just means that potential exposure to potential toxins has not reached the load that shows in illness (or death).  It can take years for the load to be reached.  There is no research currently on loads (and cats).  Of course, it could also be said from such a situation as a cat rescue, that the minimal human bathing they recieve over their lives (usually in response to dire straits!) is well within a 'safe' load.  So in response to your current situation, looks like this dose is ok!  I would try for some cat shampoo in prep for future accidents, but primarily, try to prevent...I had to learn to close the toilet lid!!  (Even then one of my kittens jumped in, in the space between butt uplift and lid closure-eerrrk!)

On the poison and cat front, I also advise everyone I know to look at their house cleaning products.  While toilet diving accidents are usually few, contact with your cleaning products is daily.  So any toxin load is going to get to a high (fatal?) load!  As you are on a budget, the great news here is that cat friendly, and very effective cleaning, is SUPER CHEAP!!  I have a couple spray bottles that I fill with vinegar and water.  I use a 50/50 mix, which is strong.  It would be fine on a 1/3 vinegar portion to 2/3 water.  Vinegar is naturally antibacterial (nice!).  It is safe for both humans and cats (win!).  And here in Australia, it is about $1.20 for 2L (awesome!).  I use it everywhere, including a dollop into water in a bucket to mop the floors.  The only place I use a commercial cleaner is IN the toilet bowl (bleach).  In bathrooms, for  tough stains/extra power, like mould, or for sink drains that have discoloured, or even to clean the oven, sprinkle in bicarb soda, and then use straight vinegar.  Nice chemical reaction takes place with much fizzing (obviously dont allow contact with the mix at this stage!), and then you can also scrub if you need it.  And rinse well after.  Bicarb soda is also incredibly cheap.  Your wallet will do well, and everyBODY will benefit.

Best wishes! Enjoy your kitten :)
Some human shampoos and body washes are far worse and many so called cat shampoo brands are not much better.  A bit of well diluted blue dawn original is a fairly safe go to. a light emulsion to lift any um errr potty residue with a good rinse is unlikely to cause a reaction.

And you are correct. Cats are unlike any creature on earth in their reaction to things that don't bother any other species. I have issues putting frontline on my cats a few times during the year. 

We use a warm rough washcloth on our cats about once a week with water only to remove excess hair and dander.

We all need to consider the chemicals we bring in and how they can have a cumulative effect on not only our pets but ourselves.

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today I woke up to a crying kitten and panicked roommate. The 11 week old kitten had jumped into the toilet which still had pee in it. I get a bath going and the only soap we had was antibacterial dial soap bar. I use a very small amount on him just to clean him off. I'm more wondering if he going to be ok after using that soap. Should have just cleaned him off with water?
Man, mine did that at about the same age. He leaped gracefully into the bowl (thinking the lid was down, I guess) after I stood up, but before I had a chance to flush. But in my case, #2 was also involved... Once I got hold of him and got him to calm down, I used a little Dawn dish soap. He still stank of poo the next day, though, so I tried some of those cat-friendly grooming wipes to finish de-stinking him.

He's still a bit nervous around the toilet, though, like he's worried that it'll try to eat him again.

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tammyp? If you can get Apple cider vinegar I'd use it over distilled vinegar. Key word there? Distilled. ACV has a thousand and one health properties. I dilute it in the dropper for Annabel and her problem kidneys aren't so much of one for her. Ifya got time to look on the internet lots of cat parents have different stories of how well it works for them. As for Dawn? I use Ajax on my dishes or whatever is cheapest. They all have the same ingredients and I don't know what's down there but check and see. I appreciate your reminder about toxic bld up. People need to know. I have little problem with that when it comes to chemicals but we have a problem with soy. There's an internet site that swears all cats can have soy. Clearly not the case because we're dealing with the after affects of too much w/out benefit of a vet. She's pretty much stable til I can get her to one but that proves that people don't always know what they're talking about. I can tell which sites are real vets and which are phony. Jumping in the toilet is a new one on me but she does like to watch it flush. Sometimes.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starbuck jumped into the toilet in the middle of the night while my hubby was using it.  Nothing like getting woken up by my hubby yelling at me to get the something to wash pee out of the kitten at around 3am. I did have some Dawn dish soap in the house so we used that.  Thankfully my 6 week old kitten seemed to understand she needed a bath and cooperated.  We dried her off and then put her in bed with us under the blankets. She had not been introduced to my seniors yet so I had to kick them out of my bedroom and move the kitten's literbox and food into our room for the night.  The seniors kept us up most of the night complaining.  I think it was less than a week later that they finally met officially.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll bear in mind the ACV siamiam2!  As I use it for household cleaning, not a food supplement, the cost of ACV for quantity I use probably isnt going to work, but good to know it could also be used...with extra benefits!

Yeah, re the soy, I read somewhere that it is pretty evil for all living creatures.  They tried to create a food out of soy because they had so much of it - to use on livestock - but the livestock all died after eating it, so then they tried it in the human market (cause that makes sense!).  I have heard from mutlitple varied sources over the years that it is not healthy for humans, so even if the first story is an urban myth, I try to minimise and read ingredient labels carefully.  But gee, it's in everything these days - even chocolate!!  For a cat, I would class soy in the general category of plant stuffs - not suitable for an obligate carnivore.  It's put into cat food because it is cheaper than meat, so it makes the companies more profit.  I'm not surprised (for all reasons) that it makes cats sick.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll remember dish soap for next time if need be. Pay day tomorrow so we're looking into cat wipes and shampoo. Hopefully this won't happen again. Just he still smells like the antibacterial soap

I keep Pet Guard natural pet shampoo around. It's for general bathing and smells good.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, re the soy, I read somewhere that it is pretty evil for all living creatures.  They tried to create a food out of soy because they had so much of it - to use on livestock - but the livestock all died after eating it, so then they tried it in the human market (cause that makes sense!).  I have heard from mutlitple varied sources over the years that it is not healthy for humans, so even if the first story is an urban myth, I try to minimise and read ingredient labels carefully.  But gee, it's in everything these days - even chocolate!!  For a cat, I would class soy in the general category of plant stuffs - not suitable for an obligate carnivore.  It's put into cat food because it is cheaper than meat, so it makes the companies more profit.  I'm not surprised (for all reasons) that it makes cats sick.
This is something that I actually know a bit about, having grown up Seventh-day Adventist. You can find a lot of information (from a pro-soy perspective) here: http://www.soyinfocenter.com/HSS/history.php

The soy you're seeing in chocolate is probably lecithin, which is used to keep the oils from separating from other liquids; it can be made from most any vegetable oil, but soy oil is the most common source of it.

Soy sauce has obviously been around just about forever.

One major problem with soy for human use is that it's extremely high in plant estrogens, which is a problem for some people, including me.

If you go to Burger King and order a vege-burger, the burger itself will probably be made with soy (and quite a lot of spices).

Soy milk has been used as a milk substitute for people who are allergic to real milk. And soy has increasingly become a common allergen itself.

And, no, soy is not good for cats, especially if you're trying to use "soy-meat" as a substitute for real meat. It is just as insane to attempt to make a cat a vegetarian as it was to include beef in the diet of cows, which largely led to the spreading of mad cow disease.

Margret

alysondunn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby soap, like Johnson and Johnson works well too.

Alyson

Last edited by a moderator: