Anti-Flea spray with peppermint oil & clove! Ahh!

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody-unfortunately I'm here because of something I wish I had researched before. My home & animals have fleas, and a family member bought "Natural Care + Flea and Tick Spray," which markets itself as a natural spray that can be used on animals and furniture alike. I sprayed it for four days on the drapes, couches, and cat tree. Probably used 3/4 of the bottle. Then I realized I should probably look into it more, and found that both peppermint oil and clove are extrememly toxic for cats! I didn't use it on them directly, but did use it in rooms they were in at the same time. I feel awful, called a few vets to get their opinions on if they should be brought in or not, and aired out/cleaned the house today. The animals haven't reacted (yet) but I'm keeping an eye out for any unusual signs as I've read accounts of cats dying a few days later :-(

Sorry this is long-I'm feeling frazzled and I can't believe I didn't do my research before using the product! Has anyone been in a similar situation with a flea peppermint spray, and would you recommend just going to the vet despite your cats not showing symptoms? Should I give them a Dawn bath?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just watch them for the next few days, and be prepared to make a vet run at any time. If they are symptom-free in 5 days, you don't have a problem. Almost everyone here has done SOMETHING inadvisable thinking we were doing the right thing. Take a deep breath. You are NOT a horrible cat parent, and fleas can make fools of the most rational of us!.

You can certainly give them a Dawn bath. The only thing likely to get hurt by that is you. I don't know that it would help tremendously, but I do know that it would ease your mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help! And being understanding on how taking care of fleas is a totally different state of mind-I'm definitely gonna keep a close eye on them and will hopefully have a calmer week ahead! I let a few of my cat parent friends know about my experience with this product and at the very least hopefully they'll learn from my situation!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's the best thing! And yes, pass that knowledge on! And you are most very welcome! I had my own battle with fleas not that long ago, AAAARGGGGGGGGGGGG....it's FLEAS!!!!!!!. As you can see, I was a little overwrought! What is it about fleas that sends us into a tizzy...other than our babies and ourselves being eaten alive, that is!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW...the Precor 2000 works a treat. Put the cats in one room, do the rest of the house, LEAVE THEM THERE FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS, then let them out, do THAT room, and close IT off for 4 hours.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I also used Precor 2000. It appeared to be more effective than some of the other premise sprays I had previously used. I used the aerosol version which didn't take as long to dry, but I might go with the concentrate that you add water to in a sprayer because there was a bit of 'back-spray' with the aerosol.

I treat Feeby with Advantage II, which I believe to be one of the least harmful topical treatments, but in my area it also does not appear to be 100% effective - hence why we are still battling fleas to this day (for about a year to be exact). The fleas are minimal, but they are still "with us" nonetheless. I also vacuum the house 2-3 times a week to pick up flea eggs that might have dropped off Feeby to help reduce the number that mature into fleas. I spray a paper towel with Adams Home Spray (you could use Precor as well), let it partially dry and then insert it into a vacuum bag before I start. I throw out the bag after completing each round of vacuuming.

I found this web site (see link below) very helpful in understanding how fleas develop and what some of the options are for treating the cat, the home, and the yard (if you live in a house).
FleaScience

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have a bagless vacuum, saturate a thin strip of cloth with the spray, and tie that around the circular filter. It keeps fleas from hopping back out of the vacuum, and the little beggars are perfectly capable of doing so!

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I also used Precor 2000. It appeared to be more effective than some of the other premise sprays I had previously used. I used the aerosol version which didn't take as long to dry, but I might go with the concentrate that you add water to in a sprayer because there was a bit of 'back-spray' with the aerosol.

I treat Feeby with Advantage II, which I believe to be one of the least harmful topical treatments, but in my area it also does not appear to be 100% effective - hence why we are still battling fleas to this day (for about a year to be exact). The fleas are minimal, but they are still "with us" nonetheless. I also vacuum the house 2-3 times a week to pick up flea eggs that might have dropped off Feeby to help reduce the number that mature into fleas. I spray a paper towel with Adams Home Spray (you could use Precor as well), let it partially dry and then insert it into a vacuum bag before I start. I throw out the bag after completing each round of vacuuming.

I found this web site (see link below) very helpful in understanding how fleas develop and what some of the options are for treating the cat, the home, and the yard (if you live in a house).
FleaScience
Sorry the fleas are still with you-they do their job so well unfortunately! Thanks for mentioning Precor 2000, I haven't heard of it but I'm definitely looking for something effective cause I'm not sure how bad the infestation is at the moment. I'll definitely check that site out as I'm currently in a house with a yard that I'm guessing has to be the source! Thanks again!

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have a bagless vacuum, saturate a thin strip of cloth with the spray, and tie that around the circular filter. It keeps fleas from hopping back out of the vacuum, and the little beggars are perfectly capable of doing so!
Thanks for all your help-this flea situation is new territory for me and they're so good at what they do! i do have a bagless vacuum and I've been using it daily but I'll add the sprayed cloth to it. I looked through your thread and I'll definitely look into Borax/diatomaceous earth/Precor! Seems that fleas need to be tackled from every angle. I'm glad your kitty is doing ok now!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Much better, although we had a small outbreak this year due to the extended summer weather. She has one healing hot spot left, and I have to order more Precor 2000! It is, BTW, available on Amazon. You may find it cheaper elsewhere.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Be very cautious with the diatomaceous earth a little goes a long way and it creates a lot of dust which is hazardous to you and your pets. Plus when you go to vacuum it up you will have a dust storm.

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Be very cautious with the diatomaceous earth a little goes a long way and it creates a lot of dust which is hazardous to you and your pets. Plus when you go to vacuum it up you will have a dust storm.
Ohh thanks for letting me know! I haven't seen too much about it so I'll be prepared if I need to go that route 🙏