Anti Chew Spray

smilexcindy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little girl kitten is the most adorable little thing... when she's asleep. Since she is just 9 weeks old she's still exploring and also has gained confidence after being with me for a while and therefore has a harder bite and also has been chewing some things she really should not be. Can anyone help me on how to try and curve this behavior or if it comes with time. Can also someone recommend me an anti chew spray that is okay for kittens? Thank you!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
What sort of things is she chewing?

If she's getting into cords and cables, putting them in a protective plastic tube can help, or otherwise covering them. I know some people have used Bitter apple spray to discourage chewing. Honesty, though, it sounds like she's possibly started teething, so you best bet may be positive re-direction - getting her a few chewing and teething toys and re-directing her to those when she starts. 

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best thing you can do is get her something else to chew on. They have some chew toys for puppies at pet stores that I've found work well for kittens. Like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Paws-Aboard-Interactive-Pet-Play-Toy-Slinger-Throw-Toy/36470424 If she is teething you can put toys like this in the freezer to make the rubber cold, mine always liked this.

My youngest cat went through a very bad cord chewing phase. Bitter apple, lemon juice, lime juice, citris, etc did not work. She just kept on chewing, she actually liked the taste and it made her start licking the cords and chewing more. Some cats hate it though. You can always try it and see if it works.

Keeping things out of reach that you don't want her chewing on is really the best way. Kitten proofing a house is often more difficult than baby proofing though.

Last edited:

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teething time.

Mia was the same. I put habanero sauce on the power cables and she used to lick it off before chewing them. The only real way to stop it is to use a cord protector, which costs peanuts.

You only need to focus on the big cables - the ones that carry full power. The smaller ones like iphone chargers might be easier to chew but they are far less likely to injure or kill your cat.

Then redirect chewie to something else like cardboard. I did that with Mia and she still loves chewing it now.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Teething time.

Mia was the same. I put habanero sauce on the power cables and she used to lick it off before chewing them. The only real way to stop it is to use a cord protector, which costs peanuts.

You only need to focus on the big cables - the ones that carry full power. The smaller ones like iphone chargers might be easier to chew but they are far less likely to injure or kill your cat.

Then redirect chewie to something else like cardboard. I did that with Mia and she still loves chewing it now.
I have concerns about using hot sauces as chewing deterrents. If they manage to get some in an eye-- from say, rubbing their mouth because it burns and then accidentally wiping an eye while wiping their face with that stuff on a paw... OUCH! Habanero pepper is really quite strong. I grow habanero peppers. I eat habanero peppers. I love them, but I know how "brazen" they can be. Some of my Savina types are approaching 500,000 Scoville units. By way of comparison, a typical jalapeño averages more like 5,000-7,500 SU-- tame ones around 2,500 SU. Serranos are hotter, at about 10,000-20,000 SU. Cayenne runs 30,000-50,000 SU. A concentrated oil or even a sauce would be pretty wicked for cats whose sensitivity to tastes is much greater than ours. I worry about injury with stuff like this, or a possible breathing reaction. Capsaicin can cause respiratory disturbances in addition to physical pain and injury.

If the bitter sprays don't work, then a chew barrier is in order. In fact, it ought to be a first step, not a second. A small 12 V zap may or may not cause injury... depending on current. It's not voltage that's the biggest problem. It's the current. Nonetheless, cats should never be chewing on electrical cords of any size. Even if the cat doesn't get hurt, it damages the cord. Barriers stop that without hurting the cat or the cord.

Cats and teething kittens chew things. It's normal. Normal chewing or teething behavior should be redirected to appropriate chewy toys.

~Mackie

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I'm in the "Redirect, Substitute and Reward for Good Behavior" camp but when there is a dangerous situation where the cat could get injured or worse I am not against taking stronger measures if they are for the greater good.

I know that hot peppers aren't very good for a cat but, when I weigh out the risks and benefits, I think that the risk from hot peppers is less than the consequences if the cat got shocked to death from chewing on a cord.

If she was my cat, I would try to keep an eye out as much as possible to that I could redirect her to something more acceptable when she tries to satisfy her teething urge.  I'd give her something that could be "all hers" to chew on.  I like the idea of a doggie teething toy.

If any of that didn't work, I wouldn't have a problem with putting some hot sauce on some of the cords that I couldn't get her to stop chewing on.  I know it's harsh but better that than something worse happening to her.