Anti-virus Protection

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What are you using for internet/anti-virus protection for your computer?

I've been using Kaspersky for years now. AFAIC, it's still the best thing on the market. But since all the hoopla over Kaspersky being Russian and all that, the latest thing is not to use it.

My GF also uses Kaspersky (largely because I'm her computer guru and that's what I use); her license will be up in a couple weeks. She wants me to come in tomorrow night and either renew her license or get a new version. I went to Staples, only to be told that they will no longer carry Kaspersky because of the so-called Russian hacking thing.

So now, what the heck do I use? I refuse to use Norton; the thing is nothing more than a bloated hog that slowed my computer down to even below a crawl. Yet, Staples is all over Norton: Oh, it's the best thing on the market! It's wonderful! No, I'm not going there. Best Buy is no longer carrying it.

So what are you using for protection? To be honest, I'm seriously considering staying with Kaspersky because I really like it. My license is up in about two months, so I have time for me. My GF's license expires in about two weeks. I need to make a decision for her soon. (And she trusts me. I don't want to mess her up.)

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Gah! I'm terrible about this stuff. Right now I have Avast and CCleaner.

My geeky gamer friends can't seem to agree on anything except that they all hate Norton and McAfee.
Some have mentioned
  • Bitdefender,
  • Webroot (one quote; "Webroot is kind of like an outdoor cat. You mostly forget you have one until the day it leaves a dead animal on your doorstep as a quiet and present reminder that it's still doing its job out in the yard."),
  • Avast,
  • and of course Kapersky (as one guy said, "Not saying that I HONESTLY think Kaspersky would cut their own balls off like that. But it IS something to consider.").
Now, these are folks that are somewhat computer savvy (and some are willing/able to fiddle with details) because lord forbid anything should hang up the performance of their systems when they are in the middle of a serious monster-bash/bug hunt/space war/insert-your-favorite-FPS session!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Kaspersky. I have bought all of my computers from Best Buy and have whatever they put on it. If they no longer deal with Kaspersky I guess I will have to figure out something else, I get the notices and do the renewal through their system. The laptop I had before this had Webroot on it. My first computer had Norton. That was many years ago so don't know what it is like now but I didn't like it. It would go into it's scan thing and take forever with it. That was also the one time that I got a virus. I am not at all tech savvy so that involved taking it in to get that darn virus cleaned off of it, that was a desktop so it wasn't easy to take in like a laptop would be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I'm going to stick with Kaspersky. I had Norton and despised it; my computer slowed down to a crawl when it was scanning and Norton let stuff come through that shouldn't have come through. I don't trust it at all.

Thanks guys!

Amazon still carries Kaspersky.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have AVG. It came with my (ancient) computer. I've never had any problems with it other than the occasional random pop up boxes with various messages such as "Upgrade now" or "Your computer is at risk for XYZ. Click here to run a scan".

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Spybot, Malwarebytes, AVG and CCleaner. All are the free versions, so I have to remember to run them daily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I decided to stay with Kaspersky. Thanks for your opinions!